Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Help, advice needed!  Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Help, advice needed!  Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Help, advice needed!  Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Help, advice needed!  Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Help, advice needed!  Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Help, advice needed!  Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Help, advice needed!  Empty

Help, advice needed!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2014-03-01

PostSubject: Help, advice needed!    Help, advice needed!  EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 7:42 am

Hi guys,
I planted some cereus Peruvians a while ago and they've just popped up in the last few days. Problem is they are growing that fast that within another day or two they will be head butting the container lid, they are only about 4-5 days old (sprouted age) I'm concerned that as they are so young if I remove the lid they will cark it!
At this growth rate a slow acclimate will not be possible.

Any hints?

Thanks,

Walker87
Back to top Go down
wert

wert

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2014-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Help, advice needed!    Help, advice needed!  EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 10:57 am

this is a bit cowboy but just an idea m8.
just get a bigger container, sterile it, sterile your hands"use latexys", work in a draft free enviroment...
put little container in big one...
remove your wrap...
place new wrap over bigger container.

ide wipe the exterior of little container with bleach or metho before the transfer.

your big container may require a resoviour of water to accomidate the larger enviro. if so you can just dump it in the bottom and let condensation & humidity hydrate the medium.

1 last note. i never grew any seedy columbs but most seeds explode with growth using the energys stored in seed... then they grow at a natural rate.
in saying that im thinking you may have more time before they atempt to breach your container. i could be wrong as i said i never grew any tallies... only short n fattys. lol.
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Help, advice needed!    Help, advice needed!  EmptySun Apr 27, 2014 10:50 pm

Have they got any spiny growth or is the height just in hypocotyl? They tend to expand a lot in the first few days then slow down a lot once they start growing from their shoot apical meristem.
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2014-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Help, advice needed!    Help, advice needed!  EmptyMon Apr 28, 2014 7:30 am

Wert, thanks that is a great idea. If they do keep up this rate I will definitely be doing that.
Think I will put some warm water in the larger container and do a mist as well, don't want them going into shock.

Ceroid, no spines at all the oldest 2 are about 5 days old. The growth rate is absolutely explosive, in 2 days they had half filled the container. In the following few days have put on an extra few mm a day. Very exciting to see something grow that fast. I had expected them to slow after a couple of days like the rest of the seeds but these guys are super charged!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help, advice needed!    Help, advice needed!  Empty

Back to top Go down

Help, advice needed!
Page 1 of 1