Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 Empty

Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing

Go down 
+13
mutant
lewis
MichaelCactus
Kada
Banjankri
San Rainbow
calycium
slim6y
parrotsheaven
watertrade
trigonus
PD
Hellonasty
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
watertrade
Calm and Collected
watertrade

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 EmptyFri May 23, 2008 7:15 pm

I had a look at the fongarid and the info said it doesn't treat Fusarium. (if thats what I have) I picked up some Yates anti rot - who knows if it will help.

I had some Astro capricorne that developed orange rot - I ended up cutting off the rotten roots and scrubbed it with mancozeb - it seems to have worked.
Question
Back to top Go down
watertrade
Calm and Collected
watertrade

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 EmptyFri May 23, 2008 7:16 pm

and an updated pic.

Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 Lophbi16
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 EmptyFri May 23, 2008 8:59 pm

Yeah I reckon fongarid is probably a pretty nasty chemical. Might give the mancozeb a go. Have heard good things about it.

Your graft looks to be holding it's own at this point WT, fingers crossed mate.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
calycium
calycium

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 EmptyFri May 23, 2008 9:49 pm

Best of luck with it WT. Be a shame to lose such a fine specimen, graft and all.
Good info on combating fungus though

Last edited by calycium on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 EmptyFri May 23, 2008 10:02 pm

calycium wrote:
I have some small flies buzzing around my new graft.
Arrrrgh, I hope it aint fungus gnats !!!
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 EmptyFri May 23, 2008 10:22 pm

I have scarid fly at the moment, found a young astro soft today with the roots gone.

I have found Rogor will kill them if plants are watered with it. I have many buzzing around now so must give them a drink tomorrow. Its toxic so care must be taken but you get long protection with it. Kills them as they hatch out of their eggs in the soil

Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 Seedli19
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 EmptyFri May 23, 2008 10:25 pm

Quote :
Arrrrgh, I hope it aint fungus gnats !!!

Certainly sounds like it! Stupid bloody things. Seems to be an edipemic of some sort. I hate them ALOT!!!
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 EmptyFri May 23, 2008 10:30 pm

Ooooohhh that's nasty Betty. Don't know if I can stand looking at this thread anymore Crying or Very sad so sad seeing cacti like this. Damn gnats & damn cold weather!!!
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 EmptyFri May 23, 2008 10:35 pm

They love moist warm spots too, I lost so many seedlings on the heat mat last winter with them, by the time I learnt what they were it was too late .................. I think that is half the reason I have not turned in on this year

Damn cruel things they are Sad
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 EmptyFri May 23, 2008 10:46 pm

Yeah I'm really starting to hate this colder weather, most of my cacti are just going dormant. It's times like this i'm glad we don't live in a real cold country.

Betty,

Bummer on that astro. Personally I haven't had much sucess with rogor when dealing with fungus gnats. I do have a little trick, no make that 2, and will start another thread soonish.
Back to top Go down
watertrade
Calm and Collected
watertrade

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 EmptySat May 24, 2008 12:14 pm

I did read somewhere that once you kill the gnats there are often a lot of damaged roots that can then rot. so kill the gnats then get ready for the rot.

I'm not really sure but I will be carefull following a gnat problem.

Grrrr.
Back to top Go down
San Rainbow
Calm and Collected
San Rainbow

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 EmptySat May 24, 2008 12:34 pm

gnats Evil or Very Mad
I have a small gnat problem at the mo, would love to hear your remedies so I can eradicate them in spring, once and for all!
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 EmptySat May 24, 2008 1:55 pm

I just saw this when looking up scarid fly:

Soil pests

Soil pests can range from fungus gnat larvae, wire worm, root weevil, non-beneficial nematodes and
certain types of moth eggs. Some of the more common pests in soil are:

• cutworms
  • carrot rustic fly
  • white grubs
  • stable flies
  • citrus weevil
  • craneflies
  • billbugs
  • cranberry gurdlers
  • armyworms
  • rhoedodernian weevils
  • houseflies
  • scarid fly

These and most other soil dwelling pests can be controlled with regular applications of beneficial
nematodes
. Nematodes can attack and control over 250 types of soil pests; we
recommend an application of nematodes in early spring and late fall.

I think where possible biocontrol is the way to go.

I am unsure if scarid fly occurs in the tropics so I am not sure if I am safe from it or not.

It also suggests fungus gnats are controlled this way too... I wonder if these nematodes are available here? I also wonder if there's some 'companion' plants that deter the flies and gnats? That way you can plant them around your pots or near your precious cacti and they're particularly safer.

I know chemicals are the most effective - but we all know that these pestecides are not very selective in what they kill as well.

As far as fusarium or other fungi go - I think you're left mostly with a chemical option.

I know for peas you can use 1 part milk to 4 parts water to control powdery mildew - but I don't think that's the same with many fungi (unfortunately).
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 EmptySat May 24, 2008 3:42 pm

Slim6y,

Fungus Gnats don't disriminate and will occur anywhere including the tropics, they are even harder to control once you get them. I don't want to get too far off topic but yes bio control is available for fungus gnats, mites called Hypoaspis miles will search and kill the gnat larvae. The problem for bio control is it is very very expensive at this point in time.

As I said before I will or anyone else can if they want create a new topic for fungus gnats. There is plenty to talk about and killing them off reqires a systematic approach or a very harsh chem.
Back to top Go down
Banjankri

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 EmptySun May 25, 2008 9:31 am

Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 Dscf3610

Started off as a small orange dot on the upper left where the darker red is.
This didn't seem to be spreading so i just kept an eye on it.
It was then placed in full sun for a day during a recent house move. This burnt the side with the dot and since then its spreading like mad along the burn.

So far i've done nothing but place it in filtered light and kept it dry.

Thinking i'll give it the chop tomorrow after i pick up some sulphor and a new blade.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 EmptyThu May 29, 2008 2:00 pm

Banjankri,

I would probly cut it too. Your doing the right thing keep it dry and allow plenty of air flow. Just be careful as other plants can contract the rot. The spores are carried in th air, on tools, clothes and pots etc.
Back to top Go down
Banjankri

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 EmptyThu May 29, 2008 9:27 pm

contract the rot after i've disturbed it or all the time?

Also i've picked up some copper oxychloride, i'm guessing i just sprinkle it onto the cut?
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 EmptyFri May 30, 2008 5:03 pm

Yeah you can sprinkle straght on or you can disolve in water. I think its better to use as a powder for your purpose.

As for the spores, they in the air around us all the time, you can't see them. Just be mindful if you have conditions that favour disease, as it is possible for it to spead from one plant to another.
Back to top Go down
Banjankri

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 6:31 pm

Made the cut, sprinkled with copper. Few days later the red returned only this time deeper.

Turns out the copper stained it the second time and it wasn't a reemergence of the rot . I sprinkled some onto some pachanoi stock graft scraps to test this theory. They turned a deep red in 2 days directly under the skin beneath the copper

Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 DSCF3663

I'm continuing to keep isolated at this point just in case though.
Back to top Go down
Kada
Calm and Collected
Kada

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 4:44 am

i am betting that last one is fungal. which is why it spread on the burnt part. just a hunch.

i sometimes get small orange dots on mine too (mostly pereskiopsis grafts). playing with different things over the years i found it is almost *always* caused by 2 things. high humdity/moisture and bugs/bumps.

what i have noticed is that bugs (like caterpillars slugs etc) can eat the cactus bits without really harming the cactus. where the damage comes is from huid conditions and/or poop. bug feces inside open wounds just SCREAM for infection! i have managed to cure everyone of mine that began to get orange rot by simply keep them dry and in good light (mine are always kept in full sun year round, so no "getting used to the light" problems here).

i think this is why pereskiopsis grafts get it more than others is simply due to more water around. i see it now and then on my hylocereus grafts as well. and now that it is the rainy season, i have had a few more spring up.

as for scarid flies or whatever they are called....i don't know about them other than they are very lethal.....i lost a crested hanazono graft last month cause of them buggers at my wifes parents house (i kept it there cause they have a mini greenhouse)......i hate em and would gladly deal with toxic stuff to kill them in their tracks should they show their head at my place. they are bad little buggers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kadasgarden.com
watertrade
Calm and Collected
watertrade

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 9:38 pm

Just wondering if you guys have had any reoccurrence of the
dreaded rot?

My first three grafts have all now got the orange rot. Three Lophophora
diffusa. Very annoying.

I have a load more grafts coming up - I really don't want to see them rot
too.

I have moved two of them into my greenhouse* and will probably move the
third tomorrow.

I have tried both mancozeb and yates anti rot (Potassium phosphite) should I try something
else?

* You might be wondering why I would transfer sick plans
to my greenhouse. Well... I'm hoping to save these
plants - and it’s too cold outside. They are away from the
rest of the cacti as well. - It gets hot in there too... I'll
burn the fungus off!
Back to top Go down
watertrade
Calm and Collected
watertrade

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 9:59 pm

My new theory is to repot the plants and use a lawn fungicide with Thiophanate
Methyl as an active ingredient.

and mancozeb

and Potassium phosphite

if that doesn't work I will trim off all the roots - repot and apply chems again.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 11:10 pm

Hey WT.

I ended up repotting all my grafted plants ! First I took off the pot and discarded all the soil, washed the roots with tap water and trimmed them back a bit. I then repotted them all with a high% mineral based mix. The pereskiopsis is loving the mix which I was surprised about and all my plants have shaken the rot and are growing nicely. I think the trick is to keep the pots as dry as possible whilst cold, keeping in mind peres do need just a little water fairly regulary to survive.

All were sprayed with a solution (water) of Mancozweb, Sulphor and Copper and then allowed to dry out in the sun. I potted them all back up and put them in the grow room, they have been doing just great after this.

I still don't know what causes this type of rot but the above fixed it for me.
Back to top Go down
watertrade
Calm and Collected
watertrade

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 10:00 pm

hey ! thats great HN,

I will give it a go - I have all my pereskiopsis in premium potting mix - thinking peres like it rich and wet...

I will cut some cacti mix with some non organic material. and lots of chemicals - shock and awe style. its good to think they can be saved. I honestly thought there was no real hope.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 07, 2008 7:56 pm

I had mine in a organic high % peat based mix and I think this really contributed to the problem. Now they are basically in my normal Astro mix and they are doing well. I just wanted to save them, but the pereskiopsis proved quite hardy and adaptive to the new mix.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing   Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Orange rot/rust beginning on the skin. WARNING: Some viewers may find distressing
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next