Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Williamsii var Huizache Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Williamsii var Huizache Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Williamsii var Huizache Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Williamsii var Huizache Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Williamsii var Huizache Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Williamsii var Huizache Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Williamsii var Huizache Empty

Williamsii var Huizache

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sowerofseed

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-05-19

PostSubject: Williamsii var Huizache   Williamsii var Huizache EmptyTue May 19, 2009 12:32 pm

Just thought id post a few pics of one of my Loph's starting to germinate, and a good opportunity to ask some questions from the more experienced growers.

Williamsii var Huizache 01_ger10

Williamsii var Huizache 01_ger11

I have others in the growbox container which still havent sprouted out just yet, am hoping they will show up within the next couple of weeks. When is it best to start transplanting, and is it safe to not feed them with liquid fertilizer until after I transplant them?

Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Williamsii var Huizache   Williamsii var Huizache EmptyTue May 19, 2009 6:40 pm

Mate hope its not too wet in there, wish you luck its a pretty easy thing though , im new to it to but i feel like a pro now after a couple attempts. This site is very helpful .Search for topics from previous posts,pretty much all topics have been covered.You wont need to transplant for at least a year or two. Check out seedling grafting to pereskiopsis which may sway your intentions. Kada's got the post most helpful. Welcome ,good luck!
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Williamsii var Huizache   Williamsii var Huizache EmptyWed May 20, 2009 6:26 pm

Hey there Sowerofseed and Welcome !

As blowng said you can keep them in the original containers for 2-3 years. The seedlings will not last that long in the punnett type tray your using. The holes are usually too big and the soil slowly drains out over time and many waterings. Also there is only a small smount of soil in each so nutrients will get low pretty quick. Whilst they are actively growing I fert my seedlings with a 1/4 strengh solution.

Give them 6months max and transplant Smile Good luck with them.
Back to top Go down
Sowerofseed

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Williamsii var Huizache   Williamsii var Huizache EmptyWed May 20, 2009 6:35 pm

Hey guys thanks for the advice!

As for the trays, im not watering them as they are sitting on a tray half filled with water and have a hood over them, so the soil is constantly being soaked, I havent had to water them in over two weeks.

I will have to keep an eye out on the date as 6months sounds like a good time to transplant.. As curiosity though is it possible to feed them liquid fertilizer and keep them in the tray for over a year?

Cheers guys!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Williamsii var Huizache   Williamsii var Huizache Empty

Back to top Go down

Williamsii var Huizache
Page 1 of 1