Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Thinking of moving to Oz. Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Thinking of moving to Oz. Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Thinking of moving to Oz. Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Thinking of moving to Oz. Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Thinking of moving to Oz. Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Thinking of moving to Oz. Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Thinking of moving to Oz. Empty

Thinking of moving to Oz.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ml708

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2015-05-05

PostSubject: Thinking of moving to Oz.   Thinking of moving to Oz. EmptyTue May 05, 2015 3:29 pm

I'm thinking of moving to Oz from Singapore as it is impossible for me to do any sort of agricultural and mariculture business in land scarce Singapore. I'll be in Townsville in around 2 months time to experience life in Oz for a few years (Doing my second degree in aquaculture).

I've a few questions though. Is it easy to set up an agricultural and mariculture business in Oz? Is land expensive? How easy is it for one to get a visa to set up an agricultural biz in Oz?

I also have a number of rare and expensive fish and plants (none are illegal), that I would really wish to bring with me in the event that I can stay. How do I bring them into Oz?

I hope that this is the right place to ask this, or if there are other forums that deal more with this sort of thing, please direct me there!

Thanks all! Smile
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of moving to Oz.   Thinking of moving to Oz. EmptyWed May 06, 2015 8:27 am

ml708,

This forum is mainly dedicated to the collection and propagation of cacti. Unless some of the plants you wish to bring to Australia are cacti then this is probably not the best forum for your needs.

Back to top Go down
ml708

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of moving to Oz.   Thinking of moving to Oz. EmptyWed May 06, 2015 1:20 pm

Actually yes! Some of the plants I'm bringing in are rare ariocarpus cultivars such as godzilla and cauliflower king. I would be really sad to part with them
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of moving to Oz.   Thinking of moving to Oz. EmptyWed May 06, 2015 5:28 pm

The best way to go about it would be to go onto the AQUIS website and see what they have to say about importing plants. Normally the plants will have to go to an inspection facility where they will be kept under observation for a number of months.

A word of warning though, this is very expensive and if even the slightest sign of disease is detected, they may opt to either destroy all your plants or you can elect to have them shipped back to Singapore at your own expense. Sadly, AQUIS personnel can be quite unreasonable about these things.

It would be fantastic to get a new source of good genetics into this country so I hope for everyone's sake you succeed.
Back to top Go down
ml708

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of moving to Oz.   Thinking of moving to Oz. EmptyWed May 06, 2015 5:38 pm

thanks so much for your reply! Do quarantine staff take care of plants well? I am determined to bring them in. Looking at the AQIS criteria for quarantine facilities, it does not seem too difficult to set up one.

Sorry I can't post links yet as I'm a new member but its easily found on the net.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried to set up such a facility. If I could I definitely would.
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of moving to Oz.   Thinking of moving to Oz. EmptyWed May 06, 2015 5:55 pm

They usually have their own facilities that the plants are sent to. As for looking after them, I hope they would but it is questionable sometimes. I would contact them via e-mail to inform them of your plans and seek as much information as possible before proceeding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of moving to Oz.   Thinking of moving to Oz. Empty

Back to top Go down

Thinking of moving to Oz.
Page 1 of 1