Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing Empty

Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing

Go down 
+13
mutant
lewis
MichaelCactus
Kada
Banjankri
San Rainbow
calycium
slim6y
parrotsheaven
watertrade
trigonus
PD
Hellonasty
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing Empty
PostSubject: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing EmptyWed May 21, 2008 10:46 am

Well it looks like a few of my larger grafted cacti are beginning to show signs of a fungal disease. The disease is causing a red "Rust" like discolouration of the skin and small patches are beginning to fall in. I have treated them with Sulphor and Chopper Oxychloride and this seems to have stopped the damage.

At first I thought mites but I treated them with a miticide and this only made thigns worse. So I figure it must be fungal.

It looks like the plants will survive but that are badly scarred.

Any thoughts or exprience ?

Last edited by Hellonasty on Thu May 22, 2008 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PD
Calm and Collected
PD

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing EmptyWed May 21, 2008 4:42 pm

Doesnt sound like fungal disease HN. Does it start out as a lil orange or white dot? If so it is more likely the work of Chelinidea vittiger The cactus bug or some such sucking insect pest. I regularly see the wounds where they have been feeding on some of my trichocereus plants but they are never really a problem. A few of my TBMs were hit when i shifted them into the shadehouse a few weeks back and caused a bit of damage but that is the worst it has been.
As for control i have no idea, i only really worry about using pesticides when things are out of hand..... cept for slugs, those buggers get impaled on a bridgesii spine and placed on a nice comfy lil bed of salt.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing EmptyWed May 21, 2008 4:59 pm

I don't think its Chelinidea vittiger. The plants are all inside my grow room and I think I have figured the problem. Due to the colder wether I have blocked off most of the ventilation to keep the warm air in. Problem I am creating a perfect environment for rot.

I will post a pic tomorrow and you will see what i'm talkiing about. I'm 99% sure it is what people call rust. Certainly does not look like the work of a bug I have ever seen, except maybe spider mite and i'm 100% sure its not them little buggers.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing EmptyWed May 21, 2008 5:24 pm

Check this post out over at The Nook. Mine looks pretty much the same as that, but worse.....much worse.

http://www.thenook.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=53172&hl=rot+skin
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing EmptyWed May 21, 2008 5:38 pm

I too have unfortunately lost a couple of cacti to orange rot already since the cold weather, nothing too special, but a little dissapointing. Is there any chance of posting a pic or two?

Quote :
..... cept for slugs, those buggers get impaled on a bridgesii spine and placed on a nice comfy lil bed of salt.

PD you sadist!!! Shocked

haha Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing EmptyWed May 21, 2008 6:05 pm

Yeah mate I will post a pic tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
watertrade
Calm and Collected
watertrade

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing EmptyWed May 21, 2008 9:02 pm

Have a lophophora that developed a
sunken orange thing - kind of rot. I watched it for a while wondering what to
do. It seemed to start just below the surface as a slight orange
discolouration, then the flesh around the areole would get this orange crust and
the flesh would sink in... Sounds great... anyway I decided to use some nasty
chemicals and it seems to have dried up. I used Bunnings - 'pest spray' a three
in one product containing

1 Insecticide
2 Fungicide
3 Miticide

a systemic chemical

it seems to have dried up and growth continues..... Yay

Have a lophophora that developed a
sunken orange thing - kind of rot. I watched it for a while wondering what to
do. It seemed to start just below the surface as a slight orange
discolouration, then the flesh around the areole would get this orange crust and
the flesh would sink in... Sounds great... anyway I decided to use some nasty
chemicals and it seems to have dried up. I used Bunnings - 'pest spray' a three
in one product containing

1 Insecticide
2 Fungicide
3 Miticide

a systemic chemical

it seems to have dried up and growth continues..... Yay

Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing Lophbi15
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing EmptyThu May 22, 2008 1:40 pm

Mine started exactly the same as Watertrade's did above and as of today is diseased Sad the rot was al the way through the centre. Such a waste.

This is a picture of the same graft on the 9th of April:

Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing 2402674410_488b9e7ff5

Now a few pics from today:

Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing 2513112656_94f3d061a6

It looked bad so I cut it open to find out:

Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing 2513113156_7785c2fd66
Back to top Go down
watertrade
Calm and Collected
watertrade

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing EmptyThu May 22, 2008 3:16 pm

Shocked

wow.. thats pretty nasty... and fatal by the looks of it. ( do you think? )

i'm going to have to find a systemic fungicide for mine. I don't want that.
i noticed a little spek of orange on one of my other grafts too....
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing EmptyThu May 22, 2008 3:27 pm

Yeah I have about 6 larger grafts that have tiny orange speck. I trated them all first with a liquid fungicide (systemic) and then dusted with sulphor and copper olxychloride. I hope it works.

And yes that was fatal. It was hard throwing it away !!! i didn't take a pic but there was even more rot near the core than what you can see.
Back to top Go down
watertrade
Calm and Collected
watertrade

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing EmptyThu May 22, 2008 3:44 pm

what was the fungicide you used?
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing EmptyThu May 22, 2008 4:09 pm

The chemical is Potassium phosphite, it is found in a few commercial products. I used Yates Anti Rot just because I had it lying around. I'm not sure how effective it will be, I used it last year on seedlings and had no problems. Time will tell.
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing EmptyThu May 22, 2008 5:24 pm

Definitely looks like orange rot. Very nasty stuff. Sorry to see your graft go to waste. Unfortunately I guess it happens to all of us once or twice (hopefully not more than that). Seems strange that a graft would get such a nasty infection. Especially on such a rot resitant cactus as Pereskiopsis. My understanding is that grafting reduces the risk of rot etc. in rot prone cacti (unless the union came in contact with some pathogen, not that hard when you think about all the airbourne stuff we can't even see). My only thought is that possibly there was some kind of pathogen laying dormant within the graft union. When the weather changed and you reduced airflow it's quite possible that the pathogen awoke and decimated the scion. Is the stock effected at all?
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing EmptyThu May 22, 2008 5:28 pm

I wonder if you kept slicing till there was no rot and dusted it with sulphur if it would heal over and maybe pups would then grow. I have seen this done in other cactus namely an astrophytum sp(can't think of its name) that was grafted
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing EmptyThu May 22, 2008 10:11 pm

Trig,

The stock is not effected at all only the scion. I have no idea how it happened, altho it appears as if it definetly started on the skin and once it weakened the skin it was able to get inside.

Betty,

I just cut my losses and got rid of it as I have a few other plants I'm worried about. I don't want it spreading. But I think it may be too late Sad
Back to top Go down
watertrade
Calm and Collected
watertrade

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing EmptyThu May 22, 2008 10:59 pm

Hellonasty wrote:
Trig,

I just cut my losses and got rid of it as I have a few other plants I'm worried about. I don't want it spreading. But I think it may be too late Sad

hmmm don't say that! I'm hoping to save mine!. :bball: Suspect ❤
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing EmptyThu May 22, 2008 11:13 pm

Got any updated pics ? It would be good to show how it develops so people can avoid our miss fortune in the future.
Back to top Go down
watertrade
Calm and Collected
watertrade

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing EmptyFri May 23, 2008 9:40 am

I will post some pics when I get home tonight-

Another observation I have had is that the cacti flesh very subtly changes colour from the dark green to a paler pastel green just before the orange patches start.

I'm going to pick up a few different types of fungicide on the way home and start a campaign of rotating treatments. Go down fighting. I name this
'Shock and awe'

Back to top Go down
watertrade
Calm and Collected
watertrade

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing EmptyFri May 23, 2008 9:53 am

I have done some reading and think this could be 'Fusarium oxysporum' which would certainly suit my growing conditions. Very moist (wet) and often following a scarid fly problem... It seems to cause the same problems for 'christmas cacti' growers.
any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing EmptyFri May 23, 2008 11:27 am

WT,

Yep I rekn you got it. I had a pretty bad fungus gnat problem last christmas and I forogt to treat my plants for bacteria. I had a look around and the damage caused by said fungus is consistant with what I got. It lives in the soil so I would suggest doing a soil drench with a fungiside.

Fingers crossed for the rest of my plants.

Last edited by Hellonasty on Fri May 23, 2008 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing EmptyFri May 23, 2008 11:38 am

HT what would you recommend to treat bacteria for your cacti? I think I better treat my greenhouse before I lose too many plants.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing EmptyFri May 23, 2008 11:46 am

Isn't fusarium 'agent orange'?

It causes 'wilt' in several plants and trees.

I assume it affects cacti to.

Is it controllable?
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing EmptyFri May 23, 2008 12:32 pm

Trig,

By HT I think you mean me ?? Anyway I will answer it. I'm not sure everyone should worry too much but, I think I remmber you having a fungus gnat problem too trig. If you did then I would suggest making up a solution of water and a good fungicide. Do the plants and a soil drench.

As I said earlier I have used Potassium phosphite a systemic fungicide with the addition of Sulphor and Copper Oxychlorite. A mate of mine uses Mancozeb and says its pretty good but i'm not very exprienced with fungicides.
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing EmptyFri May 23, 2008 1:29 pm

Yeah meant you mate, sorry not sure why I wrote "HT". Yeah had a bit of f ungus gnat problem, they have died off with the cold, but wouldn't want to lose any really valuable cacti.

I have some fongarid, maybe I should use that? No, I don't know much about them either, prefer not to have to use them really, but might be a good idea.
Back to top Go down
watertrade
Calm and Collected
watertrade

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing EmptyFri May 23, 2008 1:32 pm

I was going to get some fongarid and give it a go - a very systemic fungicide apparently.
and it comes in a 'serious' looking packet.
Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing Empty

Back to top Go down

Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next