Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms Empty

Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms

Go down 
+7
Roger The Dog
Dioscorea
prier
Glochid
Tula
hornet
parrotsheaven
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms EmptyThu May 15, 2008 4:16 pm

My main interests in the plant world are anything that grows a caudex

Curious to know if anyone else here has any of these beauties.

Here are a few of mine

Momordica rostrata-Ipomoea costata-kedrostis africana-corallocarpus boehmii-coccinea sessilifolia-pachypodium bispinosum x succulenttm -poupartia minor

Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms 2474180140102430961rXtppW_thDoes Anyone Grow Caudiciforms 2160894510102430961nAbpUF_thDoes Anyone Grow Caudiciforms 2002621190102430961LlXoOz_thDoes Anyone Grow Caudiciforms 2292671410102430961WDrfhK_thDoes Anyone Grow Caudiciforms 2410353330102430961grjYAk_thDoes Anyone Grow Caudiciforms 2526812880102430961AJuSDG_thDoes Anyone Grow Caudiciforms 2383252280102430961XRMTAA_th

And there are the adeniums with their weird and wonderful shapes and so easy to grow from seeds

Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms 2335710960102430961YnuYWf_thDoes Anyone Grow Caudiciforms 2635547120102430961aVjskt_thDoes Anyone Grow Caudiciforms 2770035040102430961DhAeXY_thDoes Anyone Grow Caudiciforms 2032265630102430961BSwBVV_thDoes Anyone Grow Caudiciforms 2590193240102430961PEPWNi_th

Oh and the flowers are pretty good too

Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms 2875901330102430961PHqVSB_thDoes Anyone Grow Caudiciforms 2690000910102430961gicKUZ_thDoes Anyone Grow Caudiciforms 2063072120102430961ndnXYh_thDoes Anyone Grow Caudiciforms 2704829290102430961aSyBKZ_thDoes Anyone Grow Caudiciforms 2444849260102430961JHKyzc_thDoes Anyone Grow Caudiciforms 2511620680102430961EkpdYg_th

All pics are clickables
Back to top Go down
hornet

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms EmptyThu May 15, 2008 4:22 pm

i wouldnt mind grwing from from the cucumber family, they are pretty neat. How are they to grow?
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms EmptyThu May 15, 2008 4:31 pm

hornet wrote:
i wouldnt mind grwing from from the cucumber family, they are pretty neat. How are they to grow?

Go dormant in winter so got to have somewhere to store them so they don't get any water on them. Apart from that very easy. The best way to get a big caudex is to keep them buried for as long as you can hold yourself back. The Adeniums I was going to rebury in spring but couldn't bring myself to do it Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tula

Tula

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms EmptyThu May 15, 2008 10:05 pm

Yeah, I love fat-plantsI bought a desert rose today (Adenium I think???), I have a few Fokeas, a few Mexican figs (Ficus) a half dead pachypodium, a Trichodiadema bulbosa and a couple of ant plants (Hydnophytum formicarum) that I grew from seed.
Back to top Go down
hornet

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms EmptyThu May 15, 2008 10:19 pm

would you call ant plants caudiciforms? i have one, real neat plants
Back to top Go down
Tula

Tula

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms EmptyFri May 16, 2008 1:50 pm

Yeah, I'd say Hydnophytum Formicarum is definitely a caudiciform type plant, thats it on the far left below, its about 4-5 years old and grown from seed, its little friend to the right of it is about 2 years old and Im hoping it survives but its difficult to grow such things down here in antarcica, Im also after the other ant-plant Myrmecodia beccarii but havent been able to source any fruit yet.

Central inset is Trichodidema bulbosum, it seems easy to grow, its little partner at the base struck without any difficulty and is just a trimming from the parent plant and is beginning to thicken up at the base nicely, Ive had this for about 3 years.

The inset at the right is one of my mexican figs, its about 20 years old, its about to drop its leaves and go dormant for the winter.

Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms Fp1

The second image has one of my favorite Fokeas on the left, this one is about 10 years old, I dont think that it is a Fokea edulis as it doesnt produce those long tendril like shoots but remains quite compact as can be seen, the inset on the right is the Adenium obesum that I bought yesterday.

Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms Fp2
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms EmptyFri May 16, 2008 2:18 pm

Love the Ant plant, have not been able to get a plant or seeds yet - but working on it as always with any fatties I don't have Wink

The Fockea could be an sp. of some sort. I don't know of any that don't have vines though. The branches make me think of an adenium arabicum but the caudex is fockea. Very nice

Look after that adenium especially when it loses it leaves - keep it dry till it starts growing again in spring. You probably know that any way Smile

Artic weather eh!!! I will be shifting down your way in the future to Geelong What a Face
Back to top Go down
hornet

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms EmptyFri May 16, 2008 3:02 pm

my ant plant is a Myrmecodia beccarii and i see them for sale everynow and then, if you wish i can pick one up next time i see it and let ya know? I'll also let you know when i get any fruit
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms EmptyFri May 16, 2008 3:09 pm

Cool that would be great Very Happy

Thanks very much
Back to top Go down
Tula

Tula

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms EmptyFri May 16, 2008 9:57 pm

Yeah!!! If you run across one, Myrmecodia beccarii (a nice one), I'd be happy to re-imburse you and cover the postage, I know where there are a couple of nice ones but I've never stooped low enough to just grab-em and run, though I have to say I have been tempted, they sure are nice, Myrmecodia beccarii should really be called the butterfly plant, its association is said to be with the Apollo Jewel butterfly the caterpillar of which feeds on the foliage and lives within the tuber, though I suppose you guys already knew that.  At one time last year, I caught a line of ants going from my Hydnophytum Formicarum to some lophs I keep on the same window sill, they were tearing up the fruit (seed cases) of the lophs and marching back to the fat-plant with them, I lost so many loph seed that way that eventually I had to nuke-em.
Back to top Go down
hornet

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms EmptySat May 17, 2008 8:10 am

no worries, i see a few for sale at orchid shows. I got mine off ebay and when i got it was full of ants. Not sure if they are stil there or just setlled becuase i never see them anymore
Back to top Go down
Glochid

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms EmptySun May 18, 2008 7:49 pm

I have a few caudiciforms. I haven't taken pics of them for a while. Some have died, but you can all have a look at my plants pictures here:

Some of My Plants

Jocelyn Ainsworth's Collection No.2

Jocelyn Ainsworth's Collection No.1

NSW Cactus and Succulent Show 2007
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms EmptySun May 18, 2008 8:00 pm

Nice collection Wink

Seems we have similar tastes in plants Very Happy
Back to top Go down
prier

prier

Number of posts : 107

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms EmptyMon Jun 16, 2008 8:57 pm

Caudiciforms are my new love, I've been collecting them for just over a year now. I really dig the succulent leaved ones, senecio, adromiscus, monadenium, euphorbias, etc...
Next time I get a chance I'll take some photos to add to this thread.
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms EmptyFri Jun 20, 2008 8:15 pm

Very Happy
prier wrote:
Caudiciforms are my new love, I've been collecting them for just over a year now. I really dig the succulent leaved ones, senecio, adromiscus, monadenium, euphorbias, etc...
Next time I get a chance I'll take some photos to add to this thread.

Look forward to seeing the photos as soon as you get a chance.

I got my first monadenium recently and its only small, but I am patient.............well I have to be unless I come across a big one Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Dioscorea

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 12:39 pm

Hi

Caudiciform succulents are my main interest.

Unfortunately, they are becoming harder to locate.

There are 2 pages of photos - for some reason page 2 loads first.

Some of mine

Have quite a few more, but my photo and computer skills are poor, so have to rely on my daughter who got tired of assisting.

Last edited by Dioscorea on Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Roger The Dog

Roger The Dog

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 1:02 pm

I just picked up a couple of desert roses. Should they not get any water over winter?
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 6:29 pm

Dioscorea wrote:
Hi

Caudiciform succulents are my main interest.

Unfortunately, they are becoming harder to locate.

There are 2 pages of photos - for some reason page 2 loads first.

Some of mine

Have quite a few more, but my photo and computer skills are poor, so have to rely on my daughter who got tired of assisting.

Hi Dioscorea

Welcome the ACF so glad you found your way here. It seems we have outbid each other a few times before.

How right you are that they are hard to locate. Seeds is the only way I can try and get anything I want. Its getting them then hoping like mad that they germinate. I have my heat mat full of differnt things at the moment. Getting into Pelargoniums and tylecodons so I can have something growing in winter. The only trouble is that tylecodons are proving to be very difficult from seeds and no one seems to know the trick to them.

Wow your Gerrardanthus are amazing, I have not found one yet!!! Like so many fat plants I would like to get Smile

The pots you have your caudiciforms in are great.

Cheers
Betty
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 6:31 pm

Roger The Dog wrote:
I just picked up a couple of desert roses. Should they not get any water over winter?

Unless you have them in a heated hothouse no water. They will rot if you do. Let them go dormant and wait until the leaves start to bud before giving water. Also protect them from frost.
Back to top Go down
Dioscorea

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 11:30 am

Hi

A couple of photos of Cyphlostemma juttae

Bought at auction
A couple of depraved friends pointed out the resemblance to........... lol!
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 12:10 pm

You have made my day lol!

She is a stunner and to think you want to cut off her legs scratch

Now all she needs is for her legs to be shaved but don't think the razor would get over the knobbly knees Laughing Wink

How tall is she?
Back to top Go down
Dioscorea

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 5:16 pm

Hi Betty

This one is 30cm from the top of the pot.

I don't really want to amputate but I can never look at it in the same way after the comments I got. I blushed at the rude remarks from a mutual friend.

I do have another much larger with 4 stems, so I can imagine what some would make of that one.

I will post a photo later in the year when it leafs up.
Back to top Go down
Gracie
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2008-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 8:06 pm

Fantastic photos! thanks for sharing.makes me want to go searching for some.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kilomuncher.com
Vicki
Calm and Collected
Vicki

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 10:01 am

I admit to liking these too. I have quite a few pachypodiums, Diascorea elaphantipes and hemicrypta, Fockea edulis and Kedrostis africana.
Back to top Go down
Dioscorea

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 11:47 am

Hi

Dioscorea elephantipes would have to be the iconic caudiciform.

A reasonably-sized to large specimen definitely makes a statement that even non-addicted people find fascinating.

In nature it was reputed to grow to a massiver size - 6-7 foot high and 500kg, I believe, but I bet not many plants got to that size. Awesome!

It would be interesting to hear of the largest specimen in Australia.
The largest I have actually seen is growing in a glasshouse in the Hobart Botanic Gardens, but I have heard of a larger one in a garden in Geelong in Victoria.

Fortunately the plant sets a lot of seeds that seem to germinate reasonably well, so not hard to find specimens for sale.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms   Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms Empty

Back to top Go down

Does Anyone Grow Caudiciforms
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next