Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Just a thought...  Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Just a thought...  Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Just a thought...  Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Just a thought...  Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Just a thought...  Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Just a thought...  Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Just a thought...  Empty

Just a thought...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2014-03-01

Just a thought...  Empty
PostSubject: Just a thought...    Just a thought...  EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 7:19 am

Greeting folks!
So I have a bit of an idea and would like to run it by you all and see what your thoughts are.
I was reading through the cacti cube post with great interest and would love to re create something similar however I am not very skilled with wood work or construction so I had an idea!

My thought was to buy an old wardrobe and gut it, replacing the wood panels with plastic film, install a light and a few vents and also replacing or modify the shelves to allow for light to reach the lower parts.
The only concern I really have is the possible fire hazard, wondering what your thoughts are.....
Back to top Go down
rickyscactus

rickyscactus

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2013-08-22

Just a thought...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just a thought...    Just a thought...  EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:09 pm

Hey Walker,

Thats a good idea!

I have some similar melamine boxes that I have made up for this sort of thing, with lights and heat mats.

I would try and find some reflective film for the inside, it acts just like a mirror reflecting light around the box, if not aluminium foil could be used.

As for the fire hazard, I would use fluoros not high heat lamps in a confined space as a wardrobe.
The hottest temp I have got out of my boxes is approx 35 degrees around this time and maybe around 45 degrees or more in summer.

Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

Just a thought...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just a thought...    Just a thought...  EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 7:53 pm

I use a big fluro grow lamp for my seedlings and plants. Works great and saves a tonne on electricity.

If you decide to go with HPS or metal hallide, use a heat tube. Its a special encased ballast with a fan that extracts the heat out through ducting. Not much more expensive then normal ballasts and saves a lot of headaches when it comes to ventilation.

Its best to use white paint or white pvc sheeting as highly reflective surfaces like aluminium foil can actually focus the light like a magnifying glass and leave burn spots on your plants.
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Just a thought...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just a thought...    Just a thought...  EmptyMon Jun 16, 2014 8:36 am

Thanks for the feedback guys,
Think I will go with white paint once I start putting it together. I guess the wood will eventually rot from the moisture but it should be ok for a while at least long enough to see how it goes and if successful I can always look at constructing something a little more permanent.
My thought is with the upper levels I can have pere cuttings, next level down grafts and the lower levels for seedlings. Think this way it will make use of the varying light levels.
Most likely will start putting this together in the next few weeks, I have so many seedling trays that need a permanent spot at present they are dotted through out the lounge room and the other halfs patientce is wearing thin with having baby cacti taking over the lounge room!
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

Just a thought...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just a thought...    Just a thought...  EmptyMon Jun 16, 2014 6:29 pm

If you use a good weathershield paint with a nice thick layer it shouldn't rot for a very long time. Just put some plastic tubs under your pots so you don't get any puddles sitting.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Just a thought...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just a thought...    Just a thought...  EmptyMon Jun 16, 2014 8:08 pm

Those metal shelving units from bunnings work a treat, that's what I use.
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Just a thought...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just a thought...    Just a thought...  EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 10:03 am

That's a great idea with the trays sneaky, guess that will help with humidity too.

HN- have you covered the unit?
I was hoping to build a humid and warm enclosure for pere cuttings and seedling trays.
I've seen a lot of examples of people growing peres cuttings in bright and humid conditions which seems to make for softer growth and from what I have read less glochids which is preferable! Got stung a bunch of times just planting the cuttings in a pot, hate to know how many I am going to end with once I start grafting.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Just a thought...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just a thought...    Just a thought...  EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 12:20 pm

No mine is not covered with anything to avoid any bacterial issues.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Just a thought...  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just a thought...    Just a thought...  Empty

Back to top Go down

Just a thought...
Page 1 of 1