Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Empty

Christchurch Botanical Gardens.

Go down 
+2
blowng
CactusPolecat
6 posters
AuthorMessage
CactusPolecat
Calm and Collected
CactusPolecat

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2008-10-06

PostSubject: Christchurch Botanical Gardens.   Christchurch Botanical Gardens. EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 8:44 am

Hi Friends, unfortunately for me the holiday is now over... finally got my feet back on the ground, and back to reality after my much needed break.
Before we went away I promised some pics of the cacti at Christchurch Botanical gardens if we got to visit there.

The collection is not very large but contains some interesting specimens, and some specimens struggle a bit with the growing conditions.
The smaller plants were contained in a raised bed behind a glass barrier and were growing in their individual pots which in most cases were nicely hidden below the surface and among the rocks, some of these were sporting somewhat dubious names, but all in all not a bad display.

We also found a few Agave and Yucca growing in the grounds, I managed to get a few reasonable shots of some of these as well.

Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_055 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_056 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_057 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_058

Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_059 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_061 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_062 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_063

Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_065 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_066 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_069 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_070

Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_060 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_067 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_071 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_072

Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_073 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_074 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_075 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_076

Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_077 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_078 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_079 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_080

Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_081 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_082 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_083 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_084

Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_085 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_086 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_087 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_090

Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_097 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_098 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_100 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_101

Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_102 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_103 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Day1_ChristchurchBotanicalGardens_D Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Day11_ChristchurchBotanicalGarde-1

Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Day11_ChristchurchBotanicalGarde-2 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Day11_ChristchurchBotanicalGarde-3 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Day11_ChristchurchBotanicalGarde-4 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Day11_ChristchurchBotanicalGarde-5

Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Day11_ChristchurchBotanicalGarde-6 Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Day11_ChristchurchBotanicalGardens_

Enjoy, CP
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Christchurch Botanical Gardens.   Christchurch Botanical Gardens. EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 12:25 pm

i like how they used this in the landscape, looks very snake like indeed

Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_071
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Christchurch Botanical Gardens.   Christchurch Botanical Gardens. EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 12:51 pm

blowng wrote:
i like how they used this in the landscape, looks very snake like indeed

Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Th_Cacti_Christchurch2010_071

I did a double take when I saw the thumbnail. I can't make out the label on it... what is it?
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2009-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Christchurch Botanical Gardens.   Christchurch Botanical Gardens. EmptySat Feb 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Thanks for the pics CP, and good to see you back. Anyone know what the one in the first pic is?
Back to top Go down
Emma

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Christchurch Botanical Gardens.   Christchurch Botanical Gardens. EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 8:11 am

Would anyone like me to show the Brisbane Botanical Gardens - Mt Cotha collection? Or have you already seen it? Its not a good time for me (too hot and humid) to do it now, but when it cools down.
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

PostSubject: Re: Christchurch Botanical Gardens.   Christchurch Botanical Gardens. EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 11:48 am

I think everyone here likes cacti photos, I'd love to see them Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Calm and Collected
Vicki

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Christchurch Botanical Gardens.   Christchurch Botanical Gardens. EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 8:56 am

Thanks for sharing CP, love the 'snake'.

Emma pics would be gr8, we all like to see diff places and plants.
Back to top Go down
Emma

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Christchurch Botanical Gardens.   Christchurch Botanical Gardens. EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 1:46 pm

Oh its so good to be amongst people who know how to appreciate the mighty cactus!
Back to top Go down
CactusPolecat
Calm and Collected
CactusPolecat

PostSubject: Re: Christchurch Botanical Gardens.   Christchurch Botanical Gardens. EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 8:25 am

Thanks friends, glad you enjoyed these.

Lachy, the name tag on the "snake" is Echinopsis thelegona.

Olga, when I fisrt saw the plant in the first pic, I didn't know what I was looking at, it loos like pachycereus marginatus, but the stem is much thicker than and specimen I've seen growing in a g/h collection... it could be a piece removed from an older plant and struck in situ or something I suppose... the plant was about 200mm(?) in dia, (just a guess since I couldn't get very close to it.

CP
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

PostSubject: Re: Christchurch Botanical Gardens.   Christchurch Botanical Gardens. EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 11:35 pm

Thanks CP, I haven't really seen anything like that. I'll have to look into them
Back to top Go down
CactusPolecat
Calm and Collected
CactusPolecat

PostSubject: Re: Christchurch Botanical Gardens.   Christchurch Botanical Gardens. EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 8:00 pm

Olga, I've been informed by an expert on another forum, that the plan in the first pic is most likely an arm from a mature specimen of Pachycereus pringlei... the apparently lose their spiny-ness when they mature! (That's something I didn't know).
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

PostSubject: Re: Christchurch Botanical Gardens.   Christchurch Botanical Gardens. EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 10:20 pm

Ah, they do amazing things don't they? I was wondering what one of my plants that I hadn't seen in a couple of years was, until I was reading online and discovered some barrel cactus become columnar with age, and realised it was my old echinopsis Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
CactusPolecat
Calm and Collected
CactusPolecat

PostSubject: Re: Christchurch Botanical Gardens.   Christchurch Botanical Gardens. EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 5:11 pm

Olga wrote:
Ah, they do amazing things don't they? I was wondering what one of my plants that I hadn't seen in a couple of years was, until I was reading online and discovered some barrel cactus become columnar with age, and realised it was my old echinopsis Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Icon_biggrin

Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Christchurch Botanical Gardens.   Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Empty

Back to top Go down

Christchurch Botanical Gardens.
Page 1 of 1