Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Is there something wrong with my cacti? Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Is there something wrong with my cacti? Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Is there something wrong with my cacti? Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Is there something wrong with my cacti? Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Is there something wrong with my cacti? Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Is there something wrong with my cacti? Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Is there something wrong with my cacti? Empty

Is there something wrong with my cacti?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Is there something wrong with my cacti?   Is there something wrong with my cacti? EmptyThu May 15, 2008 1:47 pm

I had noticed this 'sap' forming on this cacti, is it a problem? What's casuing it? Can I save my cacti or is it not an issue?

Is there something wrong with my cacti? N824030494_3041104_5828

Thanks in advance Smile
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Is there something wrong with my cacti?   Is there something wrong with my cacti? EmptyThu May 15, 2008 2:15 pm

WTF? That looks bizarre I am equally interested in what that might be, looks like latex but surely not.

There does look like a bit of rot on the top where it seems to be coming from, but I have never seen a latex discharge like that before. Very strange.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: Is there something wrong with my cacti?   Is there something wrong with my cacti? EmptyThu May 15, 2008 2:50 pm

Is it possible that while growing one of its own spikes have peirced the flesh of the plant? And the 'latex' is the sap. I know euphorbia sp all have latex like sap that stops flowing in the presence of water.

When I first saw it I thought it was a spider or insect nest. But I looked closer. It may have been like this for a week or so (considering my first appraisel wasn't a puncture wound).

Well - when we find out - until then, what shoudl I do with it. I love this cacti (only known it for a few weeks, but I fall in love easily).
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Is there something wrong with my cacti?   Is there something wrong with my cacti? EmptyThu May 15, 2008 4:28 pm

I would say its rotting from inside................ ?????

Some of the tubercle are looking pale as if they are going the same way
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: Is there something wrong with my cacti?   Is there something wrong with my cacti? EmptyThu May 15, 2008 4:32 pm

help - I want to save my cacti....

I was told I could cut it off at the base and pups would begin to form (so long i dusted with sulfur) - any other suggestions?

I really want to save this cacti (unknown).
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Is there something wrong with my cacti?   Is there something wrong with my cacti? EmptyThu May 15, 2008 4:41 pm

Depends on what its like inside, if the rot or whatever it is hasn't gone down the centre to the roots some do grow pups. Wink

See if there are any suggestions first
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Is there something wrong with my cacti?   Is there something wrong with my cacti? EmptyThu May 15, 2008 5:11 pm

Hehe that is some freaky stuff right there. Slim6y mate poke it with your finger near the top and then work your way down feeling how "soft" it is. Wherever it's soft and squishy you have rot inside.

Don't quote me on this because i'm not that sure but this could be the work of a cacti borer. They usually attack different cacti, when you cut it have a good look for little black worms, they are borers. I say this because they can take out your entire collection if not treaetd.
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: Is there something wrong with my cacti?   Is there something wrong with my cacti? EmptyThu May 15, 2008 5:14 pm

I am onto it right away Smile
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Is there something wrong with my cacti?   Is there something wrong with my cacti? EmptyThu May 15, 2008 5:24 pm

Sounds like good advice. Definitely not cactus sap. Cacti don't produce latex. Euphorbia sp. do infact produce latex but these are succulents and not cacti at all.

Bizarre!!!
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: Is there something wrong with my cacti?   Is there something wrong with my cacti? EmptyThu May 15, 2008 5:43 pm

Ok...

Initial operation:

I rushed this cactus into theatre and quickly began operating by removing the infected tubercle.

It was easy to remove. I found embedded underneath an 'ingrowing' spine.

If I was to anthropormorphise this I'd suggest it had an infection caused by an ingrowing spine.

But there's more to this.

There's plenty of 'sap' underneath the removed area. It's definitley 'sap' fulled. There's no ifs or buts about this.

It had that 'aloe' smell about it when you freshly cut aloe.

It also had red-fleshy bits at the base of the 'good' tubercles where they meet at the base.

It's hard to say if there's further rot in the inside. The cacti felt quite firm.

I saw no immediate evidence of borer. Though the cacti is now located inside and is being kept under bright hot light to 'dry out'.

I hope this survives the ordeal of such a horrific operation. It's now anamputee Sad

I will keep you informed of what I see.

Any further advice welcomed.
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: Is there something wrong with my cacti?   Is there something wrong with my cacti? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 6:22 pm

There was definitely no evidence of borer *phew* But the top half of this cacti could not be saved Sad

It's just a wait and see if there will be any pups now.
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Is there something wrong with my cacti?   Is there something wrong with my cacti? EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 12:52 pm

late i know but id just like to say its a Mammillaria and some, like this, do have latex. it was coming from the plant. its not poisonous like that of a Euphorbia or similar though.
did it survive and produce any offsets slim Question
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is there something wrong with my cacti?   Is there something wrong with my cacti? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is there something wrong with my cacti?
Page 1 of 1