Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Crazy thought... Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Crazy thought... Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Crazy thought... Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Crazy thought... Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Crazy thought... Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Crazy thought... Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Crazy thought... Empty

Crazy thought...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kristy4740

Kristy4740

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2012-01-04

Crazy thought... Empty
PostSubject: Crazy thought...   Crazy thought... EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 8:40 pm

Hey all.. Soo.. (Bit excited)Smile Smile we recently moved house and late this afternoon while I was walking our dog through literally wild bush I have came across a very impressive cacti cyclops Shocked - Sitting near no one or anywhere and barly visible as it is hidden with grass, branchs and trees.

Im not sure (As it was dark) However it looked to be about 2 meters tall and about 2.5m wide and had a base of roughly 20-30cm....

I am about to go try and find it again... with a torch.... to get a photo

If not I will have to go hunting this weekend - What I am wondering has anyone ever tried to dig up and relocate a plant of this size and if so, what is the best way I could even start to consider doing this.............

Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Crazy thought... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crazy thought...   Crazy thought... EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 4:46 pm

Hi,

It is probably not the best idea to take the entire plant, even if there is no 'owner' as such. Take a photo and post it up on the forum, once you have an ID you can then think about taking a cutting from the plant. Nearly all cacti can be propagated via cuttings and this would be more ethical and would leave the plant to grow in its natural area.

There is heaps of information on the forum regarding propagation from cuttings, do a search or simply ask the question, our members will help you with this.

HN
Back to top Go down
Rumple Foreskin

Rumple Foreskin

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Crazy thought... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crazy thought...   Crazy thought... EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 8:52 pm

I agree with HN, sometimes a "finders tax" isnt too harsh. Just leave the beauty in what you would like someone else to find Smile
Back to top Go down
Kristy4740

Kristy4740

Crazy thought... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crazy thought...   Crazy thought... EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 7:59 pm

I understand what you guys are saying, but the plant is literally being strangled by vines.... I don't think it is its natural home, I think that more than likly at some stage someone has dumped a cacti or part of the plant there for it to grow... Many years ago. Its in a area which has always been prone to illegal dumping and illegal green waste dumping.

I will take a photo for you tomorrow and put it up, let me know what you think after you see it and where it is.....

I haven't been able to find it again yet as I have been getting home from work when its dark.

Don't get me wrong, it would be easy to take a cutting from and this was my intial thought... But then when I was laying in bed thinking about it all night (Thats sad going to bed thinking about a plant) Smile But anyway, I was thinking, If i leave it, my thinking it could very well end up either being damaged or killed in time by surrounding vines etc anyway. Or ran over by the 4WD'ers that go through the area... Which lead me to think maybe I should try relocating the entire plant?
Back to top Go down
Kristy4740

Kristy4740

Crazy thought... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crazy thought...   Crazy thought... EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 9:38 am

Morning all, so I put on my gumboots this morning and set out to find the plant in the rain. I got some photos, but it was VERY hard to photograph trying to move other plants to get a photo in which you can see it or parts of it.

Here it is...
[url=Crazy thought... IMG_3823][IMG]
[url=Crazy thought... IMG_3824

Sorry about the size of the photos, and the lack of being able to see a whole lot of the plant it was very hard to see it in a photo.[
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-12-15

Crazy thought... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crazy thought...   Crazy thought... EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 4:54 pm

C. peruvians. Just take a cutting, let it callus over and then root it. Once rooted all you have to do is stand back and watch a monster grow faster than what you thought possible. Mine started as a rooted 20cm cutting when I planted it out in in January last year and is now pushing the 1 meter mark. During the growing season it was putting on 10cm a month and with you beeing further north I'd expect you have a longer growing season than what Sydney has.
Back to top Go down
pricklypear

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-11-22

Crazy thought... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crazy thought...   Crazy thought... EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 2:09 pm

SnowFella wrote:
C. peruvians.
For those interested there are pics and articles about this species here.
http://www.cssaustralia.org.au/uploads/Spinette_June_2010.pdf
Back to top Go down
Rumple Foreskin

Rumple Foreskin

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Crazy thought... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crazy thought...   Crazy thought... EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 4:00 pm

I got a crap load of C. Peru if anyone wants some free cuts... ? Only ask postage Smile Plenty of tips too
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-12-15

Crazy thought... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crazy thought...   Crazy thought... EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 5:07 pm

Those suckers are hard to kill too, house in the neighbourhood had 2 massive ones growing in the front yard. Last winter they took a chainsaw to one of them and chopped down all the stems, leaving only the stump still in the ground. Guess what's regrown with more new stems than ever before Laughing

Here's a growth comparison.

Mine in May 2011 after just having been dug up and replanted in a new spot.
Crazy thought... Dsc00211va

December 2011
Crazy thought... Dsc00303k

5 minutes ago
Crazy thought... DSC00113
Back to top Go down
Kristy4740

Kristy4740

Crazy thought... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crazy thought...   Crazy thought... EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 5:51 pm

Nice looking Cacti Garden, I had every intention today of going and taking cuttings however it is a fair walk and I read the morning paper and see succulents for sale from $2.50 So I called and then drove an house to go look.

Thank you for the offer Rumper - Very generous however I will take some cuttings from the bush..

It was a collector who is trying to cut back his collection. I will put up a photo/s... Hopefully you will be able to see a majority of what I got...... For all the below in the photo's cost $150. I spent today trying to repot these, most of them are heavily root bound to the point they are pupping out of the bottom of pots. I didnt really want to say anything to the guy I bought them from as he had 1000's more in the same way. But I think I am going to go back and get some more...

I think it was a nice bargain - 40 pots in total - Definatly cheaper than bunnings!

Crazy thought... IMG_3834

Crazy thought... IMG_3833

Crazy thought... IMG_3832

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Crazy thought... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crazy thought...   Crazy thought... Empty

Back to top Go down

Crazy thought...
Page 1 of 1