Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus Empty

Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus   Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus EmptyFri May 02, 2008 6:03 pm

Well, some of you may know my love for snakes, i was just lucky enough to stumble across this stuff at the Cairns Botanical Gardens (Flecker Memorial Gardens).

Selenicerus sp. and common name Snake Cactus. It was growing up the side of a HUGE palm tree and looked quite healthy. I must have knocked it, because a bit fell off and landed in my girlfriends hand bag, we only discovered it when we got home, so it was too late to go back and return it where we accidentally bumped it.

Anyhow, my question was.. Now that I have this cutting (accidentally) what is the optimum growing conditions. To me it looks like it suits a slightly shaded habitat and maybe even hanging baskets. Does that sound realistic?

Or is this one best to grow in large pots?

Watering habits? It did say it was Mexican, but it sure didn't look like a Mexican species.

I might upload a photo of the sign... maybe there's some cacti around it Smile
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus   Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus EmptyFri May 02, 2008 6:08 pm

Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus 30042011

Just trying something - I uploaded using the 'host a picture' thing... this photo was taken using my mobile camera so apologies of quality...
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus   Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus EmptyFri May 02, 2008 6:15 pm

There are about 27 varieties of Selenicerus - none that I know of can jump from a join and land in handbags - so there are probably 28 Very Happy

From what I can tell - they like humidity and you should keep the soil moist and well drained.

Snake Cactus, or Princess of the Night might be Princesa de la Noche. If so pot it up in an orchid substrate, not a sandy mix like desert cacti.

There's a few Queen of the night varieties too - from Eastern Mexico and the Caribbean
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus   Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus EmptyFri May 02, 2008 6:29 pm

Cool, thanks...

I will call this species the Mexican Jumping Cactus... I swear, it jumped right off that plant and into my girlfriends handbag... She was just as suprised as I was when we got home....

Orchid mix - thanks for that info... I will do that.

Lucky I live in a very humid part of the country! And not to mention I got the cutting... I mean, the cutting fell into my girlfriends bag not far frommy house Smile So no temperature changes for it!
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus   Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus EmptyFri May 02, 2008 6:30 pm

It's a tropical cactus definitely not from Mexico. It's main habitat is Jamaica and Cuba. Stick it in the ground I say.

Jamaica? No, she went of her own free will Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus   Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus EmptyFri May 02, 2008 6:32 pm

I would stick it in the ground, but... I am only renting, so I am better to stick it in a large pot.

So you're saying that the sign is incorrect, it is not a Mexican species at all?

Should I tell the good folk at Flecker Memorial Gardens? I might fail to mention how bits keep jumping off and falling into people's bag!
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus   Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus EmptyFri May 02, 2008 6:36 pm

Some vars are from eastern mexico as well as Caribbean (jamaica etc)
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

PostSubject: Re: Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus   Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus EmptyFri May 02, 2008 6:38 pm

I see, so it could be a Mexican variety after all...
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus   Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus EmptyFri May 02, 2008 7:02 pm

Yeah I should have said that, they just inhabit the non typical cacti community in Mexico. Sorry about the confusion. Areas like Guatamala (spelling?) are tropical, or similiar.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
Kada
Calm and Collected
Kada

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus   Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus EmptySat May 03, 2008 1:24 am

in general, i would think keeping like hylocereus would be good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kadasgarden.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus   Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus Empty

Back to top Go down

Selenicerus sp. Snake Cactus
Page 1 of 1