Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
when's fruit ripe for the picking? Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
when's fruit ripe for the picking? Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
when's fruit ripe for the picking? Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
when's fruit ripe for the picking? Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
when's fruit ripe for the picking? Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
when's fruit ripe for the picking? Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
when's fruit ripe for the picking? Empty

when's fruit ripe for the picking?

Go down 
+2
Darren
windmill
6 posters
AuthorMessage
windmill

windmill

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: when's fruit ripe for the picking?   when's fruit ripe for the picking? EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 9:10 pm

Hi, I have a Pilosocereus palmerii with a nice looking fruit thats been developing for some weeks, but I'm not sure how to harvest the seeds.This is the second fruit this season - I picked the first one off and had a peek inside, not really knowing the deal, the insides were white and it soon rotted to nothing!This second fruit is still on the plant, it's turning dark blue/purple and hard.Any tips and suggestions appreciated! 
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-09-07

PostSubject: Re: when's fruit ripe for the picking?   when's fruit ripe for the picking? EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 10:04 pm

only one suggestion

1) dont eat the fruit unless it is edible

regards
Darren
Back to top Go down
prier

prier

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: when's fruit ripe for the picking?   when's fruit ripe for the picking? EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 10:25 am

I think most cacti fruit should be edible, only problem really being glochids or spines. Most of em are rather tasteless though.
Anyway back to original question, the fruit will be ready when it's soft, split and/or fallen off the plant. if it falls make sure you get it before the ants.
To clean up the seed, place fruit pulp in small takeaway container cover with water. blend briefly using barmix. let settle, seed should fall to bottom, plant crap to top. seperate layers. and ya done.
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: when's fruit ripe for the picking?   when's fruit ripe for the picking? EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 11:58 am

cactus candy? when's fruit ripe for the picking? Prickly_pear_cactus_candy_20100220 http://opuntiads.com/oblog/?p=2939 http://www.cactuscandy.com/oscommerce/
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

PostSubject: Re: when's fruit ripe for the picking?   when's fruit ripe for the picking? EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 3:52 pm

does the barmix damage the seeds??
Back to top Go down
prier

prier

PostSubject: Re: when's fruit ripe for the picking?   when's fruit ripe for the picking? EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 7:09 pm

If you do it quickly the seeds should be fine. If you leave it on too long you can turn your seeds to mush. sorry, should have put a warning with that post.
Back to top Go down
shortly

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-06-28

PostSubject: Re: when's fruit ripe for the picking?   when's fruit ripe for the picking? EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 8:29 pm

I just mush the pulp & mix it into a flask of water, let sit overnight then do the swirl n pour trick, the seeds are heavier. then dry on a fine mesh screen or old silk hanky, don't use paper towel because once dry you wont get them off without damaging the seed.
I usually try to recover as much of the pulp as i can as well.
Oh & P palmeri is quite edible, although the palatability varies a lot from clone to clone
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

PostSubject: Re: when's fruit ripe for the picking?   when's fruit ripe for the picking? EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 8:35 pm

this sounds heaps better than the way i have been doing it! i have been picking every individual seed from the fruit with a stanley knife blade... it takes me ages!!! i had 12 fruit off my golden barrel and got hundreds of seeds... there is another 20 or so fruit almost ready to come off again so i will do your methods next time.
Back to top Go down
prier

prier

PostSubject: Re: when's fruit ripe for the picking?   when's fruit ripe for the picking? EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 11:20 pm

I wouldn't bother doing this method with golden barrel fruit. let the fruit dry and the seed will just fall out.
Back to top Go down
shortly

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-06-28

PostSubject: Re: when's fruit ripe for the picking?   when's fruit ripe for the picking? EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 7:20 pm

Sorry i should have said that the above technique is good on non-dehiscent fruits.
Anything that produces a dry fruit is best left to dry & just shake the seed out once the fruit splits/opens.
horses for courses
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

PostSubject: Re: when's fruit ripe for the picking?   when's fruit ripe for the picking? EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 10:21 am

OK cool that sounds like a better option when's fruit ripe for the picking? Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-10

PostSubject: Re: when's fruit ripe for the picking?   when's fruit ripe for the picking? EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 8:41 pm

Great thoughts.

Do you know if Ferocacti need another Fero to get polinated and fertilised or whether multiflowers will do?? My F.latispinus made 5 fruits and they are all blank, hollow. I guess they were not fertilised right with my hand pollination, I just forced them to quit the flower and make false fruits!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: when's fruit ripe for the picking?   when's fruit ripe for the picking? Empty

Back to top Go down

when's fruit ripe for the picking?
Page 1 of 1