Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Fruit bearing cacti Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Fruit bearing cacti Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Fruit bearing cacti Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Fruit bearing cacti Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Fruit bearing cacti Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Fruit bearing cacti Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Fruit bearing cacti Empty

Fruit bearing cacti

Go down 
+6
PD
Kada
sacred pedro
Hellonasty
Gracie
shortly
10 posters
AuthorMessage
shortly

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-06-28

PostSubject: Fruit bearing cacti   Fruit bearing cacti EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 7:06 pm

does anyone have any edible fruit bearing cacti or has anyone read any references to cactus fruit being used?
We have a few Opuntias, ficus-indica of course (allways room for more), all the others are noxious weeds in Qld. Got a few Epi's that produce very nice fruit & the ubiquitous dragon fruits.
Back to top Go down
Gracie
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2008-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Fruit bearing cacti   Fruit bearing cacti EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 9:25 pm

I have a book of recipes for cactus fruit and pads and a friend makes a fantastic cactus wine!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kilomuncher.com
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Fruit bearing cacti   Fruit bearing cacti EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 10:37 pm

Cereus Peruvianus has edible frut along with Trichocereus. I'm not sure how palitable they would be?

Hylo is the best for fruit I've seen.
Back to top Go down
sacred pedro

sacred pedro

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Fruit bearing cacti   Fruit bearing cacti EmptyFri Jul 11, 2008 11:43 pm

cactus wine? sounds nice. to bad i dont drink anymore. i wouldnt mind trying to make it though, does your friend have a recipe gracie?
Back to top Go down
Kada
Calm and Collected
Kada

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Fruit bearing cacti   Fruit bearing cacti EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 5:42 am

many species have nice fruit. Cereus, trichocereus, hylocereus, myrtillocactus, opuntia sellinocereus (i always forget the spelling of that one!) etc. i think all cacti fruits are likely at least -ok- tasting, just gotta find a nice fleshy one that is big Smile

Hellonasty, i think so too...dragon fruit is ...........................................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........................
Back to top Go down
http://www.kadasgarden.com
shortly

PostSubject: Re: Fruit bearing cacti   Fruit bearing cacti EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 7:52 am

Im a bit cautious about Trich's given what some Ppl use them for, happy to use them for grafting stocks though. You can "improve" the flavor of at least some by keeping the water up to them and feeding some sulphate of potash, definately works with Epi's & Cereus Sp? (no idear which Cereus it is but the fruit taste like lemon mango)
Whats the title of your book Gracie? sounds like it could be a winner with the boss.
Currently i have plants and or seedlings of hylocereus undatus "red flesh", (i'd still like to get the white fleshed one); Selenicereus megalanthus; Cereus, Neoraimondia herzogiana a couple of Echinocereus and a few assorted Epi's. We've even tried a few Mamm's; be carefull of the milky sapped ones.

Last edited by shortly on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PD
Calm and Collected
PD

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Fruit bearing cacti   Fruit bearing cacti EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 1:24 pm

Trichocereus spachianus is about the only tricho i have found to have nice fruit, the rest are pretty bland imo. I like cereus fruit, there is an exceptional one at Fields garden.
Back to top Go down
Kada
Calm and Collected
Kada

Number of posts : 204

PostSubject: Re: Fruit bearing cacti   Fruit bearing cacti EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 2:16 pm

Cereus jamacaru have good fruit Smile i have not tried C. peruvianus but i assume its similar
Back to top Go down
http://www.kadasgarden.com
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Fruit bearing cacti   Fruit bearing cacti EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 2:47 pm

Mammillaria fruit is edible, most taste like somewhat like strawberries ranging from very bland to delicious. The flowers of Mammillarias are also edible and often taste very sweet provided you get the whole flower. the base usually has nectar.
I have also tried the fruit of melocactus and it was alright.
Also Epithelantha fruit is okay, some people claim you can get certain effects from consuming heaps but this bulls*it. I'd rather keep the seeds for sowing. I am also a tad cautious about Trichs in general other than as grafting stocks to mate... i did try T.spachianus and it tasted alright. hylocereus undatus is of course good and the yellow/white fruited one is supposed to be even better.
the best cactus fruit of all is reputed to be that of Echinocereus stramineus.
Back to top Go down
shortly

PostSubject: Re: Fruit bearing cacti   Fruit bearing cacti EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 5:41 pm

Would love to get a cutting from the exceptional Cereus from Fields garden PD.
Interesting to hear about the Epithelantha, bugger though, i gave away all but 2 of my seedlings because i wasnt game to try them.
Selenicereus is very good allthough a good clone of H undatus is better, the yellows are far too sweet for my taste. The kids love em though.
There does seem to be a huge amount of variation from clone to clone, out of the 5 Mamm bocasana seedling we kept, 4 tasted like sweet nothing but the 5th tastes like pineapple/banana.
Apparently my next mission is to make a seperator so the we can have speck free jams, fruit leathers & cordials & i can keep the seed.
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Fruit bearing cacti   Fruit bearing cacti EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 7:24 pm

shortly wrote:
be carefull of the milky sapped ones.
theres something wrong with the fruit of the milky sapped ones Question
Back to top Go down
shortly

PostSubject: Re: Fruit bearing cacti   Fruit bearing cacti EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 8:24 pm

I'm just very suspect of any plant that produces latex. after all its a chemical deterant to stop things eating it, they dont often poison their fruits but id rather not find out which is which by sticking it in my mouth.
There is lots of conflicting info out there so when it comes to latex & alkaloids Discretion is the better part of valor.
I'll just stick to looking at the latex producing Mamm's.
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Fruit bearing cacti   Fruit bearing cacti EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 8:39 pm

Oh phew... i eat my acceptable tasting Mammillaria mystax fruit and flowers occassionally and it has white latex. no ill effects there. I doubt even the milky sap of these is poisonous, they aren't euphorbias or anything. although admittedly i wouldn't be the first to volunteer to drink the latex, only eat the fruit. MmmMmmammillaria. Smile
Back to top Go down
Gracie
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Fruit bearing cacti   Fruit bearing cacti EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 9:24 pm

recipe book is from the american cactus and succulent society 1978.

as we are talking about optunia subulata...
small round sections of opuntia subulata taken at the stem tip make a decorative as well as tasty addition to a green or vegetable salad.
The new tender shoots of Trichocereuss spachianus, peeled and diced can be added to a vegetable salad.
Epiphyllum salad.
the peeled red fruit of Epiphyllums especially" Rosetta" make a delicious addition to fruit and vegetable salads.
Night Blooming CEREI
The ripe fruit, peeled, of the Night Blooming CEREI can be used in fruit and vegetable salads, for added colour and flavour.
(submitted to recipe book by Mrs "Cactus Pete")
Torch CACTUS sorbet.
Use a basic icecream or sherbet recipe, mixing in a blender, then adding the frozen fruits of Trichocereus spachianus. when smooth and creamy, eat at once.
Strawberries.
most of the Echinocereus species fruitts are juicy, rich in sugar, and may be eaten like strawberries.
Cereus Peruvianus candied fruit peel.
Remove peel from fruit, cut into small strips and wash. Place in a pan in a small amount of water. For 2 cups peel add 1 and half cups sugar. Cook slowly. when cooked enough to be transparent, and the syrup is thick, take strips of peel out of pan, separate and lay on wax paper to dry out. turn over several times until dry enought to handle.

these are just a few, there are lots fro Opuntia pads and fruit. jams, omlettes, patties , cakes, breads, salads, drinks etc.
hope this makes members try some .. me I cant wait to try my opuntia pads.
that s one way to keep the plant size under control.
Back to top Go down
Gracie
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Fruit bearing cacti   Fruit bearing cacti EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 10:03 pm

this link has very good information on cactus fruits.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg0618271414150.html
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Fruit bearing cacti   Fruit bearing cacti EmptySun Jul 13, 2008 11:54 am

Pereskia aculeata is supposed to have good fruit, and has been named the 'Barbados Gooseberry'.
Rhipsalis fruit is also edible.. the ones i tasted were very bland though.
Back to top Go down
epimadness

epimadness

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Fruit bearing cacti   Fruit bearing cacti EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 11:32 am

Dragon fruit [Hylocereus undatus]. I have one small piece but it is readily available here. A chap comes into the markets on Thursdays and will being me any amount if I let him know the day before.
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Fruit bearing cacti   Fruit bearing cacti EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 6:48 pm

SELENICEREUS MEGALANTHUS!!! drool

Pitahaya/yellow pitaya
sometimes called 'yellow dragonfruit'

omg.. by far and large the best fruit you will ever taste from a cactus. far superior to hylocereus undatus IMO.

also this produces the largest flowers of all cacti!
Back to top Go down
shortly

PostSubject: Re: Fruit bearing cacti   Fruit bearing cacti EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 2:52 pm

Found this mob on the web, dunno if they are still trading but their page looks interesting none the less.

http://desert-feast.com/cact_n_z/sc_stell.html
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733

PostSubject: Re: Fruit bearing cacti   Fruit bearing cacti EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 3:22 pm

Nice link, shortly. It's quite good to be able to browse through that list of plants.

Lewis, have you found anyone who sells S. megalanthus plants? It's one species that I'd really love to try growing.
Back to top Go down
scarab

scarab

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2009-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Fruit bearing cacti   Fruit bearing cacti EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 9:43 pm

i have this one - i recently propagated it from seeds. i could try and get you a fruit or a cut (lady at markets sells them) or could send you one of mine when they are a bit bigger
edit: yellow pitaya is what im talkin about
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: Fruit bearing cacti   Fruit bearing cacti EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 9:46 pm

Cheers for the offer mate, but another member here has already helped me out.

I'm really excited about growing this plant, although I suspect Melbourne weather may impede growth and flowering somewhat.
Back to top Go down
scarab

scarab

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2009-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Fruit bearing cacti   Fruit bearing cacti EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 10:02 pm

oh goodo. you've got yourself a challenge there! they are really nice fruit, like a kiwi thats not at all sour with a softer texture. mmmm
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: Fruit bearing cacti   Fruit bearing cacti EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 8:08 pm

Well, I'm moving into a new place soon, and one little project I have in mind is setting up a small greenhouse in which to grow fruit-bearing cacti. I've got indian fig, both the red and pearl dragonfruit and now yellow dragonfruit, so come summer time I should be able to get a reasonable crop.

A fresh, chilled dragonfruit for breakfast has to be one of the best and most refreshing ways to start the day...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fruit bearing cacti   Fruit bearing cacti Empty

Back to top Go down

Fruit bearing cacti
Page 1 of 1