Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Heated grow trays. Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Heated grow trays. Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Heated grow trays. Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Heated grow trays. Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Heated grow trays. Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Heated grow trays. Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Heated grow trays. Empty

Heated grow trays.

Go down 
+5
San Rainbow
PD
trigonus
slim6y
bob-bob
9 posters
AuthorMessage
bob-bob

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Heated grow trays. Empty
PostSubject: Heated grow trays.   Heated grow trays. EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 5:12 pm

I was looking at getting a heated grow tray with thermostat to help improve my rather crappy winter germination rates, I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me anything bad or good about these trays. i.e. do the work well.

A variety of heated trays can be found here

http://www.gardenexpress.com.au/index.html?target=dept_443.html&lang=en-us

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Heated grow trays. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grow trays.   Heated grow trays. EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 5:33 pm

This sort of thing was bought up earlier and I think I had suggested heat mats from a reptile store or a heat cord - both work well with a thermostat.

Check eBay for heat mats.

When it comes back online, www.wehaveitall.com.au often have some awesome deals.

Let us know how you get on with this other crowd if you do buy heated seed trays Smile

Cheers
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

Heated grow trays. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grow trays.   Heated grow trays. EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 5:38 pm

Yeah just use a decent thermostat otherwise you will fry your little baby cacti. The heat mat I use was from ebay, is a pet heating mat and they are available from the sitr slim mentioned. Pretty damn good for a cheaper alternative, just remember to use a thermostat. They are usually about $40+, I got mine from Jaycar Electronics.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
PD
Calm and Collected
PD

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-04-02

Heated grow trays. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grow trays.   Heated grow trays. EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 7:42 pm

Anyone ever tried the el cheapo method of ripping apart an electric blanket fixing it to a board and covering with sand??? I was gonna give it a crack but my partner wouldnt have a bar of it, fire hazard she reckons. Why is everything a bloody fire hazard ffs.
Back to top Go down
San Rainbow
Calm and Collected
San Rainbow

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Heated grow trays. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grow trays.   Heated grow trays. EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 8:04 pm

PD wrote:
Anyone ever tried the el cheapo method of ripping apart an electric blanket fixing it to a board and covering with sand??? I was gonna give it a crack but my partner wouldnt have a bar of it, fire hazard she reckons. Why is everything a bloody fire hazard ffs.

mine to mate, but she let me spend good coin on Heat and grow TPS 040: so I cant argue with that! fits 10 X 1lt takeaway containers on it nicely, had good germ rates with it to

http://heatngrow.com.au/products.htm

Heated grow trays. Img_5010
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

Heated grow trays. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grow trays.   Heated grow trays. EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 8:07 pm

Leccy blankies aren't a fire hazard... I mean, sand doesn't burn.. you tell her that PD!!!

Heat mats are no better - incorrectly used or a faulty one will burn just as well as any blankie!
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Heated grow trays. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grow trays.   Heated grow trays. EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 8:09 pm

well i use a really crap old falling apart reptile heat mat which is at least 12 years old and was about to have been thrown out, with no thermostat, exposed wires where the covering has come away, which i fixed with duct tape. it sparks occassionally. im pretty sure it would qualify as a fire hazard. Wink yet it works!
Back to top Go down
PD
Calm and Collected
PD

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-04-02

Heated grow trays. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grow trays.   Heated grow trays. EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 8:36 pm

Quote :
Heat mats are no better - incorrectly used or a faulty one will burn just as well as any blankie!

shhhhh, dont say that, i will have to watch an instructional video before i use my heat mats next.

but seriously, i have used in the past an old electric secretaries foot warmer i found at a second hand shop. Looked to be about circa 1970s from the packaging but it works a treat.
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Heated grow trays. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grow trays.   Heated grow trays. EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 8:49 pm

Here's my set up

Heated grow trays. Heat_m10

Got to get something reflective to help keep the light and heat in. Finally got round to putting it on over the weekend and put in some seedlings and then planted and another 31 lots of seeds.
Back to top Go down
San Rainbow
Calm and Collected
San Rainbow

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Heated grow trays. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grow trays.   Heated grow trays. EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 8:51 pm

serious stuff Betty! wish I had more room!
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Heated grow trays. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grow trays.   Heated grow trays. EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 8:55 pm

I was lucky to get this one fairly cheap. Its an old one of Rudolf Shultz's 3m x 1m. I just wish a bit of his growing powers would rub off on me Smile
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

Heated grow trays. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grow trays.   Heated grow trays. EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 9:40 pm

Those tomato plants look pretty sus....
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Heated grow trays. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grow trays.   Heated grow trays. EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 9:47 pm

Try panda film Betty, they sell it at hydroponics shops.

Quote :
Those tomato plants look pretty sus....

Speaking of hydroponics... tongue

Wish I could have a good setup like the ones in this thread, good work people.
Back to top Go down
watertrade
Calm and Collected
watertrade

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Heated grow trays. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grow trays.   Heated grow trays. EmptyMon Jun 02, 2008 10:53 pm

This is what it looks like when its all sealed up - made from panda film and has velcro to close the flaps.
Heated grow trays. Dark10

this is what its like on the inside - each level has two 18watt fluros. suspended on a wire mesh - the light below gives heat the level above. the top level is MDF with a few nasty holes cut out.

Heated grow trays. Light10
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Heated grow trays. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grow trays.   Heated grow trays. EmptyTue Jun 03, 2008 6:32 am

Thanks guys I will see if we have somehere who sells hydroponics.

They are sure to as busts are quite regular up here Shocked Laughing

I have it on a MDF table I made that then has carpet with the mat on top and then plastic over the mat just in case. It has a thermostat that sits in a pot in the middle which has a meat thermometer stuck in it. When I said it was too expensive it actually cost me $150 but well worth it.

Slim6y if they were suss plants I wouldn't be working Wink

The tomatoes are actually adansonia and kedrostis plants. Look them up they are interesting plants Smile

WT that is a great looking set up which reminds me I must put my pereskiopsis on the mat.]

San Rainbow lucky I have to shed to throw it in. Yikes just had a terrible thought, what if I can't find a house to rent with a decent size shed. Aah spare bedroom might come in handy cyclops
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Heated grow trays. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grow trays.   Heated grow trays. EmptyTue Jun 03, 2008 10:27 am

Quote :
adansonia

Always wanted a boab tree.

Awesome grow room WT, nice work!! Smile
Back to top Go down
sacred pedro

sacred pedro

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-04-30

Heated grow trays. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grow trays.   Heated grow trays. EmptyTue Jun 03, 2008 11:43 am

whered you get your shelf set up from WT? i like the idea of the light heating the level on top, very efficient
Back to top Go down
watertrade
Calm and Collected
watertrade

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Heated grow trays. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grow trays.   Heated grow trays. EmptyTue Jun 03, 2008 12:25 pm

sacred pedro wrote:
whered you get your shelf set up from WT? i like the idea of the light heating the level on top, very efficient

its just one of those 'hammerlok' shelves from bunnings - I replaced the mdf shelf with metal mesh - the lights can get very hot and I was worried about starting a fire
Back to top Go down
bob-bob

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Heated grow trays. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grow trays.   Heated grow trays. EmptyTue Jun 03, 2008 2:59 pm

Thanks for the pics of peoples set-ups. Very Happy

Short on cash so might try the heat mat option.
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

Heated grow trays. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grow trays.   Heated grow trays. EmptyTue Jun 03, 2008 6:14 pm

Baobab - Thanks for the heads up on that - they are awesome!
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Heated grow trays. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grow trays.   Heated grow trays. EmptyTue Jun 03, 2008 6:23 pm

Trigonus wrote:
Always wanted a boab tree.
slim6y wrote:
Baobab - Thanks for the heads up on that - they are awesome!

Slim6y and Trig I grow so many of these type of plants. I still love my cactus but the caudiciforms have taken over as no.1 as far as seeds are concerned. Probably as I get results much quicker than with cacti Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Heated grow trays. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heated grow trays.   Heated grow trays. Empty

Back to top Go down

Heated grow trays.
Page 1 of 1