Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
scale on gymno crest Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
scale on gymno crest Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
scale on gymno crest Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
scale on gymno crest Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
scale on gymno crest Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
scale on gymno crest Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
scale on gymno crest Empty

scale on gymno crest

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: scale on gymno crest   scale on gymno crest EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 12:34 pm

Just a quick question, what is the best insecticide/treatment for scale insects? My Gymnocalycium baldianum crest has some... the small brown type near the growth area. not that many there but i'd rather be rid of them so they can't spread asap. i soaked them and the gymno in confidor but the plant appears to be dormant now so it is not taking up water (therefore systemic can't work) and the contact action of the confidor seems to be repelled by the hard protective shell of the scale. Mad
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: scale on gymno crest   scale on gymno crest EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 1:55 pm

If it wasn't a crest I would suggest getting a tooth brush and some warm soapy water and just scrub them off.

To get rid of scale you need to suffocate them. Due to the hard shell they are resistant to taking in most insecticides. Buy or make a oil based insecticide and apply to the entire plant. The oil sticks to the scale and suffocates them. White or neem oil work well.

There is a product called pst oil that works and does not used a harsh chem, ror you can go for a product called anti scale that is white oil + Malathion. The anti scale will kill them off pretty quick the brown and the white.

Look around your pots and see if you have ants. Ants enable scale to spread quickly. n most cases if you have ants you have scale. The ants eat the sweet residue left by the scale.
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: scale on gymno crest   scale on gymno crest EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 4:28 pm

Cheers HN Smile ,
yeah i thought of just scrubbing them off but it is a crest and i want to keep it as clean as possible.
Thanks for the chem advice, i'll check out my local nursery and bunnings asap. should i keep the plant shaded while it is being treated with the oil based insecticide? i don't want to burn it...on the upside, gymnos love the shade lol.
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: scale on gymno crest   scale on gymno crest EmptySun Aug 10, 2008 5:51 pm

Hey Lewis I use Rogor as a spray and that gets rid of them some times it takes a couple of doses.

I used white oil once on cactus and I hated it.............left an oil film on the plant for months, but that was years ago and have not used it since.

If you use an oil keep the plant in the shade.........
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: scale on gymno crest   scale on gymno crest EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 7:13 pm

Update: scale dead Smile cheers
white oil did it.
Thanks mates. Wink
yes Betty i put it in the shade... fortunately it's a Gymnocalycium and thrives in those conditions.
Back to top Go down
watertrade
Calm and Collected
watertrade

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: Re: scale on gymno crest   scale on gymno crest EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 7:24 pm

will it need to stay in the shade until the oil washes off? in a couple of months?
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: scale on gymno crest   scale on gymno crest EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 9:37 pm

Good to hear you beat them lewis. Scale are not a huge problem to cacti, only drama is when there are thousands of the buggers.

watertrade wrote:
will it need to stay in the shade until the oil washes off? in a couple of months?

I think it would depend on SP. Cereoids sp are fine in the sun. Once the scale is dead you could wash the oil off with a weak soapy water solution.
Back to top Go down
lewis

PostSubject: Re: scale on gymno crest   scale on gymno crest EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 6:44 pm

well its a small gymno and they burn easily enough without oil on them in the sun so im thinking ill keep it in the shade for safety Wink

Yeah.. i'll try washing off the oil soon. it does appear to have left a film on the plant..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: scale on gymno crest   scale on gymno crest Empty

Back to top Go down

scale on gymno crest
Page 1 of 1