Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Cacti ID required  Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Cacti ID required  Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Cacti ID required  Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Cacti ID required  Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Cacti ID required  Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Cacti ID required  Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Cacti ID required  Empty

Cacti ID required

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2014-03-01

Cacti ID required  Empty
PostSubject: Cacti ID required    Cacti ID required  EmptyFri Mar 07, 2014 7:01 pm

Cacti ID required  Image13

Howdy folks,
Finished work today and came home to a surprise, a new cactus!

Unsure of the type so would really appreciate any info.
Back to top Go down
wert

wert

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2014-02-28

Cacti ID required  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cacti ID required    Cacti ID required  EmptyFri Mar 07, 2014 7:05 pm

picky link broken or somat?
Back to top Go down
wert

wert

Cacti ID required  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cacti ID required    Cacti ID required  EmptyFri Mar 07, 2014 7:08 pm

euphorbia. candlabra tree. its a succulent. dont eat it. lol.

euphorbia ingens.

will have leaves when grown under right conditions.

has milk and caustic acid for blood.lol.

btw. the milky acid blood can do real perminant damage to eyes so be sure not to get it on your hands and rub it in your eyes.

i once pin pricked on of my euphorbias and the milk that came out i dabbed my finger on... then i put my finger on my tounge to see what caustic acid feels and tastes like.

i like hot stuff. like chilis jallepinos ect, euphorbia was like hottest chilli to the power of one hundred thousand. a little to hot for my liking.
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Cacti ID required  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cacti ID required    Cacti ID required  EmptyFri Mar 07, 2014 7:52 pm

Well I can't say my first thoughts were "oh new cactus nom nom nom" but thanks for the heads up!
Would never have guessed it's a succulent, looks cactus'y enough for me.

Thanks for the ID.

The collection grows.....
Back to top Go down
wert

wert

Cacti ID required  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cacti ID required    Cacti ID required  EmptyFri Mar 07, 2014 8:01 pm

funny enough, it was one of the first couple of plants i aquired too. and i really thought it was cacti for some time.lol.

euphorbia are truely amazing. some of them are abosolute eye candy.
some look more like cacti than alot of cacti.
you should check out some... you will be amazed how cactus'y these things can get.
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Cacti ID required  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cacti ID required    Cacti ID required  EmptyFri Mar 07, 2014 8:09 pm

I am a big fan of the obesa and lactea. I'm picking up what I think is an enopla tomorrow.
Guess it's too early in my collecting days to snub succulents, well at least the ones that look like cactus.
Not a fan of guess you could call them regular succulents the shapes and forms just don't appeal to me.
Don't want to get too caught up in the euphorbia's though, seems to be a huge variety of them and I have my sights set on other things.
Started constructing a most wanted cactus list the other day, 3 pages later and I called it a day!
Back to top Go down
wert

wert

Cacti ID required  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cacti ID required    Cacti ID required  EmptyFri Mar 07, 2014 8:42 pm

euphorbia trigona "african milk tree"

sorry mate i think thats what you have. could be either really (trigona/ingens) but initialy i was thinking trigona hence referancing the "milk".

just confused my self i think cause they both called trees.

been a while since i foccused on euphorbia and cacti in general so im really rusty and my recall abiliys for names ect has faded somewhat.
i have to really get stuck in i think because theres allot in there just have to bring it back up to the surface.

you will catch the succulent bug eventually i think.
i for one absolutly adore my echveria agavoides. and my pachyphytum oviferum,morning coffee with these two is really refreshing.
my favorite plant in my entire collection is my anacampseros! its so nice to look at. requires very little care, doesnt grow hagged or out of control... simple but ellegant.
i have a couple of ariocarpus kotchys left in my collection... i still like my anacampseros better. lol

paid sfa for ana. totaled my pocket for ario. simple things lol.
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

Cacti ID required  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cacti ID required    Cacti ID required  EmptyFri Mar 07, 2014 11:16 pm

Some kind of tree Euphorbia but species would be difficult to determine.  Count the ribs, if it's E. trigona then it should have three (I don't think it's that species). If it has four ribs then it could be E. ingens or any of a number of similar large species, which could be distinguished much more easily when it matures or when it shows a good amount of new growth.

Also, put it in sun gradually. It looks like it hasn't had enough sun so it could get sunburn really easily. This probable lack of light also very likely makes it much more difficult to identify.
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Cacti ID required  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cacti ID required    Cacti ID required  EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 7:34 am

Thanks Cereoid,
It has 3 distinct ribs, will have to wait until it grows a bit more for 100% ID but nice to know its a euphorbia.
I had a feeling it might have been out of the sun for a while, I'll do a slow introduction so it doesn't get burnt.
The poor thing is also planted in straight potting mix so once it's a bit more settled I'll be repotting it with a better draining mix.
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

Cacti ID required  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cacti ID required    Cacti ID required  EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 11:12 pm

If it has three ribs then it could be E. trigona. After you put it in the sun and it grows a good amount then have a close look at the faces of the ribs (assuming it keeps growing with three) and check for any markings/patterns because these are common in that species. Also measure the width of the rib faces. E. trigona shouldn't be much wider than ~3-4 cm wide on normal, unthickened growth.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cacti ID required  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cacti ID required    Cacti ID required  Empty

Back to top Go down

Cacti ID required
Page 1 of 1