Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
E. cinerascens?? Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
E. cinerascens?? Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
E. cinerascens?? Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
E. cinerascens?? Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
E. cinerascens?? Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
E. cinerascens?? Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
E. cinerascens?? Empty

E. cinerascens??

Go down 
+2
blowng
CactusPolecat
6 posters
AuthorMessage
CactusPolecat
Calm and Collected
CactusPolecat

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2008-10-06

E. cinerascens?? Empty
PostSubject: E. cinerascens??   E. cinerascens?? EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 7:33 am

I've had this plant for many years and it's never flowered for me until now, so I've had a real sense of excitement about it since I saw it's bud appearing in early spring.
The plant used to belong to my wife before we were married nearly 30 years ago, so it's been around for a while. It's a slow grower, and I've broken up the clump a number of times.
It has remained nameless all these years, but now with the help of this beautiful large flower, I've been a-checkin' on possible dubs.
The stems have six ribs, are 4cm in diameter, 8 radial spines, 1 central, sometimes a couple of sub-centrals. Flower is approx 12cm across... or would have been if it had opened completely.

I'm thinking it is Echinocereus cinerascens, what do you think?
E. cinerascens?? Th_Echinocereussp_332APOL_1109d E. cinerascens?? Th_Echinocereussp_332APOL_1109c E. cinerascens?? Th_Echinocereussp_332APOL_1109b E. cinerascens?? Th_Echinocereussp_332APOL_1109a

E. knippelianus...
E. cinerascens?? Th_Echinocereus_knippelianus_1109d E. cinerascens?? Th_Echinocereus_knippelianus_1109c E. cinerascens?? Th_Echinocereus_knippelianus_1109b E. cinerascens?? Th_Echinocereus_knippelianus_1109a

And another of my morricallii in flower.
E. cinerascens?? Th_Echinocereus_viereckii_ssp_morri-5 E. cinerascens?? Th_Echinocereus_viereckii_ssp_morri-6 E. cinerascens?? Th_Echinocereus_viereckii_ssp_morri-7

Still more Echinocereus buds coming on, so more flower pics to come.

Cheers, CP.
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

E. cinerascens?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: E. cinerascens??   E. cinerascens?? EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 4:48 pm

wow that Echinocereus morricallii flower is to die for!
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

E. cinerascens?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: E. cinerascens??   E. cinerascens?? EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 5:05 pm

Sorry, not much help here. Cinerascens is certainly a candidate, but so are a few others I think...
Great plants and photo's though ! E. cinerascens?? Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-09-07

E. cinerascens?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: E. cinerascens??   E. cinerascens?? EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 10:58 am

do you think the weather has varied slightly down there CP... how come recently two plants that haven't flowerd are showing their true colours?
or is it that these plants just take a long time to reach maturity?

BTW great flowers & photos mate!!! always impressive E. cinerascens?? Icon_cheers

regards
Darren
Back to top Go down
TasV

TasV

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2010-03-12

E. cinerascens?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: E. cinerascens??   E. cinerascens?? EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 1:28 pm

Dunno about a change in weather. It's maybe been warmer for longer this year. I don't know what part of Tas CP is in (I'm assuming from the Sunshine Coast reference somewhere on the east coast.. Swansea area maybe), but here in the NW I've also got an old cactus (also part of a much older cactus clump... is fairly fast growing though), which I think is either an Echinocereus or an Echinopsis, that I have never seen flowers on. It didn't flower last year either... would like to know if you tried anythng different to maybe kick-start its flowering. I've just potted it on into a 25cm pot to give you an idea of scale. I was really hoping it would have flowered last season to help get me closer to an ID... always next spring E. cinerascens?? 326249. It was growing outside during the winter the least few years. Do you think the frosts may have killed off any developing flower buds? It's in excellent condition so I don't really see any reason for it not flowering. This is my old flowerless plant:

E. cinerascens?? Unknow10

This particular clump is about 4 years old now. The original clump was nearly 2ft in diametre. Judging from the growth rate of this one, which was only 4 offsets when I potted it 4 years ago, it would also be 30 odd years old... taking offsets doesn't reset the age does it? They should still be mature offsets capable of flowering almost straight away I would have thought???

BTW CP, I must say how much I have enjoyed looking at your excellent photos and reading your posts since joining... a real inspiration to growing cacti down here in Tas! If you are in the NW and you ever want to drop in for a coffee you are more than welcome Smile (if you don't mind kids and chooks and dogs and ducks and cats and all manner of other animals running around all over the place. It's a bit of a mad-house around here E. cinerascens?? Icon_rolleyes ).

Last edited by TasV on Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

E. cinerascens?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: E. cinerascens??   E. cinerascens?? EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 3:37 pm

TasV that looks like an Echinopsis and if you wanted to speed things up in teh flowering department just keep them solitary , keep flicking off the pups which sap flower producing energy, probably too late to do this with yours tho...but it works for me....and your in the north west of tas? doesnt it rain alot there? do you need to protct your cacti much from the elements? just curious as we may be neighbours too one day ,got to love tassie...oh yeah and CP you are an inspiration to cold climate growers everywhere
Back to top Go down
TasV

TasV

E. cinerascens?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: E. cinerascens??   E. cinerascens?? EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 5:44 pm

Yep.. Up near Devonport. Rains a lot here during winter (especially last winter... needed gills to get around last winter), so I've been bringing some of them inside during the winter to dry out. Some, like the one above, gets left outside because it doesn't seem to affect them. Just today I've put up a little greenhouse and moved everything into it. Hopefully they will be able to over-winter more safely in it this year. It's only a little cheapie, however, and I'm not expecting it to last much more than a year. During that time a more substantial and larger one will be built to replace it.

I've heard about keeping them solitary to induce flowering. I might remove one of the offsets off this one and keep it solitary to see if I can get some flowers out of it (I agree... I was tending towards Echinopsis too). I'll leave this plant to clump at-will because I also really like the clumping habit as well.
Back to top Go down
CactusPolecat
Calm and Collected
CactusPolecat

E. cinerascens?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: E. cinerascens??   E. cinerascens?? EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 7:50 pm

Thanks TasV & blowng for your kind words...

TasV... it looks like you and I are neighbours. E. cinerascens?? Icon_cool
Is there any place other than the NW coast, more fitting to be called
Tassie's sunshine coast? forget the east coast... E. cinerascens?? Icon_wink

You plant is definitely Echinopsis, I'm unsure, but they look like small offsets of E. (Tricho.) schickendantzii.
If grown in the ground I would expect the mature stems to grow to be 100mm or so in dia., and 600mm or more in height.
What are the dimensions of the original plant stems from where you got yours?
I have grown schickendantzii in a pot outside, but growth was somewhat slow, but it like space so once planted in the ground it took off and never looked back.
Schickendantzii should look like this:

E. cinerascens?? Th_Trichocereus_schickendantzii_1108n E. cinerascens?? Th_Garden_Tricho_schickendantzii_1109b E. cinerascens?? Th_Trichschickendantzii_0308

CP.

PS. Devonport... the centre of the Sunshine Coast of Tas. E. cinerascens?? Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
TasV

TasV

E. cinerascens?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: E. cinerascens??   E. cinerascens?? EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Hi CP,

Devonport huh.. that's cool... we are indeed neighbours then. I teach science/maths/marine science at Ulverstone High and live in Forth (and steering away from it this weekend... the town has the 'blues' this weekend E. cinerascens?? Icon_rolleyes ). Your success with your outdoor cactus garden is even more inspiring then given we have the same climate (I was thinking rain shadow... East Coast... last time I was out there it was so dry I half expected to see cactus growing everywhere Wink ). Is there any other place??? Well... hmmmm... we moved here form Norfolk Island... that's gonna take some beating E. cinerascens?? Icon_cool

The original plant was growing at a property we rented in Cuprona (near Burnie) when we first arrived in Tas. It was a cluster of heads growing in the ground near 2ft in diametre made up of hundreds of heads not more than say 100-150mm in diamtre but also not more than 200mm tall. It was planted under a awning, however, and got very little water (or care) at all so maybe it was stunted by the conditions??? I actually looked at those photos of yours in your outdoor garden post and thought it looked very similar to my unknown one based on its spination alone. It seems to have a very vigorous root system that grows much faster than it offsets filling its pot very quickly and becoming potbound... even in quite deep pots. It's just been repotted as I mentioned above into a 25cm pot so I'm half expecting a bit of a growth spurt... I think on the next repotting I too will put mine in the ground to see what it does. If it is schickendantzii and it turns out half as nice as your plant I will be very happy.

Last edited by TasV on Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
CactusPolecat
Calm and Collected
CactusPolecat

E. cinerascens?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: E. cinerascens??   E. cinerascens?? EmptyTue Mar 23, 2010 10:16 pm

TasV wrote:

... Is there any other place??? Well... hmmmm... we moved here form Norfolk Island... that's gonna take some beating E. cinerascens?? Icon_cool

Yes, I suppose if you put it that way... E. cinerascens?? Icon_lol That's quite a change in climate for you.

Would like to catch up sometime, pm me if you like.

Cheers.

CP
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-10

E. cinerascens?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: E. cinerascens??   E. cinerascens?? EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 5:10 pm

wow, echinocereus flowers rule, I think I have to get my hands on some!

Great pics Smile
Back to top Go down
CactusPolecat
Calm and Collected
CactusPolecat

E. cinerascens?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: E. cinerascens??   E. cinerascens?? EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 9:02 pm

mutant wrote:
...I think I have to get my hands on some!

Great
pics Smile

Yes I reckon you should too! E. cinerascens?? Icon_wink

Glad you enjoyed my pics

CP
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

E. cinerascens?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: E. cinerascens??   E. cinerascens?? Empty

Back to top Go down

E. cinerascens??
Page 1 of 1