Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Hello from Perth Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Hello from Perth Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Hello from Perth Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Hello from Perth Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Hello from Perth Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Hello from Perth Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Hello from Perth Empty

Hello from Perth

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bigkev

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-03-11

Hello from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Perth   Hello from Perth EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 12:27 am

Hello and thank you for the welcome. I think I originally posted this in the wrong area, sorry about that.
Anyway, I am thinking of starting up another collection after many years spent raising a family instead of raising cacti seedlings.
Things have changed quite a bit with WA's quarantine laws etc, now making it very difficult if not impossible to bring plants or seeds in from overseas or interstate. Frasers used to be good initially after they bought out Roy McGraths WA Cactus Research nursery. But now unfortunately there is nothing.
In WA there are just about zero nurseries left that stock interesting Cacti and other choice succulent plants. So, is there anywhere apart from Bunnings where members can source plants or seeds in WA? If not, how do you source them from overseas or interstate?
Once I establish a decent collection, I know I would be happy to supply seed to fellow collectors, so is that an option that is available to established members? Are there certain conditions etc to be met?
Many thanks for your patience and apologies for such a long post.

Many thanks,
Kevin
Back to top Go down
supergirl

supergirl

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2012-11-07

Hello from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Perth   Hello from Perth EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 9:45 pm

Hiya bigkev. Hassle with quarantine laws like that. I know I get withdrawal symptoms if I don't get regular additions to my collection and once you've exhausted the common suppliers it can get a bit tricky to satisfy cravings. My suggestion is online trading sites and maybe ebay or somewhere similar. Put out word that you're looking for reasonably priced plants in your area and you might be lucky. Otherwise some of the larger suppliers have online catalogues from which you can place an order through retail stores like Bunnings or local nurseries. There's some good selections available by ordering this way but you would probably have to order a few at a time (like maybe thirty or forty, it varies depending on policy). You could treat yourself to some beauties that way maybe.
Hope you find a good source to continue expanding and indulging in your collection. Catch you soon. Supergirl A
Back to top Go down
midlife crisis

midlife crisis

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-04-05

Hello from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Perth   Hello from Perth EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 6:23 pm

Hey Big Kev

Us West Aussie have to be dedicated to get a decent collection going.
There are a couple of east coast stores that will send to WA with all of the right paper work in place and I hope there will be more in the future as the 20 plant ruling is taken up by more sellers.
Here are two that I know of witch will send to WA with the required paper work
http://cactiandsucculentsrus.webs.com/apps/webstore/

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Collectors-Corner-Victoria/Cacti-/_i.html?_fsub=212818419&_sid=728333259&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

There is also the cactus & succulent society of Western Australia which is always a great source of info and plants. I can get the date of there next meeting for you if you would like.

Other than that you can run the gauntlet which I believe can be done with out to much trouble especially with seeds.

In some ways it is easier to bring seeds in from OS as long as you are not bringing anything illegal or any thing that is classified as a weed .

I have been slowly building my collection for the last four years and most of my plants have come from out side of WA and a lot of my seed has come from OS. Cool

There are other sellers that will send to WA on the quite but I wont post there names here but if you would like to know who they are send me a PM.

Cheers
Midlife
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hello from Perth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from Perth   Hello from Perth Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello from Perth
Page 1 of 1