Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   Empty

Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??

Go down 
+2
TasV
Navajoa
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 11:45 am

So with the Sun out today, it was a good chance for a look around the greenhouse. And besides a Pseudolithos caput-viperae deciding it'd rather rot than sleep, all is looking pretty good. A few plants seem a bit confused though...
My seed grown Blossfeldia thinks it's time to start flowering...
Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   4736748473_93eb52fb78_b

Last edited by Navajoa on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 11:48 am

Turbinicarpus schmiedickeanus enjoying the first sunny day for a while...
Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   4737385048_d8edb357c3_b
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 11:52 am

Turbinicarpus jauernigii might have missed it's chance I think...

Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   4737384962_8d9020f447_b
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 11:55 am

Mammillaria sanchez-mejoradae is a favorite Mamm and is always early to flower for me. Hopefully I'll see seed this year...

Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   4736748377_97a62ea9f7_b
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 11:59 am

Turrbinicarpus (Pelecyphora) pseudopectinatus getting ready to put on its show. Tricky bit is to know when to give it that first water...too soon and you rot the plant, too late and the buds abort...aaargh!
Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   4737384578_160cf5bf9e_b
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 12:02 pm

And even some of the youngsters are getting in on the act..
Turbinicarpus (Pelecyphora) valdezianus

Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   4737384508_2f701dfcb6_b
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 12:08 pm

And finally a plant that seemed to start flowering in Winter. Fantastic spination on this one when you look up close too.....
Mammillaria perezdelarosae ssp andersonii

Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   4736748061_615e420323_b

So what's going on with your plants at the moment ???
Back to top Go down
TasV

TasV

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 1:11 pm

That last Mam. is .... gorgeous Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   524765 I have seed of this I'm going to sow in spring Cool Can't wait for it now.

Only the Arizona snowcap and bocasana are flowering here today and the days are so short and sun is in short supply so this is about as far as they are opening Rolling Eyes:

Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   Arizon10

Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   Bocasa10
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 2:28 am

That Mamm perez is awesome Nava Smile
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 11:06 am

Thanks guys, I've got another couple of very young seedlings coming on, so some day I hope to be able propagate this one, it's a spectacular form..
Good luck with your seed TasV...Nice pics too. I'm starting to think it's only white flowered Mamms that are early!
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 7:47 pm

still no camera so cant show pics but i had a couple of mamms flower & a rebutia is still going nuts with yellow at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 8:52 pm

I have lophs, turbs and Astros flowering?
Back to top Go down
TasV

TasV

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 9:35 pm

Navajoa wrote:

Good luck with your seed TasV...Nice pics too. I'm starting to think it's only white flowered Mamms that are early!

Thanks Nav... It's not just white flowered ones... I've got some sort of Mamm. labelled Mamm. elegans, syn albilinata, fauxiana (which I can't find a reference to anywhere... I thought it might have be haageana... don't think so now...), that has a nice row of pink buds all the way around due out in about a week. It has spination very similar to your Mamm. perezdelarosae too... the central points upwards instead and the radials are not so neat... will photograph it when it comes out.

EDIT: Also got one that looks something like Mamm. hernandezii (it isn't it though... spines are way too fine on mine.. another unknown Rolling Eyes) that has buds too.
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 8:36 pm

no it's not [winter] Razz

interestin tip on the turbini pseudopectinatus
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 8:45 pm

Sorry mutant, but we've had enough of our winter for a while so we're sending it your way !! Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 12:30 am

Man this is really weird I have Blossfeldia about to flower too :S !!! So weird ???
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 2:38 pm

Some nice sunshine this morning...so Mammillaria sanchezmejoradae was in full flight ! Kickass little plant!

Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   4781484325_10a43223a5_b
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 6:39 pm

Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   4782537400_e443a28f36My aztekium ritteri was flowering today.
Back to top Go down
TasV

TasV

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 9:50 pm

Navajoa wrote:
...so Mammillaria sanchezmejoradae was in full flight !

Rainy, windy, cloudy and cold here... cactus flowering but refusing to open Sad Is this one of your seed grown Sanchez. Nav? How old is it?
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 8:32 pm

Yes, TasV that one was seed grown and is about 4 years old I think. Pretty sure that it was from Vlado's seed and I ended up with 3 plants all told, so hopes are high to set seed this season !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??    Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??   Empty

Back to top Go down

Hey, it's Winter... what are you doing flowering now ??
Page 1 of 1