Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Shadehouses. Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Shadehouses. Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Shadehouses. Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Shadehouses. Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Shadehouses. Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Shadehouses. Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Shadehouses. Empty

Shadehouses.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
PD
Calm and Collected
PD

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-04-02

Shadehouses. Empty
PostSubject: Shadehouses.   Shadehouses. EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 12:54 am

I have been using two smallish hothouses i got from kmart over the past 2 years, while one of them didnt quiet make it through the last summer i just needed something with a bit more room to move. The plastic on the kmart jobs didnt like the direct summer sun too much and fell to pieces on one, a quick repair with some decent shadehouse plastic has done the job so far but i dont like its chances of standing up to too much rain or a storm. So room was the main issue but also the plastic on the smaller two is completly clear and had to be covered with a layer of shadecloth or 2 for the one houseing seedlings, oh yeah, ventilation is shockin aswell. I had enough, it was time to build something a bit more stable and user friendly. I searched around for some plans for a good stable shadehouse that i could build on the cheap and for awhile i was just going to do a star picket and poly pipe job, i ended up with something similar but it looks alot prettier haha. It hasnt taken long at all so far but i better keep my mouth shut, i havent got to putting the plastic on yet tongue. I wouldnt mind getting some heat pads and such in there also, hehe, if the boss lets me.

Shadehouses. 2435906051_6dba69c8f9_m Shadehouses. 2435906995_1712e1a955_m

nearly done, just need to get the plastic, the benches in and most importantly the plants into their new home Smile

Any of you guys got nice big shadehouses? What sort of plants do you have in there or is it just for a special purpose such as seedlings/grafts etc? and do you have suggestions about raisning cacti in a shadehouse?
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Shadehouses. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shadehouses.   Shadehouses. EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 7:38 am

Great photos PD. I like what you have done and I bet your cacti will like their new home. When I put mine up, I put the clear plastic over it, and then 50% shade cloth - based on all the literature I had read. Put the cacti in it in the middle of last summer. Mistake #1. They burned and all the small ones, and astros, started to suffer. Lithops all died.

Had to get 75% shadecloth for south oz and I put a strip of in the middle of my "house", so that each end still gets 50% sun and I can lift an end and give them full sun from the north end.

All my seedlings now get 75% shade, including my astros and lithops. Larger hardier plants like gymnos and ferros get 50%. I have moved my seedlings into the 50% end now because its not summer. In winter the ones that I'm trying to grow fastest (new seeds germinating) will get full sun.

Suppose my advice is - think about the shade cloth requirements for oz - they are not what some of the lit says.

pictures of my work in progress later.

cheers,
Calycium
Back to top Go down
PD
Calm and Collected
PD

Shadehouses. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shadehouses.   Shadehouses. EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 10:45 am

Yeh i will definitely have shadecloth over the top in summer and some good ventilation. The heat really hurt some of my plants in the smaller houses and seedlings just stall. Will be the first year i have grown my seedlings through winter outdoors. They are going really well atm, much better than under the fluoro lights which isnt really a surprise but the real cold hasn't hit yet so im not counting my chickens.

Do you get any growth out of the plants through winter at all? I know my ornamentals slow to almost a stop in one shadehouse but that receives very little to no direct sunlight at all during the middle of winter.
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

Shadehouses. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shadehouses.   Shadehouses. EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 1:01 pm

Nice work PD, makes mine look like a lean to Very Happy

Is the design for this "house" available on the net anywhere?

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
PD
Calm and Collected
PD

Shadehouses. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shadehouses.   Shadehouses. EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 2:06 pm

A small backyard greenhouse - PDF

There ya go trig Smile
A few things in the design arent available in Au but they dont really matter that much, such as PVC cross joints, i just connected the ribs to the top middle support with lil roofing bolts also it says a aluminum tube should be put in the top middle support for stability but you cant get it so i didnt bother with it. The two 45x90 supports i ran on the top from front to back arent in the design but you need them unless you want the front and back frame to fall over.
Plastic is available at GOOD nurseries for around $20 per mtr and i saw it on ebay aswell nice and cheap (11 bux per mtr)
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Shadehouses. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shadehouses.   Shadehouses. EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 2:45 pm

Cheers mate. Looks good. I think there is a website that sells solarweave and another one too I think. They are in Australia. Will have to have a look on my other computer for the link though. Will post on the forum as they had some other good stuff too.
Back to top Go down
PD
Calm and Collected
PD

Shadehouses. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shadehouses.   Shadehouses. EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 9:48 am

Shadehouses. 2449828315_9d16159b39_m

Done and done.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Shadehouses. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shadehouses.   Shadehouses. EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 11:08 am

Just awseome PD. Wish I had room for something like that.
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Shadehouses. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shadehouses.   Shadehouses. EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 5:27 pm

Can't see the pic, seems to be a problem with the gallery. Damn!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shadehouses. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shadehouses.   Shadehouses. Empty

Back to top Go down

Shadehouses.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: General Cultivation, Identification & Information-
Jump to: