Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Whats the best pesticide/fungicide Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Whats the best pesticide/fungicide Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Whats the best pesticide/fungicide Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Whats the best pesticide/fungicide Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Whats the best pesticide/fungicide Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Whats the best pesticide/fungicide Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Whats the best pesticide/fungicide Empty

Whats the best pesticide/fungicide

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
spacemonk

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Whats the best pesticide/fungicide   Whats the best pesticide/fungicide EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 8:43 pm

Was wondering whats the best pesticide/fungicide for cactus, but this being the catch i have some dragonfruit plants that,
I will want to keep the fruit edible. afro

Any help appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Kada
Calm and Collected
Kada

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best pesticide/fungicide   Whats the best pesticide/fungicide EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 11:36 pm

depends what the problem is.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kadasgarden.com
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best pesticide/fungicide   Whats the best pesticide/fungicide EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 1:24 pm

What Kada said ^^^^ though you are going to want to be very careful in regards to edible fruits etc; and the residual effects of most chemicals.

Have you consider altering the growing conditions/environment? Also you might want to look into getting some biological pest control (bio bugs etc;) and using more natural alternatives, but even these can be a little toxic and usually have withholding periods.

As far as I know cacti retain chemicals in their cells for a long time and I am guessing that it could be transferred to the fruits/edible parts.

Clearly I am not an expert on these things, see what other responses you get here and also search the web thoroughly for info regarding chemical residues in cactus. Possibly not a bad idea to search the SAB forums too, or even post a new thread on it over there.

I can't stress enough that you should be very careful.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best pesticide/fungicide   Whats the best pesticide/fungicide EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 1:36 pm

Yeah it depends on species.

For dragon fruit you don't need to worry about fungicides as they hardly ever rot. Pests/bugs don't really like them either.

What other SP do you want to protect ?
Back to top Go down
Kada
Calm and Collected
Kada

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best pesticide/fungicide   Whats the best pesticide/fungicide EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 5:26 pm

Hellonasty wrote:

For dragon fruit you don't need to worry about fungicides as they hardly ever rot. Pests/bugs don't really like them either.

i was thinking that as well, which go tme thinking...even teh flowers, when done, they jsut hang there, even in typhoons and prolonged WET periods without mold....makes me wonder if they have something in them that naturally deters fungus?

but i do notice some bugs eat the fruit in lower portions of the plants, mainly snails/slugs and some chewing insects such as crickets.

i think trigonus is right. try and change teh conditions to prevent things, when possible. there will obviosuly be times this is next to impossible, but not usually...if tis really that bad, may want to jsut save the plant and skip on eating the fruit.

but knowing the problem would really help Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.kadasgarden.com
spacemonk

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best pesticide/fungicide   Whats the best pesticide/fungicide EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 10:02 pm

All my cacti are fine, i was just trying to prepare for the worse!!
thanks everyone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best pesticide/fungicide   Whats the best pesticide/fungicide Empty

Back to top Go down

Whats the best pesticide/fungicide
Page 1 of 1