Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
spring cacti flowers - Page 2 Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
spring cacti flowers - Page 2 Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
spring cacti flowers - Page 2 Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
spring cacti flowers - Page 2 Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
spring cacti flowers - Page 2 Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
spring cacti flowers - Page 2 Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
spring cacti flowers - Page 2 Empty

spring cacti flowers

Go down 
+14
salem13
Plantsoma
Hanazono
MichaelCactus
Vicki
calycium
parrotsheaven
Kada
PD
trigonus
watertrade
Hellonasty
lewis
prier
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: spring cacti flowers   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 1:41 pm

another pic;
spring cacti flowers - Page 2 Gym_0013
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: spring cacti flowers   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 2:01 pm

one of my freaks flowered:
spring cacti flowers - Page 2 Pics1_10
spring cacti flowers - Page 2 Pics1_11
with plenty more to come!
it is a Mammillaria spinosissima fma. monstrose cultivar 'Un Pico' fma. cristata. (try saying that 5 times as fast as you can Laughing .. its a good one to confuse the hell out of the laymen with).
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: spring cacti flowers   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 8:17 pm

More! Please!

....Awesome photos
Back to top Go down
prier

prier

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: spring cacti flowers   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 11:16 am

Nice shots Lewis, I can't wait to see your collection in the full.
I dunno about those lophy turb pics, don't get me wrong they are really nice plants. but to be honest the flowers aren't that showy.
I forgot to bring my camera to the interent cafe, so you'll all have to wait. I have heaps of photos of flowering plants. I'll upload em to the gallery next chance i get.
Back to top Go down
PD
Calm and Collected
PD

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: spring cacti flowers   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 11:59 am

Yeh not really big and showy, more fragile and precious Smile, kinda like the flowers on my haworthia, tiny but beautiful. ill try get a pic later but most dont turn out as the flower is so small and my camera is so crap.

Quote :
it is a Mammillaria spinosissima fma. monstrose cultivar 'Un Pico' fma. cristata

Is that the plant you found at CC?
I can see it looks like its starting to form a crest but where does the monstrose bit come into it lewis?? Wouldn't it just be fma cristata like most cristrate plants are referred to, i thought cristation was a recognised form of monstrosity and therefore no need to call it blah blah blah fma monstrose fma cristata. Just seems like a bit of a mouthful and unnecessary really
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: spring cacti flowers   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 12:03 pm

haha PD don't be so fast to jump to conclusions. you see, Un pico is precisely the monstrose form of Mammillaira spinosissima. it was just given a cultivar name to make i sound cuter and more laymen friendly. this also helps to sell it buy the hundred. 'monstrose' isn't the nicest sounding word eh. .... just like Mammillaria bocasana monstrose is called FRED (after the guy who discovered it and whom hopefully didn't bear a resemblace to it). Wink
p.s cresting is a completely different type of growth mutation to monstrose growth in the accpeted sense (yes cresting is and can be considered to be a form of monstrose but is also termed fasciated.
Back to top Go down
PD
Calm and Collected
PD

PostSubject: Re: spring cacti flowers   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 12:15 pm

So it would be M. spinosissima "uno pico" fma cristata, if uno pico is the recognised monstrose form then there is no need for "monstrosus" in the description at all.

You see where im comin from?
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: spring cacti flowers   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 12:28 pm

Laughing Rolling Eyes okay, yes PD i get ya. Wink
time for some Echinocereus knippelianus action:
spring cacti flowers - Page 2 Echino10
spring cacti flowers - Page 2 Echino11
is it just me or are the flowers a tad less pink than the norm.?
Back to top Go down
PD
Calm and Collected
PD

PostSubject: Re: spring cacti flowers   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 1:04 pm

spring cacti flowers - Page 2 Img0425nq7

Lil Haworthia for ya Prier Very Happy

Quote :
p.s cresting is a completely different type of growth mutation to monstrose growth in the accpeted sense

yes iam aware of that lewis Rolling Eyes

Sometimes communicating here can be hard.

Its not much of a monstrose really i mean how does reducing spine numbers to a singular add up to being monstrose, i guess like you said, the ppl breeding these things wanna sell em by the million, wack a nice lil variety name on a sport and away you go. I guess im used to seeing monstrose as a gnarly twisted almost unrecognisable form of the original, there i go again, using my mental images to get me in trouble sheesh.

hehe, sometimes i think you just like using big words lewis Razz
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: spring cacti flowers   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Nice Haworthia. Smile

PD wrote:
Its not much of a monstrose really i mean how does reducing spine numbers to a singular add up to being monstrose, i guess like you said, the ppl breeding these things wanna sell em by the million, wack a nice lil variety name on a sport and away you go. I guess im used to seeing monstrose as a gnarly twisted almost unrecognisable form of the original, there i go again, using my mental images to get me in trouble sheesh.
You would be surprised by what may be termed monstrose. Wink it can be anything really. 'monstrose' is just a broad encompassing term for any atypical mutated growth differing in some way from what is typical of a species. it can be ANY form of unusual growth that spontaneously appears on a specimen. it is not known what causes it, theories ranging from viral infections to hormonal abnormalities to radiation and excessive fertilizer have been proposed, none proven. it is known, however that grafting cacti and pushing them very hard can increase the chance of monstrose or crested growwth appearing. so rapid growth acceleration may play a part in some cases. anyway this growth may take the form of less spines, more spines, completely lacking spines, more wool, less wool, unusual growth tips, distorted ribs/tubercle structure, cresting, rapid offsetting (assuming it is unusual for the species), repetitive dichotomous branching, many heads arrising from one (as in some 'polytomic' monstrose cacti) flowering for the top of a tubercle in mammillarias, producing distorted flowers... anything really. many cultivars of cacti can be considered monstrose. many Astrophytum cultivars included. in EXTREME cases (eg. in FRED) the growth is completely distorted and unrecogniseable as being the species (in this case Mammillaria bocasana). reproduction may also be affected with the specimen incapable of setting viable seed, producing only deformed flowers or being completely unable to produce the required naughty bits.

'Un Pico' can therefore be considered monstrose on the basis of its single long spine per tubercle. although in some cases on a stable plant there may be none to several. also sometimes on the completely spineless tubercles there is a tiny green thing coming out of the areoles (..don't know the technical term for that). It is also, or should i say some specimens, prone to reversion to normal M.spinosissima growth with many spines suddenly for no apparent reason. interestingly, this mutation is able to be transmitted genetically, and so it is produced commerically by the thousand. apparently most seedlings will revert back to normal M.spinosissima but some will be 'Un Pico'. quite remarkable for a mutation. this also explains the massive variation amongst the plants labelled as 'Un Pico' commercially, often ranging from near spineless to near normal spinosissima but with slightly less spines.
Smile
Back to top Go down
PD
Calm and Collected
PD

PostSubject: Re: spring cacti flowers   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 3:18 pm

So un pico is a sport that can be reproduced by seed? That is interesting lewis, sort of takes away from tha mutant part a bit though for my liking.

Quote :
there is a tiny green thing coming out of the areoles

Wouldnt be the vestigial leaves would it?

Thanks for the detailed description lewis, hope you arent too bored on the school holidays mate Smile
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: spring cacti flowers   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 4:25 pm

the only other monstrose form of a cactus i can think of that is capable of being transmitted genetically via seeds is Cereus peruvianus monstrose. seed from this is supposed to result in 50%+ monstrose seedlings. (yes, CPM's do flower ocassionally, usually on a reverted rib)
re: vestigial leaves: googled it but not sure mate.
PD wrote:

Thanks for the detailed description lewis, hope you arent too bored on the school holidays mate Smile
oh, was it that obvious? Smile
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: spring cacti flowers   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 4:42 pm

lewis wrote:

is it just me or are the flowers a tad less pink than the norm.?
I just found the answer as to why; it's actually an Echinocereus knippelianus v.kruegeri.
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: spring cacti flowers   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2008 5:11 pm

Now if only you could cross that one with the monstrose FRED clone. Be something like Mammilocereus bocalianus X FRED Krueger!!! Be like Nightmare on Cactus street: The Mother in Laws Cushion or something... Oh yeah!! That's freakin' gold!!!

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
What a Face What a Face What a Face
cyclops cyclops
Laughing bounce

drunken
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
Vicki
Calm and Collected
Vicki

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: spring cacti flowers   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 6:37 am

Omg Trig that is hilarious, now when are one of you experts gunna do it? lol!
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: spring cacti flowers   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 5:58 pm

Laughing Laughing lol!
Back to top Go down
MichaelCactus
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: spring cacti flowers   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 04, 2008 6:14 pm

Just to add to what Lewis said about the Un Pico, some being nearly completely spineless, i have noticed with myne, i can just knock the spines and theyre gone, so perhaps the spineless ones are just shipping accidents?
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: spring cacti flowers   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 2:46 pm

more from today:

Gymnocalycium bruchii
spring cacti flowers - Page 2 Flower10
spring cacti flowers - Page 2 Flower11

the aptly named Echinocereus viridiflorus (literally, 'green flower'):
very nice strong lemon scent!
spring cacti flowers - Page 2 Flower12

and i saved the best for last. This is an Echinocereus laui that ONLY PRODUCES CRESTED FLOWERS!:
spring cacti flowers - Page 2 Flower13

spring cacti flowers - Page 2 Flower14

spring cacti flowers - Page 2 Flower15

(all flowers it has ever had have been crested.. and the other 3 buds for this year are also crested)
Very Happy Very Happy i love it!
unusual for this species it has never produced an offset so thus far i have been unable to propagate vegetatively, i assume offsets would also have crested flowers. i should lop off the top, graft it, make it go crazy, then detach all the offsets produced by the base and make my own cultivar! cyclops
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: spring cacti flowers   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 3:49 pm

Very nice lewis. I've got a heap of shots too just no time to up them. Hope I can get them up soon.
Back to top Go down
Hanazono
Astromaniac
Hanazono

Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: 2008 spring   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 1:56 pm

Here is my flowering cactus I saw last week. I am away from home now. I think I can see more flowers when I came home.
spring cacti flowers - Page 2 2753316190044113659S425x425Q85
Astrophytum asterias cv super kabuto, grafted
spring cacti flowers - Page 2 2240498660044113659S425x425Q85
Astrophytum asterias cv hanazono kabuto, degrafted own root
spring cacti flowers - Page 2 2303703340044113659S425x425Q85
Astrophytum myriostigma
spring cacti flowers - Page 2 2105622120044113659S425x425Q85
Discocactus heptacanthus v griseus, grafted
spring cacti flowers - Page 2 2308828510044113659S425x425Q85
Mammillaria senilis v albiflora, sown seed on 02/09/07 grafted, 1st flowering of this plant
spring cacti flowers - Page 2 2583252890044113659S425x425Q85
Mammillaria herrerae, grafted
spring cacti flowers - Page 2 2385031590044113659S425x425Q85
Mammillaria luethyi, a short grafting stock remained and in soil
Just start flowering I think I can see more flowes next week.
Back to top Go down
http://frank-southofaridland.blogspot.com/
MichaelCactus
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: spring cacti flowers   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 3:49 pm

Nice crested flowers Lewis, did you know it had them before you got it?

Awsome Han! Wanna trade my SkxCap and Hakuun for your measly hanazono Razz
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: spring cacti flowers   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 5:06 pm

MichaelCactus wrote:
Nice crested flowers Lewis, did you know it had them before you got it?
No.. it was a nice surprise! Smile
Back to top Go down
Plantsoma

Plantsoma

Number of posts : 21

PostSubject: Re: spring cacti flowers   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 5:16 pm

I posted a few photos here a few weeks ago, they appear to be gone Sad
I think they were still here after the major post losses a few weeks ago.
I will post again when i have time.

[EDIT] oops, i posted in another thread. all good.
Back to top Go down
http://flickr.com/photos/plantsoma/
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: spring cacti flowers   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 7:16 pm

Thelocactus bicolor var. schwarzii

spring cacti flowers - Page 2 Thelocactusbicolorvar01

spring cacti flowers - Page 2 Thelocactusbicolorvar02
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
Plantsoma

Plantsoma

Number of posts : 21

PostSubject: Re: spring cacti flowers   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 11:56 am

I have a flower coming on for the first time for this cactus. It was labeled Trichocereus camarguensis when i bought it 3 years ago. It has a really deep red flower bud and the pictures ive found on the net show a green bud with white flowers. The column certainly looks like a Trichocereus camarguensis but can anyone help as to why the flower bud is red? I can't wait to see the whole flower!

spring cacti flowers - Page 2 DSC04350_SML

spring cacti flowers - Page 2 DSC04346_SML

Also, does anyone else have loads of trouble when inserting pictures into posts? No matter where the cursor is when i add an image to a post, it puts the picture at the top and sometimes i lose the first few words of text, and have to reformat and move everything around Razz
Back to top Go down
http://flickr.com/photos/plantsoma/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: spring cacti flowers   spring cacti flowers - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

spring cacti flowers
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next