Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
I heart Astrophytum Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
I heart Astrophytum Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
I heart Astrophytum Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
I heart Astrophytum Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
I heart Astrophytum Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
I heart Astrophytum Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
I heart Astrophytum Empty

I heart Astrophytum

Go down 
+5
hornet
Hellonasty
slim6y
Lachy
trigonus
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 10:13 pm

I'd would have to say the genus Astrophytum is easily my next favourite genus after Ariocarpus. I have only been cultivating them for about a year. They are such a fascinating genus with many different vatieties, forms and cultivars. The Japanese cultivars are truly stunning and am working on getting more of these unusual types into my collection. The Japanese cvs. are not too common here in Aus and over the coming years I intend to collect many of them via seed with the intention of grafting and hopefully getting out there amongst the community.

So far I have several plants from the genus and my favourites are Astrophyum asterias, Astrophyum asterias cv. SUPERKABUTO & Astrophytum capricorne.

In the top pic you can see in the foreground A. asterias, 2 A. asterias cv. SUPERKABUTO, A. myriostigma var. nudum & not so clear is an A. asterias X A. capricorne.

I heart Astrophytum 2435406353_b0002d0a6a

...and an A. capricorne of a decent size that I really like. This intersting species can get quite large given time.
I heart Astrophytum 2435481665_3d14d61239
...and a flowering A. asterias fma. nudum, which doubles as my avatar Wink

I heart Astrophytum 2435478777_7e29db18d5

I will post more pics of my other astros when I get batteries for my camera.
I hope you all enjoy viewing the pics as much as I have enjoyed growing these plants.
Smile
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 11:09 pm

They're definitely very cool little plants... every time I go to collectors' corner I find myself drooling over some of the specimens they have there.
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Re: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 7:38 am

How will I get my hands on some A. capricorne?

They look quite difficult to transplant - would that be a fair assumption?

Is it legal to import seeds of cacti from international suppliers?
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 11:49 am

Generally it's not legal, and if it's CITES listed then you need to pay for the CITES certificate too. Good luck getting them through quarantine and customs though.

I would say they are probably one of the easier Astros to cultivate, but like all Astros they present certain difficulties in cultivation. So transplanting is left until the plant is rootbound basically, this avoids unessecary root zone disturbance.

I can get you some A. capricorne seeds if you like or you can buy them at cactus-seeds.com.

I have only ever seen these plants for sale three times since I have been collecting, I bought two of those and one sold on ebay the other night for a decent price. I didn't buy that one. You just have to hunt around like I do to find cool collectable plants.

To give you a an idea of the size of those plants, the A. asterias is about 7cm wide and the A. capricorne is about 9-10cm wide.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 3:26 pm

Nice plants Trigonus, I really love astros too def my favourite sp. What cv's are you growing from seed ?
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 6:46 pm

Cheers mate. Currently I have A. myriostigma, A. capricorne. A. asterias, A. asterias 'TEXAS' & A. asterias fma. nudum. All pumping along and have a bit of mixed batch too, will have to ID them when they get bigger. Am looking at getting some more interesting Japanese cv seed if I can find a decent supplier for those.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 7:34 pm

Some nice plants there. I really love the look of the "usual" or typical A.Asterias Smile
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 8:39 pm

Yeah, same here, just picked up another one of the same size, so looks like I am going to be self sustaining soon with my A. asterias, very keen to start breeding them.
Back to top Go down
hornet

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum EmptyThu May 01, 2008 5:40 pm

i have got seed from international suppliers in the past with no hassles. I was under the assumption it was legal tho?
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum EmptyThu May 01, 2008 5:51 pm

Not sure what the exact legal status is. I know someone who recently had their seeds consficated by quarantine, they also sent him a nice friendly letter that they had found his seeds and he had his first warning. As far as I know they are lenient to a point then they just say that's it and destroy your seeds.

Bummer! That said it is my opinion the more seed coming in from OS the better, there is no other way the diversity of plants can possibly spread through our country otherwise.

Not sure why they are such fascists with seeds as they contain no soil, and I myself am pretty clued in on whats a weed and whats not a weed and how to control plants if they become weedy. I was in weed control for over 5 years Wink
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum EmptyThu May 01, 2008 6:04 pm

But by that very token look at opuntia and mimosa (not a cacti) - absolute noxious weeds in this area - trig...you'd know it... hornet I'd trust... but there's a multitude of idiots out there!

It's always the way... A few ruin it for the masses.
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum EmptyThu May 01, 2008 6:09 pm

Oh yeah Opuntia vulgaris (I think it was that species) was classed as noxious weed (in the 70s I think) and they hammered it with the Cactoblastis bug eventually. Still a problem in some areas obviously, very hard to get rid of.

You definitely raise a good point, and this is EXACTLY why the laws are in place. It is probably for the best, wish there was a way around it for serious collectors though.

Do you know what weedy species of Mimosa it is you have up your way?
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum EmptyThu May 01, 2008 6:12 pm

M. pigra I think.... It's sensitive plant... but not the big version (pudicia??)

It's everywhere!!!

I can't walk five metres without being stabbed by its little spines! Horrible stuff!
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum EmptyThu May 01, 2008 6:14 pm

Spines are OK, as long as they are growing from a cactus I don't mind Wink
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum EmptyThu May 01, 2008 6:18 pm

trigonus wrote:
Spines are OK, as long as they are growing from a cactus I don't mind Wink

Generally speaking I agree - but when you step on a cactus and relocate it because it's embedded in your foot... I think you can quite easily say a few words that would get me banned from this forum...

The Mimosa - it's horrible stuff... You can't walk barefoot on ya lawns - it's annoying! I have patches of it everywehre... Spraying it does very little - but it is entertaining to touch its leaves and watch them fold up...
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum EmptyThu May 01, 2008 6:35 pm

edit

Last edited by calycium on Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum EmptyThu May 01, 2008 6:40 pm

Or would it work out better if we all pitched in and bought it in bulk from the southern states?

I probably wouldn't mind the odd seed here and there - but wouldn't want to pay the $$$ to get it all imported seperately.
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

PostSubject: Re: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum EmptyThu May 01, 2008 6:50 pm

edit

Last edited by calycium on Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum EmptyThu May 01, 2008 6:54 pm

I am ALWAYS interested Wink
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum EmptyThu May 01, 2008 6:59 pm

I am very interested... PayPal ok?
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

PostSubject: Re: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum EmptyThu May 01, 2008 7:05 pm

edit

Last edited by calycium on Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kada
Calm and Collected
Kada

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum EmptyThu May 01, 2008 10:55 pm

all cacti are cites, teh whole family....but seeds fo App. 2 dont need special paper work....App. 1 does, even seeds. FYI Smile

i think the onyl way is to do it legally...but phytosanitary and CITES papers doesn't mean it will get through Australia customs...those guys, and i say this in the nicest way possible, Nazi's!

seriously though, i have had all but ONE package taken by those guys. no soil or bugs or anything....i even washed the seeds one by one to get rid of any fruit juices/pulp! seeds, cuttings, bare root plants and pollen have all being stolen, i mean quarantined, by the customs there Sad

bulk orders are a good idea, but make sure you get in contact with your officials, dont want to see you buy thousands of seed and them jsut say "sorry!"
Back to top Go down
http://www.kadasgarden.com
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

PostSubject: Re: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum EmptyFri May 02, 2008 10:47 am

I wonder why your pakages always get seized Kada? I know of quite a few people who rarely have an issue with importing seeds. Strange...
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum EmptyThu May 08, 2008 5:52 pm

You do not need anything, an import permit or anything, provided the species being imported is legal. there is no reason why a parcel containing permitted seeds is going to get confiscated unless the parcel contains contaminants (soil, other organic matter, other seeds, etc)
hornet wrote:
i have got seed from international suppliers in the past with no hassles. I was under the assumption it was legal tho?
It is legal. provided the specific species you are trying to import is a permitted species. you can check here:

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_querycontent.asp

simply type in your requested commodity (genus) and check whether your requested species is on the list of 'permitted species'.
eg. a search for 'Astrophytum' returns:
end use: seeds for sowing.

Table 1: List of Permitted Species. These species may be imported subject to the conditions ''C7100'', C7179, C7180, C5012.''

Astrophytum asterias
Astrophytum capricorne
Astrophytum caput-medusae
Astrophytum coahuilense
Astrophytum myriostigma
Astrophytum myriostigma var. strongylogonum
Astrophytum ornatum
Astrophytum senile
Note: Any species not listed in these tables are prohibited entry into Australia.
Condition ''C7100''

Importer’s Responsibilities:
1. An Import Permit is not required.
I have got 90% from my seed from overseas and never ever had any hassles. Wink

any cultivars of the above species are legal but sometimes Aqis may get baffled by eg. "astrophytum asterias cv. 'Syiowa supar' or using cactus language and abbreviations (eg. cv. fma. var.etc) they dont understand. generally though if both genus and species is stated you are right to go, import at your leisure...
Back to top Go down
Huggie

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum EmptyThu May 08, 2008 11:42 pm

Thanks for that Lewis. I was looking to import seeds recently and looked on the AQIS site but got put off by all the legal jargin.

I might start looking again with a bit more confidence this time Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I heart Astrophytum   I heart Astrophytum Empty

Back to top Go down

I heart Astrophytum
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next