Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. Empty

Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.

Go down 
+7
KanJe
Vicki
Brettix
cryptocarpa
trigonus
lewis
Hellonasty
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 1:52 pm

I grafted this astro in late January. It just sat dormant for a while but has now sprung in to action. Instead of the usual solitary head, it is puping like mad and growing very small heads.
The plant is a CV Onzuka. Never had this happen before. Anyone else ?

Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. 3347509503_ffeb6e2ac4

Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. 3348345772_db547ec262
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 5:58 pm

Intriguing!
are you sure the original growth point was not damaged?
If not and it continues to make heaps of tiny heads in this fashion then it might qualify as a monstrose, but it could well just be the effect of the stock..?
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 8:09 pm

It has definetly not been damaged as it was in a sealed seedling container. Also it was showing this exact growth before it was grafted Smile
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 9:29 am

Looks interesting HN. Keep us updated.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 2:14 pm

This type of growth isn't too uncommon in my experience. On pereskiopsis one in five ariocarpus grafts do this after a while. This can be a nuisance when your'e aiming to produce mature plants because many small heads will take a lot longer to flower. When astro's do this they tend to favour one head after a while.
It seems that this type of growth happens more often if the seedling is very young when grafted or if part of what would have developed into the seedling's tap root is left on the scion . I have also noticed that plants like this have a large burl like mass of of the stock growing into the scion.
I have read of chimera that have different genetics in different parts of the plants. An example is the red apples that we are familiar with. Apparently the DNA of the skin is mutated and diffent from the DNA of the fruits interior. If you tissue culture cells from inside a red apple the plants that are eventually produced will grow green apples that do not carry the mutation in the outer layer of epidermal cells. Other examples are the thornless types of berries which if propagated from root cuttings produce thorny types that dont have the chimeric mutation in the outer layers of cells. Note; not all chimera eventuate from grafts. Any plant that grows with mutated DNA in different parts of the plant (red apples) or a mixture of mutated and normal DNA can be termed a chimera(even if the mutated DNA originates from the same plant and not a stock) Strictly speaking a chimera is a plant with more that one type of DNA and not neccessarily from different species.
So if I explained that and it makes sense then I want to propose a theory on the cause of these offsetting mutations..... When a graft union forms callus tissue(full of meristemic cells able to form any part of a plant, akin to stem cells in animals) forms and grows through the layer of dead cells caused by cutting stock and scion. These callus cells then diferentiate into vascular tissues that enable the stock and scion to grow together vai the transfer of nutrients etc. It is usually from this callus in the graft union area that graft chimera originate. It seems to me that in the case of offsetting mutants the callus cells have gone a bit mad forming a knotted growth, like a burl on a tree, inside the body of the scion. While the outer layers of the scion still have DNA typical of the scion the inner mass is a mixture of stock and scion that has become unstable. When this inner mass grows vascular tissue in the vacinity of an areole on the scion a shoot is produced from the areole. Some times just a few areoles and usually lower on the body of the plant do this as with Astrophytums( this is usually when cells from the stock have only grown a little way into the scion. Sometimes the scion spontaneously looses its growing point and produces a bunch of offsets once like seems to be the case with the plant in the picture. Other times practically every aroele offsets and then the areoles on the offsets offset ad infinitum. That is when you get things like arios that are a mass of small offsets. In effect an internal chimera. Sometimes on arios the mass offsetting starts on a small area low on the plant and if not removed it takesover. I have some plants around 10cm that have dozens of heads maximum a cm or so wide. Will try to post a pic if I can work out how.
Still awake?
Anyone done any tissue culture? Sampling and reproducing from cells at different locations within an offsetting mutant would provide a clearer understanding of what is going on and perhaps some interesting chimera.
Actually having another look at the pic it looks like it may be a naturally multi headed seedling and perhaps not the result of the graft but I will post all this that I have typed any how.
P.S. Hello all, this is a first post from me. Sorry for going on a bit, it is a topic that fascinates me.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 4:51 pm

Hey cryptocarpa. Welcome.

As I said in my second post the seedling was showing this growth before it was grafted, hence why it was grafted. I have grafted many astro seedlings and have never seen this type of growth before. I understand a grafted scion, in particular to pereskiopsis, will pup frequently but this looks much different to me.

Please post some pictures of your grafts I would love to see them. You can post images by signing up for free to Flickr or Webshots and linking the photografts to the forum.

Here is a quick tutorial
http://forum.auscactiforum.net/site-feedback-f36/pics-from-flickr-t109.htm
Back to top Go down
Brettix

Brettix

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 8:06 pm

Wow very interesting,well done.

Yeah keep us posted on the growth .
Cheers
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 10:00 pm

wow! way to go on the info cryptocarpa, most enlightening.
Welcome to the forum! Smile
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Calm and Collected
Vicki

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 7:59 am

Thanks for the info crypt, very fascinating and welcome to the cacti forum.

HN - will be interesting to see what develops.
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

PostSubject: Grafted Astrophytum....crazy pupping   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 10:32 am

HN. Thanks for info on posting pics. Yes the plant looks like a natural multi header it happens rarely with the cultivars.
try to post first pic. Will do more if it works and the sun comes out. Nice to see some rain here though alsmost forgot it happens sometimes it has been too long...

Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. 3355072894_9cce096f05

Edited by Hellonasty: To fix picture link.
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

PostSubject: Re: Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 10:34 am

Well picture worked comment didn't. The photo is of A. fissuratus var.lloydii at about 12 cm diameter.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 11:23 am

cryptocarpa,

I edited your post to fix the picture Smile Hope you don't mind.

Great plant. I have a few questions: How old is it ? how long has it been grafted ? Is this the first graft stock ?
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

PostSubject: Re: Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 12:08 pm

It is four or five years old(tag has faded so a bit unsure) It has been on pereskiopsis all that time. Last year or so has grown very little and needs a regraft. Here is another one same story. A.bravoanus. This one shows the pupping around the base mutation. Interestingly if you cut off this stuff the top head will often die. Must be the vascular system goes through this on its way to the original head.
DSCN4209[1]
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 8:05 pm

^^Link broken, picture does not work. Check your PM's cryptocarpa I have sent you some info on fixing it.

HN
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 10:19 am

Welcome to the forum cryptocarpa.
I really liked your post earlier, I found it really interesting.
I look forward to see some of your collection.

Does anyone know if this grafting scenario that was just mentioned occurs with certain stock more than others>?
Back to top Go down
https://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/KanJe_Garden/
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: An update on this one.   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 9:22 am

Thought I would post an update on this graft. As you can see it is continuing to grow in the same fashion as the original pictures. I still don't know what to make of it.......I do know I like it Smile

Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. 4035169213_bf570414b6_o

Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. 4035162501_26cacf6584_b

Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. 4035162311_9d0878d5f8_b
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 9:57 am

That's fascinating growth... the black spines against the white flecking make for a very attractive contrast.
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 5:36 pm

looks great!!
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 2:57 pm

Thanks, I am hoping it will produce another set of pups this year....that would be nice. Also it has one head with five ribs and the rest have 4, kinda strange.
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Calm and Collected
Vicki

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 9:42 am

the different ribbing is weird, but its a cool plant anyway
Back to top Go down
Hanazono
Astromaniac
Hanazono

Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 3:51 pm

You can see similar plants in grafted Astrophytum. I have similar ones, myriostigma v nudum and asterias.
Normal pups will come out from areoles but your plant seems not.
I have never seen similar one on own-rooted Astrophytum.

I think the seedling on the photo of 12th March is shown quite strong Onzuka character but the character becomes weak on current plant.
Back to top Go down
http://frank-southofaridland.blogspot.com/
watertrade
Calm and Collected
watertrade

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 4:38 pm

I have a few A myriostogma (cv somethings) doing the same thing - they are grafted onto Trichocereus - quite an impressive way of mass propagation.

I have just done a A myriostigma kikko nudum which i hope will do the same. Smile
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 11:05 am

Hanazono and WT please post a pic of your plants, I would love to see them.

Yes I agree with you Hanazono the pups are not coming from areoles. Have a look at the second last picture it looks like the first two cotyledons formed a growing tip each, and then the right side has split growing more heads.

Check this link out from over at Astromania, now thats a cool and weird pant.

http://www.panarottocactus.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=664&highlight=

I really like this one too,

NOT MY PLANT or PHOTO, many thanks to the original uploader

Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. 3865443606_335bc858ff_o
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 1:33 pm

FWIW I have a feeling that the plant directly above is not a natural multiheader but rather what was originally a normal solitary A.myriostigma which, for whatever reason (be it insect damage, accident, deliberate drilling etc.) had the original growth point damaged by mechanical means which resulted in the cessation of apical dominance and subsequently the initiation of prolific new growth points from the lateral areoles. Some growers deliberately damage the growth point of solitary rare plants to induce mad pupping for propagational purposes.
This technique (i.e. drilling of growth point) is also used by commercial growers to produce the multiheaded E.grusonii so clumps popular in the trade.
Back to top Go down
Hanazono
Astromaniac
Hanazono

Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 2:52 pm

Hellonasty
myriostigma v nudum cv khoyo
I took this photo in 2003. I degrafted and separated this plant and each heads has been grown own roots.
Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. 2336683770044113659S500x500Q85
asterias cv megane-hakuten super kabuto
I took this photo in 2006. The stock has been cut as 3 cm length and buried in potting mix.
Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. 2640760010044113659S500x500Q85
Hanazono
Back to top Go down
http://frank-southofaridland.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.   Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping. Empty

Back to top Go down

Grafted Astrophytum....Crazy pupping.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next