Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs? Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs? Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs? Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs? Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs? Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs? Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs? Empty

Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
region4

region4

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2010-12-13

PostSubject: Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs?   Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs? EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 2:28 pm

Picked up this 4" seedling yesterday at Parklea Markets to go into the garden bed once the weather in Sydney improves a bit and it's been acclimatised to stronger light. The central spines are up to 2-2.5" long. Would this be a Trichocereus chiloensis, maybe?

Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs? Imgp2015

Much less recently, the Copiapoa sp. at left came from the former Arizona Cacti Nursery, Box Hill in 1998 or 1999 but I've never been 100% confident as to its correct ID. C. humilis? C. taltalensis? It also features in the background of photo #1 where its body form is clearer.

Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs? Imgp2012

And finally, this Melocactus is the last survivor of my first collection, purchased at Flemington Markets in 1987 as a 2" plant and victim to just about every grower's mistake in the book. My guess is M. ernestii but some photos of M. ernestii show different-looking plants to this one.

Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs? Imgp2013

Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs?   Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs? EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 6:51 pm

Your first plant is Pilosocerus Azureus

Second I think is Copiapoa Humilis but i'm not very good at ID'ing them.

Not real sure on the Melo they are a difficult one to ID. Sorry.
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs?   Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs? EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 8:26 am

The first plant is NOT a Pilosocerus Azureus.

It might be a Stretsonia coryne though. Post back with some update photo
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs?   Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs? EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 5:35 pm

Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs? 00213This plant is setsonia coryne.
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

PostSubject: Re: Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs?   Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs? EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 5:38 pm

Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs? 00711The plant in the middle is pilosocereus azureus and the one on the right which i think is very similar to yours is neocardinasia herzogiana.
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

PostSubject: Re: Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs?   Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs? EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 5:40 pm

Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs? 00310Here is a better pic hope it helps. Neocardinasia herzogiana
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

PostSubject: Re: Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs?   Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs? EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 5:45 pm

The copiapoa is humilis and next to it is Hamatocanthus setispinus il show a pic of mine flowering.
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

PostSubject: Re: Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs?   Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs? EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 5:47 pm

Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs? 01411Hamatocanthus setispinus
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

PostSubject: Re: Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs?   Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs? EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 5:53 pm

And the melo is either ernestii or estevesii but i would be guessing hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs?   Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs? EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 9:45 pm

Well, sorry to sound bold, but it is not "Neocardinasia herzogiana" either.

I am so sure it's Stretsonia [only young] that I would even place a bet I think.

I can argue, but have you any arguements about it not being a Stretsonia?

On spot ID for the Hamatocanthus, did not notice it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs?   Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs? Empty

Back to top Go down

Name that plant! -- can anyone confirm IDs?
Page 1 of 1