Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Tek for Blue Myrtle cuttings? Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Tek for Blue Myrtle cuttings? Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Tek for Blue Myrtle cuttings? Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Tek for Blue Myrtle cuttings? Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Tek for Blue Myrtle cuttings? Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Tek for Blue Myrtle cuttings? Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Tek for Blue Myrtle cuttings? Empty

Tek for Blue Myrtle cuttings?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Tek for Blue Myrtle cuttings?   Tek for Blue Myrtle cuttings? EmptySun Apr 06, 2008 8:12 pm

I have a nice chunk of Myrtillocactus sp. It isn't M. geometrizans, it is very heavily spined, spines are an ashy gray colour and feel woody, they are flat/angular. WIll post a pic soon.

I have currently got it sitting in a course sand & perlite mix, have herad this genus can be slow to strike? Any tips for promoting root growth, or speeding up root formation. I have never propagated any of this genus and thought it was about time I did as they are very attractive to my eye.

Last edited by trigonus on Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Tek for Blue Myrtle cuttings?   Tek for Blue Myrtle cuttings? EmptySun Apr 06, 2008 8:50 pm

Obviously, you've got to let the cutting callus over properly before planting it out. Laughing

However, beyond that I'd say your potting mix sounds about right. I prefer to use ordinary cacti mix to strike my cuttings, but that's purely because perlite annoys the hell out of me - a decent breeze, and the stuff just blows all over the shop. I've heard of people getting excellent results from striking difficult cuttings into a hydroponic medium called "seramis". I don't know much about it, but quite a few people seem to swear by it.

Otherwise, in my experience I find that an external heat source warming the pots speeds up root formation very rapidly, particularly as we come into winter. I use a flat pad heater that I picked up from the local hydroponics and homebrew shop. This is also a good piece of kit to have as it's also very useful for getting seeds to germinate, and should you have any delicate plants that don't like the cold... plus you can use to heat a fermenter up for beer production, but that's another story.

Last edited by Lachy on Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kada
Calm and Collected
Kada

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Tek for Blue Myrtle cuttings?   Tek for Blue Myrtle cuttings? EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 1:19 am

all my M. geo cuttings are left unpotted until they form root buds. these guys like long days and warm temps. all my winter cuts take 2-3 months, where as my summer cuts take 2-3 weeks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kadasgarden.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tek for Blue Myrtle cuttings?   Tek for Blue Myrtle cuttings? Empty

Back to top Go down

Tek for Blue Myrtle cuttings?
Page 1 of 1