Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
What's still growing for you? Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
What's still growing for you? Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
What's still growing for you? Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
What's still growing for you? Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
What's still growing for you? Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
What's still growing for you? Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
What's still growing for you? Empty

What's still growing for you?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Cereoid

Cereoid

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: What's still growing for you?   What's still growing for you? EmptySun Jul 13, 2014 10:21 pm

Since it's winter I'm wondering what's still growing in each of our collections. We have a range of climates so it would be interesting to see what keeps growing through the winter in them.

For me it's mostly the epiphytes (some of which are flowering) and some Stenocereus spp. as well as a few Euphorbia spp. and Crassula spp. I'm really impressed by my Selenicereus megalanthus which keeps growing all year round!

So, what are the plants that keep growing through winter for you? And northern-hemisphere members don't feel left out! Just remember how it was last time!
Back to top Go down
Hanazono
Astromaniac
Hanazono

Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: What's still growing for you?   What's still growing for you? EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 8:02 am

I am not sure growing or not but some cacti are in flower.
Since it is mid of winter, both of autumn and spring flowering cacti are in flower together.

Grafted Ariocarpus agavoides
What's still growing for you? Box-s-xos677pzbgareyol3wk3lnrroi-1001?uid=bf52201d-b0b0-4044-afbc-16efe1b03e62&etag=934aa0ef1405288019692062
Mammillaria pectinifera
What's still growing for you? Box-s-xos677pzbgareyol3wk3lnrroi-1001?uid=474bdaf2-1136-4f09-8565-36ed6db7d017&etag=709379041405288009428920
Back to top Go down
http://frank-southofaridland.blogspot.com/
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2014-03-01

PostSubject: Re: What's still growing for you?   What's still growing for you? EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 8:22 am

Well I had a few cacti (various types) that were attempting to push through the winter and continue to grow but they slowed more and more and eventually halted growth as they became drier and drier. Melbourne has been bitterly cold and I didn't want to risk rot by continuing to water them all for the sake of a little growth.
I do have about 4/5 mamms that are developing buds dispite not being watered for what must be 2 months by now. One of which is a tiny little plant but is peristent to flower.
My zygo's continue to grow and have just finished a flush of flowers, nothing spectacular but still a great display, last years flowering was a lot better.
The seedlings are all growing well, there is a few no shows but the rest are putting on some great growth, they are in a controlled environment though so guess that helps.
I'm really looking forward to spring and being able to give my plants a drink. A lot are shrivelled, very dull and I can't wait until they can have a drink and perk up!
Back to top Go down
SneakyCuttlefish
SneakyCuttlefish

Number of posts : 705
Registration date : 2012-12-11

PostSubject: Re: What's still growing for you?   What's still growing for you? EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 11:19 am

WoW!! That pectinifera is stunning. Nice job hanazono.
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What's still growing for you?   What's still growing for you? EmptyMon Jul 14, 2014 10:15 pm

So many flowers! How hot is it in the greenhouse?

I forgot to add that my Agave parryi, Aloidendron barberae, Myrtillocactus geometrizans, M. cochal, M. schenckii and Browningia candelaris are still growing too. Or maybe the latter three started again after I watered them. Something like that.
Back to top Go down
Hanazono
Astromaniac
Hanazono

Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: What's still growing for you?   What's still growing for you? EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 7:40 am

The minimum temperature in greenhouses is around 5 'C but it will rise to more than 30 'C in good sunshine days even if it is mid winter.
Cacti will grow continuously with this environment.

I stop watering in mid of winter and force to stop growing for flowering size cacti.
They need a dormancy in winter if you want to see the good flowering in spring.
I create a micro-climate similar to habitat in winter.

Young grafted cacti and seedlings are not necessary to stop growing.
I water them in winter and they grow continuously in winter.
Back to top Go down
http://frank-southofaridland.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's still growing for you?   What's still growing for you? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's still growing for you?
Page 1 of 1