Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Plastic or ceramic pots? Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Plastic or ceramic pots? Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Plastic or ceramic pots? Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Plastic or ceramic pots? Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Plastic or ceramic pots? Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Plastic or ceramic pots? Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Plastic or ceramic pots? Empty

Plastic or ceramic pots?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Plastic or ceramic pots?   Plastic or ceramic pots? EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 4:29 pm

G'day all,

Like many growers, I have the bulk of my collection in pots, with only the larger specimens planted out in the garden beds. Of the plants in pots, the majority are in square plastic containers that are loaded into plastic trays for ease of movement and transportation. I like plastic pots because they are portable, cheap and easy to repot from. However, I realise a lot of members here use and prefer ceramic pots. My experience with ceramic pots has been tainted by shattered pots, excessive weight and difficulty in repotting. However, they do look nice. So, what other benefits does growing in ceramic confer?
Back to top Go down
shortly

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Plastic or ceramic pots?   Plastic or ceramic pots? EmptyFri Apr 29, 2011 6:08 pm

I prefer plastics for water loving species like Cereus or Melocactus but since my growing environment can be very humid i prefer unglazed ceramics for the true desert dwellers so they stand some chance of drying out between waterings.
Plus a coupla bricks in the bottom of a big ceramic pot helps stabilize my columnars.
Back to top Go down
dvg

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Plastic or ceramic pots?   Plastic or ceramic pots? EmptyMon May 02, 2011 3:17 pm

One of the major benefits of clay pots is they dry out considerably faster than plastic pots.

Clay pots are very useful for growing the difficult very water sensitive cacti, the ones that seem to melt if given to much dampness at any one time, and especially if they are to be grown on their own roots.

Clay pots also offer added weight, so they can be more resistant against breezes and moderate winds and offer some extra-counterweight to the top heavy cacti in collections.

dvg

Back to top Go down
cooky173

cooky173

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Plastic or ceramic pots?   Plastic or ceramic pots? EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:05 pm

I agree with both the posts above. I would add that glazed ceramic is heavy but dries like plastic, which some plants may want.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plastic or ceramic pots?   Plastic or ceramic pots? Empty

Back to top Go down

Plastic or ceramic pots?
Page 1 of 1