Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Awesome cacti garden Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Awesome cacti garden Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Awesome cacti garden Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Awesome cacti garden Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Awesome cacti garden Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Awesome cacti garden Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Awesome cacti garden Empty

Awesome cacti garden

Go down 
+6
Gracie
WoodDragon
slim6y
lewis
MichaelCactus
CactiHunter
10 posters
AuthorMessage
CactiHunter

CactiHunter

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Awesome cacti garden   Awesome cacti garden EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 8:20 pm

Check out this for a front yard. Some real beauties there.

Awesome cacti garden 2607363470_4e8b00e70c_b (alt+p)

Awesome cacti garden 2607362344_f6a8baeb96_b (alt+p)
Back to top Go down
MichaelCactus
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Awesome cacti garden   Awesome cacti garden EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 6:58 pm

How do i go about owning a garden like that???
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Awesome cacti garden   Awesome cacti garden EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 7:07 pm

WOW! Shocked where is this?
i am so going to go nuts there with a cutting knife!
Back to top Go down
MichaelCactus
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Awesome cacti garden   Awesome cacti garden EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 7:10 pm

Call dibs, whole garden Razz
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Awesome cacti garden   Awesome cacti garden EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 10:27 pm

As much as I love cactus... This garden does nearly nothing for me... to me it just looks 'wrong'...

Sorry, personal opinion only...

Tho Lewis, when you get there with your knife can you cut me some of the cool ones too Razz
Back to top Go down
CactiHunter

CactiHunter

PostSubject: Re: Awesome cacti garden   Awesome cacti garden EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 11:06 am

My photos don't do the place justice. It looks fantastic in real life. I still haven't met the owners who are never home. No way would I snake any cuts, I'd rather trade with them. They have a heap of unusual varietys of my favourite Genera so I'd rather become friends. I'll definitely be hitting them up or pollen! Very Happy

No way am I gonna give up the location either. I'll get closer pics once I've met the folks.
Back to top Go down
WoodDragon

WoodDragon

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Awesome cacti garden   Awesome cacti garden EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 12:42 pm

I envy you your proximity to a garden this full of spikies, CH! I love some of the specimens in the garden, but I take slim6y's point too - it's probably not how I would imagine putting a garden together.

This might be an interesting thread itself, especially as I have been thinking a lot lately about how I'll do this when my baby trichs grow a bit.

So, if anyone's up for starting a thread, what makes a 'good' cactus garden?
Back to top Go down
CactiHunter

CactiHunter

PostSubject: Re: Awesome cacti garden   Awesome cacti garden EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 1:58 pm

Good idea! I like the use of rocks, gravel and succulents here, maybe a little crowded but the specimens are very nice. The first thing you want for a top cacti garden is about 100 acres and a mountain range in the distance, Picture perfect!
Back to top Go down
MichaelCactus
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Awesome cacti garden   Awesome cacti garden EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 3:58 pm

Yeh i understand thats not what you would see your garden like, but its great none the less. Thats probly how myne will turn out.
Back to top Go down
WoodDragon

WoodDragon

PostSubject: Re: Awesome cacti garden   Awesome cacti garden EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 10:32 pm

I think that for me it'd be important to not have too much visual activity in a small space - in that way I guess it's be a bit zen.

This is not to say that I only want a couple of cactus in a garden; rather, I think I'd like a nice crowd of just a few visual forms... maybe my bigger trichs at the back, the smaller huascas and simliar more toward the front, and a few globulars at the edge.

Rocks - yeah! Negative space too, and a 'sense' to the way colour changes across the garden.

It's a bit harder for me to plan as I'm in Southern Tas, so I can't put all of my babies out in the open even when they're bigger. And because it's not exactly arid in my part of the world (if you ignore the drought!), I want to construct it so that it can be visualised as a unit separate from the surrounding Euro scenery... Screens? A mudbrick wall? Boulders even, if I even escape the poverty of studenthood?

And then there's the question of how I'd 'landscape' the conservatory that I dream of, with spikies as well as the epiphytics, some orchids, and a few carnivorous plants to boot.

So many possibilities, so little time and fundage!
Back to top Go down
WoodDragon

WoodDragon

PostSubject: Re: Awesome cacti garden   Awesome cacti garden EmptyFri Jun 27, 2008 1:14 am

Being the obsessive bugger that I am I'll probably knock up a a regular hothouse for the cactus that don't like too much humidity, although this'll most likely just be a regulary shelf-city arrangement so that I can squeeze the spikies in - aethetics are secondary here!

In the meantime, the window sills and side tables are filling up...

(And speaking of stuffed greenhouses, this thread bounced back up at SAB. A few beauties here!)
Back to top Go down
Gracie
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2008-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Awesome cacti garden   Awesome cacti garden EmptyFri Jun 27, 2008 8:53 pm

great link, thanks for adding for us to see.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kilomuncher.com
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Awesome cacti garden   Awesome cacti garden EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 9:35 am

One of the best displays of cactus in a garden that I have ever seen (and I would dream of doing it myself) was at the Christchurch Botanical gardens - though because of the risk of frost they were indoors. But it looked out doors (if you get my drift).

It literally replicated what we'd percieve to be a mexican desert background with scattered cacti - looking quite natural.

Whereas- IMO the above looks unnatural.

I don't disagree that there's some awesome specimens and clearly someone worth trading with, but as a garden it looks wrong.

I think a centre cactus garden, a rock/cactus garden or even a display garden... But not your entire front garden.

I just looked at your link WD - OMG!!! They're absolutely amazing.

I must also admit, that sharman have provided some good seed to me as well (as an aside) - but they took like two months to get to me. I think the owners eat and smoke way too much of their product (sorry if someone here is the owner - it's a joke Razz )
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Awesome cacti garden   Awesome cacti garden EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 7:22 pm

Stuffed greenhouses / collections - yet another pile of wonderful cacti.

The trouble with all of these collections is that I feel so very inadequate with my handful of average joes
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Awesome cacti garden   Awesome cacti garden EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 7:35 pm

Personally, i love the look of this garden.
re: stuffed greenhouses - they are insane! thanks for sharing. Smile
slim6y wrote:
I must also admit, that sharman have provided some good seed to me as well (as an aside) - but they took like two months to get to me. I think the owners eat and smoke way too much of their product (sorry if someone here is the owner - it's a joke Razz )
Laughing Laughing Laughing
'eh, just gimme a couple more of 'em months duuude...'
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Awesome cacti garden   Awesome cacti garden EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 7:37 pm

calycium wrote:

The trouble with all of these collections is that I feel so very inadequate with my handful of average joes

Yep know the feeling well especially when you see the arios and they make yours look like a pimple on a horses bum Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
PD
Calm and Collected
PD

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Awesome cacti garden   Awesome cacti garden EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 7:59 pm

calycium wrote:

yeh but i bet in 20 or 30 years time your greenhouse will look equally as good if not better. You are after all a man with a illness, there is no known cure for cactophilia.
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Awesome cacti garden   Awesome cacti garden EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 8:12 pm

yes, its a terrible delibitating disease, the severity of which increases over time.
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Awesome cacti garden   Awesome cacti garden EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 8:14 pm

lewis wrote:
yes, its a terrible delibitating disease, the severity of which increases over time.

And you have a life time to get over it.................well nearly Laughing
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Awesome cacti garden   Awesome cacti garden EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 8:24 pm

It has been scientifically proven that extended exposure to stimuli including cactus plants, cacti forums, internet sites, books, seeds and anything else cactus-related by cactophilics can also increase the severity of the disease. It is also recommended that sufferers avoid contact with other infected individuals as this also enhances the severity.
At all costs avoid contact with the lands in which these plants grow naturally. This may result in heart failure.
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

PostSubject: Re: Awesome cacti garden   Awesome cacti garden EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 8:31 pm

Yep,

Last edited by calycium on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: Awesome cacti garden   Awesome cacti garden EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 8:34 pm

In order to cope with the highly contagious cactophilia epidemic, several organisations have been established. these 'societies', whilst they may increase the severity amongst sufferers, are a means of isolating affected individuals from infecting the rest of the community. neighbours, friends and family members are at great risk of contraction, and should get themselves checked out at the nearest available health clinic.
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

PostSubject: Re: Awesome cacti garden   Awesome cacti garden EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 8:39 pm

Yes, and at the health clinic you will be forced to sit and look through pages and pages of Cacti photos to cure you of this dreadful disease.
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Awesome cacti garden   Awesome cacti garden EmptySun Jun 29, 2008 5:24 pm

Quote :
Yes, and at the health clinic you will be forced to sit and look through pages and pages of Cacti photos to cure you of this dreadful disease.

Sounds like heaven!!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Awesome cacti garden   Awesome cacti garden Empty

Back to top Go down

Awesome cacti garden
Page 1 of 1