Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
New here and looking for advise Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
New here and looking for advise Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
New here and looking for advise Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
New here and looking for advise Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
New here and looking for advise Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
New here and looking for advise Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
New here and looking for advise Empty

New here and looking for advise

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
aussieorchid

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-06-15

PostSubject: New here and looking for advise   New here and looking for advise EmptyMon Jun 16, 2008 8:55 pm

Hi all I am new to the forum and cactus in general. I have worked as a plant biologist for several years now mostly doing work with rare and threatened Queensland species particularly orchids. I have decided to venture into the world of cactus. I have recently purchased a house and am in the process of redoing the front garden beds and I would love to make this a cactus/succulent garden. Can anyone point me to some good books on cactus species in general and any particular species that will do well in Brisbane climate in the garden.
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: New here and looking for advise   New here and looking for advise EmptyMon Jun 16, 2008 10:04 pm

Hi aussieorchid and welcome Very Happy
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: New here and looking for advise   New here and looking for advise EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 9:45 am

Welcome aussiorchid. Most cacti should thrive in your climate, but it might be prudent to choose cacti that won't be too troubled by high humidity and too much water. For example things like Ariocarpus sp. & Astrophytum sp. should be avoided.

Depends how much space you have and what sort of sizes you were wanting to have. Clumping Echinopsis sp. should thrive also Trichocereus sp. will do well especially T.pachanoi and similiar, the Trichos can get pretty huge though. Certain Opuntia sp. would be worth a shot as long as they are not weedy ones. There is around 2,500 species of cacti out there and many more hybrids and cultivars, the list is quite possibly endless as to what you may want to plant. It also comes down to prefereance and what will survive and thrive in your climate.

There is some good literature to be had here: http://www.kimscactusbooks.com.au/

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask more questions here about it. We do have a few Northern members on the ACF, they might pipe up soon with some more suggestions as to what will do well in Brissy.

Last edited by trigonus on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
Squil

Squil

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: New here and looking for advise   New here and looking for advise EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 10:06 am

Golden barrells (Echinocactus grunsonii) are popular, attractive and fairly easy to source.

From Wikipedia: "Jamie Durie, one of Australia's leading garden designers, has called it one of his personal favourite plants."

There you go! What further endorsement do you need!

Welcome to the world of cactophilia (no, not that kind of philia).
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: New here and looking for advise   New here and looking for advise EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 2:32 pm

hylocereus and epiphyllums and all epiphytes should thrive in those conditions, but prefer a slightly shaded aspect. pereskia will do well.
Back to top Go down
aussieorchid

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-06-15

PostSubject: Re: New here and looking for advise   New here and looking for advise EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 4:57 pm

Thanks for all the tips and advise. The area is about 6m long and 2m wide so I am hoping to have a few larger feature plants in the middle and smaller ones to fill in the spaces. Funny you should mention golden barrels squil as they were one of the feature plants I was thinking of. Are there any places someone could suggest in brisbane would be good but do not mind mail order for the right plants.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New here and looking for advise   New here and looking for advise Empty

Back to top Go down

New here and looking for advise
Page 1 of 1