Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
i hate mieces to pieces! - Page 2 Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
i hate mieces to pieces! - Page 2 Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
i hate mieces to pieces! - Page 2 Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
i hate mieces to pieces! - Page 2 Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
i hate mieces to pieces! - Page 2 Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
i hate mieces to pieces! - Page 2 Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
i hate mieces to pieces! - Page 2 Empty

i hate mieces to pieces!

Go down 
+11
tripsis
Olga
windmill
watertrade
KanJe
cryptocarpa
Lachy
Hellonasty
lewis
MichaelCactus
blowng
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
watertrade
Calm and Collected
watertrade

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: Re: i hate mieces to pieces!   i hate mieces to pieces! - Page 2 EmptyThu May 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Add me to the list of people at war with mice.

I have noticed they prefer Astrophytum asterias ( about 10 plants munched)

and not so much but still keen on Lophophora. (15 – 20 but
not as much damage as the astros.)

Tomorrow I go against my own rules and bring out the poison.

ick!
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: i hate mieces to pieces!   i hate mieces to pieces! - Page 2 EmptyThu May 13, 2010 11:50 pm

It's the only way, unless you want to play the never ending ''put the bait on a mouse trap'' game lol, my mice were living inside the compost bin out the back , a few generations of them ...so I placed the bait in there safe from the pets .They haven't come back yet. i hate mieces to pieces! - Page 2 Icon_twisted
Back to top Go down
watertrade
Calm and Collected
watertrade

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: Re: i hate mieces to pieces!   i hate mieces to pieces! - Page 2 EmptyFri May 14, 2010 10:05 pm

I went out this morning and the greenhouse has a bad slug/snail problem too.

I couldn't believe the amount of damage just done overnight. I'm hoping both pests will soon be in the past...
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-09-07

PostSubject: Re: i hate mieces to pieces!   i hate mieces to pieces! - Page 2 EmptySun May 30, 2010 2:16 pm

i have recently had a problem with mice and discovered by accident an humane trap which seems to work every time. All i do is cut about a 3cm opening in a chip packet ( i prefer to use toobs they love them ) then place on the bench or where ever the mice are causing a problem. go back and check regularly making sure you are in stealth mode... then when you hear them rustling away in the packet simply karate chop the opening and whalla!!! then its just a matter of decideing how you are going to dispose of them. BOL
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: i hate mieces to pieces!   i hate mieces to pieces! - Page 2 EmptySun May 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Thats funny i had a problem with mice or more my dog chasing them a running over all my haworthias so i fenced of this area in three weeks if found four half eaten mice thanks to my dog. And if had no more mice problems.American staffy she loves mice birds or anything that moves.
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-10

PostSubject: Re: i hate mieces to pieces!   i hate mieces to pieces! - Page 2 EmptyMon May 31, 2010 5:40 pm

Blowng, isn't this thing goint to smell horribly?? plus I am not sure it's so healthy for people to be around, even if it's a OK for cacti. But I really like the symbolisation of it! I guess there are not many as bold ways to say "keep away".

I have been having some problems with some kind of jaybird, I am trying to ID the bird. Some minor nips on grafted scions mostly, but they did extensive damage to my lithops, probably because they loves bright colours among little stones etc. The damage was not fatal in most occasions, but many plants were unburried and and I had to replant them.

This seems to have come in a wave though, and I haven't seen them for a while, but If they come again, I am thinking of getting an airgun. After these assaults, I have started seeing hunters/hunting with more sympathy.
Back to top Go down
cooky173

cooky173

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: i hate mieces to pieces!   i hate mieces to pieces! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 9:59 pm

Humane or not mouse trap:
Bucket
1.25L or bigger bottle, with sticker and lid off
Peanut Butter, or something else sticky that mice like
A long rag or board to use as a ramp

Cut a slit halfway through the bottle about 10cm from the bottom, and slip it over the bucket, with the opening towards the centre of the bucket.

Put the food on the mouth piece of the bottle, and then hang the rag over the end of the bottle. You want it to be secure, so maybe peg it, or hook it through the slit.

Mice smell the food, climb the rag, walk towards the food, and slip off the plastic, into the bucket.

Now, with water in the bucket they drown, otherwise you could use it as a live trap but you might need a deeper bucket. A 44 gallon drum level with a plant bench could work I guess.

Hope that makes sense. If you google bucket mouse trap you can see similar designs.
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: i hate mieces to pieces!   i hate mieces to pieces! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 11:28 pm

mutant wrote:
Blowng, isn't this thing goint to smell horribly?? plus I am not sure it's so healthy for people to be around, even if it's a OK for cacti. But I really like the symbolisation of it! I guess there are not many as bold ways to say "keep away".

not as bad as the kangaroo in the compost bin lol.............................................
...............................................................................................................
nice tips cooky, also bait fish traps work really well the type with a two funnel entrances that lead to a chamber ,they get in there and cant get out .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: i hate mieces to pieces!   i hate mieces to pieces! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

i hate mieces to pieces!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2