Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Spring is approaching... Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Spring is approaching... Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Spring is approaching... Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Spring is approaching... Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Spring is approaching... Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Spring is approaching... Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Spring is approaching... Empty

Spring is approaching...

Go down 
+5
SnowFella
blowng
Hellonasty
Navajoa
Lachy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Spring is approaching...   Spring is approaching... EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 11:52 pm

Well, the weather is gradually warming up and the plants are coming out of their dormancy. New growth is starting to appear and buds are beginning to form. To make the most of this change in the weather, I have started this seasons gardening by repotting my cold- and wet-hardy pach x scop Bunnings trichs.

How is everyone else going at this time of year?
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Spring is approaching...   Spring is approaching... EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 10:13 am

Started repotting some seedlings myself. Flowering has been very early this year, lots of Turbs, Mamms, Cintias etc all in flower now or just about done already....
Hopefully the ACF members will come out of hibernation now too...been very quiet around here ! Sleep
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Spring is approaching...   Spring is approaching... EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 11:45 am

Yeah it has been uber quiet around here lately. I really hope everyone defrosts and gets moving again over the warmer months. I for one have a couple of projects going this season and can't wait to get them under-way and post some results.

I also have a few Turbs in flower and also a couple of Lophs, seems very early?

I have just repotted a few plants, and put a couple in the ground.

Man I hate winter. On a side note and completely out of left field anyone ever hear of this? I found it interesting and very strange to say the least.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder

Hope you don't mind me posting it Lach. I can start a new thread if need be.

Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: Spring is approaching...   Spring is approaching... EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 12:22 pm

All good, HN. It think it's not just the plants that wind down over winter, and I know a lot of people feel a bit down throughout the cooler months. In contrast, I've always like the line from Bill Hicks in "Revelations"...

Quote :
"You guys have weather. Cool. Los Angeles, every day, hot and sunny, today, hot and sunny, tomorrow, hot and, for the rest of the... hot and sunny, every single day, hot and sunny. And they love it. "Isn't great, every day, hot and sunny?" What are you, a f****** lizard? Only reptiles feel that way about this kind of weather. I'm a mammal, I can afford coats, scarves, cappuccino and rosy cheeked women."
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Spring is approaching...   Spring is approaching... EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 1:55 pm

Hehehe ^^ Thats a good one.
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Spring is approaching...   Spring is approaching... EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 8:44 pm

Heya guys, Ive had to have a couple of weeks off work to save my cacti from the weather when the greenhouse they were in disintegrated in south west WA's recent storms... busy busy ended up building another greenhouse (which wasn't easy as the wind didn't let up much) and cramming all the Mexicans in there... come on spring!
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Spring is approaching...   Spring is approaching... EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 3:08 pm

Spent the colder months here having my collection explode in size, the bench I built a few months ago is now full and I've had to use the bbq as an overflow bench. Embarassed

Spring is approaching... Dsc00028xw

Likely going to have to build another bench sooner rather than later even though a fair few of those are going out into the ground as soon as I get the new cactii bed finished.

And lots of mine are budding up aswell, mainly Mammillarias but also a select few Gymno's and Parodia's. The little O. microdasys I planted out in the ground no more than 2 months ago has started working on atleast 6 new pads all at once Shocked
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Spring is approaching...   Spring is approaching... EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 4:56 pm

Good to see a pic ! Some healthy looking plants you have there.
Back to top Go down
Hanazono
Astromaniac
Hanazono

Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Spring is approaching...   Spring is approaching... EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 7:37 pm

Yes spring is just approaching.
Mammillaria sanchez-mejoradaes are in flower.
Hanazono

Spring is approaching... 2573574810044113659S600x600Q85
Back to top Go down
http://frank-southofaridland.blogspot.com/
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Spring is approaching...   Spring is approaching... EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 8:36 pm

Awesome show Han...One of my favorite mamms. My plants are about the size of one head on your monsters if that!
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Spring is approaching...   Spring is approaching... EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 9:10 pm

Hi everyone sorry for long absence. Been a busy winter for me filling the new houses. Hopefully I'll get time to post a bit in the warmer months.
Anyway there is a beautiful new flower around at my place this year... Tara, 15 months from seed six months from birth. Off topic I know but I thought I'd show her off!
tara 148

Last edited by cryptocarpa on Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Spring is approaching...   Spring is approaching... EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 9:18 pm

Awesome Crypto ! What a cute little bub Very Happy

P.S That was a long time between planting the seed and germination Wink
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Spring is approaching...   Spring is approaching... EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 9:53 pm

You're right about the slow germination HN.
In fact I am told that this species can be notoriously difficult to germinate! Wouldn't really know myself having only ever been on the pollen side of the equation...
What I can say for sure is that if you think germination is slow, try raising them, it takes a lifetime! sunny
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Spring is approaching...   Spring is approaching... EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 5:12 pm

Congrats Big daddy....Good looking genetics Cool Nice to know she'll never have a mealy bug problem.

And yes spring is on for some, new tip growth on all my tricho heaps of turb's budding up some flowerin early alot of stuff still waiting a little bit.
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: Spring is approaching...   Spring is approaching... EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 9:11 pm

Fantastic, Crypto - I'm so very happy for you. How's her big brother coping with this new addition to the family?
Back to top Go down
SnowFella
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Spring is approaching...   Spring is approaching... EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 3:52 pm

Yup, spring is here....atleast if I was to trust some Rebutia's that is. All are newish purchases so I can't take credit for the blooms, don't even know what species they are...I just picked 4 with different colour buds Laughing
4th one is still working on it's buds but I know it will be purple in colour.
Spring is approaching... Dsc00321zc
Spring is approaching... Dsc00322yb
Spring is approaching... Dsc00327yr
Got to fix a better photo setup here, the black background right now is just a black tshirt tossed on the ground Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: Spring is approaching...   Spring is approaching... EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 10:47 pm

Great little Rebutias... they always look like happy little plants to me. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cooky173

cooky173

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Spring is approaching...   Spring is approaching... EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 9:00 pm

Spring is here
Don't mind the dates, apparently my camera is a little bit off...

Spring is approaching... S7300813

Spring is approaching... S7300814

Spring is approaching... S7300710

But then today it came as close to snowing as it ever will in Brisbane (camera lens got a bit wet, but thats all pea sized hail)

Spring is approaching... S7300815
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Spring is approaching...   Spring is approaching... EmptyTue Aug 30, 2011 9:21 pm

Nice plants and crazy weather Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spring is approaching...   Spring is approaching... Empty

Back to top Go down

Spring is approaching...
Page 1 of 1