Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Scale - Black, Brown, White. Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Scale - Black, Brown, White. Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Scale - Black, Brown, White. Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Scale - Black, Brown, White. Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Scale - Black, Brown, White. Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Scale - Black, Brown, White. Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Scale - Black, Brown, White. Empty

Scale - Black, Brown, White.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Scale - Black, Brown, White.   Scale - Black, Brown, White. EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 12:10 pm

Scale must be the most annoying insect known to man. In smallish numbers they do no dramatic harm to the plant, but aesthetically your plant will look like a dog has used it for a chew toy for a week.

In my area we get them all, white (small), brown (big), and black (mid) they usually slowly creep up from the bottom of the plant and before you know it the buggers are everywhere and leave hideous scarring.

My question to everyone out there is how do YOU deal with them ?

Please only reply to this thread is you have a genuine treatment/control method I plan on making this a sticky post if we get the desired result.

********************************************************************************************************************

1. (HN) Toothbrush/hard bristle brush - Manually brush the skin, hard, with the brush and the bristles will dislodge the scale. Works for white scale quite well, not very good for black and hopeless for brown (these suckers hold on like nothing else).

2. (IXOXI) - "Scrape larger brown scale off with a blade or sharp instrument". I will add to this you can use sharp plastic knives also which can reduce unwanted damage to the plant.

3. (jk) "White oil and a little detergent in spray bottle, and mist plants, and a TIP: don't use aerosol cans as the propellant (usually hydrocarbons) will damage the skin." I will add to this to b careful with concentrations of oil I.E not too much remember your cacti breath from the skin is oil coats the entire skin you may harm the plant. Mix it on the lower end of the 'scale' Smile

4. (HN) Dust some Diatomaceous earth also known as D.E. and diatomite around the base of the plant, this will stop them creeping up. Works extremely well however there are two major drawbacks, Once DE gets wet it no longer works as good, it tends to clump and when it dries doesn't have the same effect. The second is it is pretty expensive !

How do you deal with them ?

Last edited by Hellonasty on Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:19 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2011-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Scale - Black, Brown, White.   Scale - Black, Brown, White. EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 10:22 pm

I have seen good success using a toothbrush dipped in dry lime powder. Scrub just like HN said.
I carefully lift the brown ones with a blade, and sulfur the open areas.

And as far as I knew, either Barrack Obama or miz Gillard were the most annoying insect known to man...
Back to top Go down
http://www.cacticube.com
jk

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2012-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Scale - Black, Brown, White.   Scale - Black, Brown, White. EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 11:32 am

For white scale I have used white oil, or you can mix a little detergent with oil and water and spray them. I notice that some times it just keeps comming back. I have had better results when they are in more sunlight. Oh don't use white oil from a areosole spray as it burns them, after spraying them with the oil leave in the shade till you water.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Scale - Black, Brown, White.   Scale - Black, Brown, White. EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 2:06 pm

Ok thanks I will update the original post with both of your methods Smile I also added a little info from my experience I hope you don't mind.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Scale - Black, Brown, White.   Scale - Black, Brown, White. EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 2:19 pm

Any more ?
Back to top Go down
Charlie

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Scale - Black, Brown, White.   Scale - Black, Brown, White. EmptySun Dec 23, 2012 2:25 pm

I missed this thread.

I have had bad scale problems. Mainly a soft brown scale. The toothbrush and soapy water gets rid of a lot of them.

But (and I do have green leanings), when it comes to cactus diseases I tend to reach for the chemicals. And for the soft brown scale I found that Malathon will zap them. I don't use it often, but Ive had pretty well no scale since I started using it.

I've noticed that white oil sprays do kill the brown scale, but they can come back.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Scale - Black, Brown, White.   Scale - Black, Brown, White. EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 1:21 pm

Cheers Charlie,

I'm still struggling with the little buggers, they seem to grow in numbers every time I turn around. I have been content brushing them in the past but think I'm going to have to go down the chemical route this time.

I believe there is an insecticide with Malathon and white oil mixed together.

Just a small piece of advice for anyone else, read the label on all insecticides and use the one with the shortest withholding period for fruit, these are generally less toxic to humans.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scale - Black, Brown, White.   Scale - Black, Brown, White. Empty

Back to top Go down

Scale - Black, Brown, White.
Page 1 of 1