Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Garden cacti. Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Garden cacti. Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Garden cacti. Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Garden cacti. Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Garden cacti. Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Garden cacti. Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Garden cacti. Empty

Garden cacti.

Go down 
+4
MichaelCactus
Squil
Kada
CactusPolecat
8 posters
AuthorMessage
CactusPolecat
Calm and Collected
CactusPolecat

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Garden cacti. Empty
PostSubject: Garden cacti.   Garden cacti. EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 8:08 pm

I promised someone recently that I'd post pics of all the cacti growing in my garden...
So here they are, all except my Tricho schickendantzii's that enjoyed their own recent posting.

Garden cacti. Th_Mammillaria_hahniana_Garden_1108c Garden cacti. Th_Mammillaria_hahniana_Garden_1108b Garden cacti. Th_Mammillaria_hahniana_Garden_1108a Garden cacti. Th_Mammillaria_haageana_Garden_1108a
Garden cacti. Th_Mammillaria_polythele_Garden_1108a Garden cacti. Th_Mammillaria_pringlei_Garden_1108a Garden cacti. Th_Mammillaria_pringlei_Garden_1108b Garden cacti. Th_Mammillaria_melanocentra_Garden_110
Garden cacti. Th_Mammillaria_marksiana_Garden_1108a Garden cacti. Th_Mammillaria_geminispina_Garden_1108 Garden cacti. Th_Mammillaria_camptotricha_Garden_110 Garden cacti. Th_Mammillaria_elongata_Garden_1108

Garden cacti. Th_Cleistocactus_sepium_Garden_1108a Garden cacti. Th_Echinopsis_sp_Garden_1108b Garden cacti. Th_Echinopsis_sp_Garden_1108c Garden cacti. Th_Echinopsis_sp_Garden_1108d
Garden cacti. Th_Mammillaria_haageana_Garden_1108a Garden cacti. Th_Mammillaria_melanocentra_Garden_110 Garden cacti. Th_Oreocereus_celsianus_Garden_1108a
Garden cacti. Th_Oreocereus_celsianus_Garden_1108b Garden cacti. Th_Echinopsis_camarguensis_Garden_1108 Garden cacti. Th_Echinopsis_ferox_v_orurensis_Garden Garden cacti. Th_Echinopsis_oxygona_Garden_1108
Garden cacti. Th_Weberbauerocereus_johnsonii_Garden_ Garden cacti. Th_Notocactus_leninghausii_Garden_1108 Garden cacti. Th_Echinopsis_sp_Garden_1108a Garden cacti. Th_Echinopsis_cvStarsandStripes_Garden
Garden cacti. Th_Echinopsis_chamaecereus_Garden_1-2 Garden cacti. Th_Echinopsis_chamaecereus_Garden_1-1 Garden cacti. Th_Echinopsis_huascha_Garden_1108c Garden cacti. Th_Echinopsis_huascha_Garden_1108b
Garden cacti. Th_Echinopsis_spachiana_Garden_1108a Garden cacti. Th_lobivia_grandis_Garden_1108 Garden cacti. Th_Echinopsis_formosa_Garden_1108b Garden cacti. Th_Echinopsis_formosa_Garden_1108a
Garden cacti. Th_Unknown_cactus_Garden_1108 Garden cacti. Th_Maihueniopsis_ovata_Garden_1108a Garden cacti. Th_Echinopsis_huascha_Garden_1108
Garden cacti. Th_Tephrocactus_haematacantha_Garden_1 Garden cacti. Th_Teph_articulatus_v_papyracanthus_Ga Garden cacti. Th_Tephrocactus_alexanderi_Garden_1108

Hope you like these - they are all plants that have survived their first Tassie winter... in the next couple of days I will be planting out a Mamm. magnimamma, Noto. uebelmannianus and Echinopsis "Haku Jo".

Cheers, CP.
Back to top Go down
Kada
Calm and Collected
Kada

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-04-05

Garden cacti. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garden cacti.   Garden cacti. EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 7:13 am

no rot, no bugs, no scars.....whats your secret?!?!?!?!

those look *amazing*...i got african land snails crawling all over mine in teh garden Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.kadasgarden.com
CactusPolecat
Calm and Collected
CactusPolecat

Garden cacti. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garden cacti.   Garden cacti. EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 7:43 am

The only one I lost this year was a Stenocereus pruinosus... I sort of expected it not to last long, (and it didn't... don't know if you don't try though). I had planted a couple of small Echinopsis "Jolly Blossom" offsets, and one of them got a bit of rot which surprised me... but it has survived okay. The only other problem was the two Echinopsis multiplex I planted split but they're doing okay too now, they would have to be among the hardiest of the cacti.. usually can't kill 'em with a stick! Smile

This rockery began in January this year with a pile of rocks and gravel, for a base material I used river/concreting gravel, lots of old potting mix I'd kept for the occasion and lots of old cow manure etc to build it up.

Here are some pics of the garden in progress...
Garden cacti. Th_New_Succ_Garden_Jan08e Garden cacti. Th_New_Succ_Garden_Jan08a Garden cacti. Th_New_Succ_Garden_Jan08b
Becacuse of the slope of my yard, the back corner has a depth of about 30-40cm
Garden cacti. Th_New_Succ_Garden_Jan08c Garden cacti. Th_New_Succ_Garden_Jan08d
With the initial placing of rocks, ...even after the initial planting some of these got move or re-moved.
this is before/after the initial planting of some cacti... much more to go in yet!
Garden cacti. Th_New_Succ_Garden_Jan08f Garden cacti. Th_New_Succ_Garden_Jan08g
Here 'tis in September at the beginning of spring...
Garden cacti. Th_Full_view_0908

CP
Back to top Go down
CactusPolecat
Calm and Collected
CactusPolecat

Garden cacti. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garden cacti.   Garden cacti. EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 8:01 am

Oh, It just struck me that there are two Opuntias that are missing from the photo shoot, Rolling Eyes one is O. aciculata and the other has been id'd as a microdasys hybrid ...microdasys cv. "Caress" (without the little glochids)...
Garden cacti. Th_Opaciculata_0308 Garden cacti. Th_Opuntia_microdasys_caress_0108c Garden cacti. Th_Opuntia_microdasys_caress_0108b

CP
Back to top Go down
Squil

Squil

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-05-28

Garden cacti. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garden cacti.   Garden cacti. EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 11:25 am

Wow. That's a diverse collection, I just kept scrolling and it just kept going.

And the rockery is amazing. Would have taken quite some hours to plant that out no doubt.

Great result.
Back to top Go down
CactusPolecat
Calm and Collected
CactusPolecat

Garden cacti. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garden cacti.   Garden cacti. EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 7:16 pm

Thanks Squil, yeah it took a bit of time to make it all happen, but it was very much a labour of love.

CP
Back to top Go down
MichaelCactus
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Garden cacti. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garden cacti.   Garden cacti. EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 8:28 pm

Awsome CP, if only myne was as good as yours Smile
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Garden cacti. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garden cacti.   Garden cacti. EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 8:34 pm

yes, very impressive. im honestly surprised how well stuff does outside in tassie Smile
Back to top Go down
Micromegas

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-29

Garden cacti. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garden cacti.   Garden cacti. EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 9:07 pm

Wow that's sweet. Good job. Very colourful.
Back to top Go down
Kada
Calm and Collected
Kada

Garden cacti. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garden cacti.   Garden cacti. EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 1:57 am

great seen the process as well!!!!

it's funny, Stenocereus pruinosus are one of the few cacti i can grown in ground here that survives the floods/rains well!
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Calm and Collected
Vicki

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Garden cacti. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garden cacti.   Garden cacti. EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 6:11 am

Awesome CP. Do you have frosts where you live? If you do is your garden protected from them in winter? I would like to do a garden like that but I reckon the frost would kill quite a few cacti here.
Back to top Go down
CactusPolecat
Calm and Collected
CactusPolecat

Garden cacti. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garden cacti.   Garden cacti. EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 8:08 am

Thanks folk. I'm glad you like my garden... You'll be seeing a lot more of it in the future! Very Happy

Vicki wrote:
Awesome CP. Do you have frosts where you live? If you do is your garden protected from them in winter? I would like to do a garden like that but I reckon the frost would kill quite a few cacti here.

Hi Vicki, yes we get frosts here, though this winter was a bit warmer than is usual, so not as many frost this year. My garden is totall open to the elements... once a plant is put in there it's do or die! some of what I've planted there, are really experimental to test the plants survival in our climate... basically I want to know what will survive here.

Check out this Plant hardiness zone map. which based on average annual minimum temps throughout Australia, gives you an idea of how your area compares with others for plant hardiness, and also compares with the USDA zones.
Where I live is central north coast of Tas, which is zone 10 (minimum average temp of around -1 to -2.

CP

Last edited by CactusPolecat on Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Garden cacti. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garden cacti.   Garden cacti. EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 1:59 pm

Really nice CPC. I hope to get something like that started one day. A credit to you.
Back to top Go down
CactusPolecat
Calm and Collected
CactusPolecat

Garden cacti. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garden cacti.   Garden cacti. EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 8:56 am

Hellonasty wrote:
Really nice CPC. I hope to get something like that started one day. A credit to you.

Thanks Hellonasty, I've lived here in my current home now for about 18 years... and I've only just got round to it Shocked

...You can't rush these things you know, it takes careful planning and a lot of thought. Laughing Laughing

CP

Last edited by CactusPolecat on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kada
Calm and Collected
Kada

Garden cacti. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garden cacti.   Garden cacti. EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 9:20 pm

and a LOTof heavy lifting.....i think i would've waited 18 years too if i saw all that work ahead of me Shocked

its paid off though!
Back to top Go down
CactusPolecat
Calm and Collected
CactusPolecat

Garden cacti. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garden cacti.   Garden cacti. EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 8:17 am

Kada wrote:
and a LOTof heavy lifting.....i think i would've waited 18 years too if i saw all that work ahead of me Shocked

its paid off though!

Very Happy

...well that's my excuse and I'm stickin' to it!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

...actually Kadathere is some heavy lifting involved, but these days it's more like a lot of heavy "sliding" (amid lots of grunts and groans).

CP
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Calm and Collected
Vicki

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Garden cacti. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Garden cacti.   Garden cacti. EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 4:58 pm

Thanks for the info CP.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content