Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Pictures of the Mallee Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Pictures of the Mallee Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Pictures of the Mallee Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Pictures of the Mallee Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Pictures of the Mallee Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Pictures of the Mallee Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Pictures of the Mallee Empty

Pictures of the Mallee

Go down 
+4
Stutters
trigonus
hornet
parrotsheaven
8 posters
AuthorMessage
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Pictures of the Mallee   Pictures of the Mallee EmptyTue Jun 03, 2008 7:55 pm

Hornet wanted to see some photo of the Mallee so here are a few I have taken going to and from work. What looks like water is actually salt pans.

Pictures of the Mallee Mallee10
Pictures of the Mallee Mallee11
Pictures of the Mallee Mallee12
Pictures of the Mallee Mallee14
Pictures of the Mallee Mallee15
Pictures of the Mallee Mallee16
Pictures of the Mallee Mallee17
Back to top Go down
hornet

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Mallee   Pictures of the Mallee EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 6:02 pm

nice, love that landscape, thanks for the pics
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Mallee   Pictures of the Mallee EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 6:39 pm

Great pics Betty. Really captures the 'feel' of the mallee I think. I have been through the Hay plain a few times and a few other mallee areas in SA, it certainly has a unique 'feel' about it. One question though...where's all the cacti? Looks like prime cacti cultivation territory that does.

Wink
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Mallee   Pictures of the Mallee EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 6:51 pm

hornet wrote:
nice, love that landscape, thanks for the pics

There sure is something about it Smile

trigonus wrote:
Great pics Betty. Really captures the 'feel' of the mallee I think. I have been through the Hay plain a few times and a few other mallee areas in SA, it certainly has a unique 'feel' about it. One question though...where's all the cacti? Looks like prime cacti cultivation territory that does

Laughing Laughing how right you are.................would be prime cultivation territory
Back to top Go down
Stutters

Stutters

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Mallee   Pictures of the Mallee EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 7:05 pm

... for Opuntia afro
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Mallee   Pictures of the Mallee EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 7:10 pm

Stutters wrote:
... for Opuntia afro

Or how about a few spikey blonde ones Pictures of the Mallee Stutte10
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Mallee   Pictures of the Mallee EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 8:47 pm

Yeah,
went for a drive last weekend along the riverland through the mallee. There was some interesting clumps of cacti that had been planted and abandoned that had spread. Lots of optunia (didn't grab any of that )

Last edited by calycium on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Mallee   Pictures of the Mallee EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 9:03 pm

Calycium they kinda hurt don't they

I have two stuck under my thumb nail at the moment Crying or Very sad

Did you get to visit any gardens on your travels?
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Mallee   Pictures of the Mallee EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 9:21 pm

No Betty - no gardens - just playgrounds for the children and a different outlook on life. The mallee is beautiful (peaceful and relaxing), but remote from Adelaide, halfway between you and I.

Still considering the River Murray plantation out near Manumn when it warms up. I've also heard there is a nice plantation out near Renmark somewhere to the north of the town.
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Mallee   Pictures of the Mallee EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 9:39 pm

I have heard there is an older guy who has a great garden in Renmark. Have been meaning to go over and see it, but time has always been the problem lol

I know a couple who also have a garden in Renmark and they use to sell a lot of cacti. My collection started from them, they use to visit Mildura markets. They have stopped selling now which is a shame. If you want I could try to find out where it is for you from this couple.
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Mallee   Pictures of the Mallee EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 10:44 pm

Thanks Betty,
That would be good - I'm not going there for while, but would enjoy the opportunity to see some other collections. Maybe even buy some plants.

Last edited by calycium on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Mallee   Pictures of the Mallee EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 11:46 pm

Those are great photos of the mallee. As an inhabitant of southern victoria, it always amazes me to view the arid interior of the country... it's just such a stark contrast to what I'm used to. It's just breathtakingly beautiful, and really something to behold.
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Mallee   Pictures of the Mallee EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 5:55 pm

I am really enjoying my drive to work these days as I get away from looking grape vines everywhere. It is one thing I will not miss when I leave the area Rolling Eyes

I did not grow up here but grew up in South East SA so the rows and rows of grape vines are foreign to me even after 22 years of living here.
Back to top Go down
Tula

Tula

Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Mallee   Pictures of the Mallee EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 11:10 pm

I don't know

I like the Mallee, but much of that flat stuff is artificial, I can barely imagine what once must have been there before the tractors tore down the dryland forests, flattened the soil and plowed in the wheat belt. I love the desert and I go up through that region about 3 times a year, I keep thinking that one day I will stop at one of those Mallee desert parks along the way either Hattah or Sunraisia and try to photograph some of those Mallee chooks but I never have a lot of time to waste when up that way.

I like it up north of the river, I have a few special places there where I prospect for plants, photos, whatever, once you get off the beaten track and away from the road amongst the dunes, there a special kind of peace out there and a special kind of silence, although silence is not quite the right word, often you can hear a breeze springing up from miles away over the dunes as it roars through the leaves of the trees giving you just enough time to climb the nearest dune, unbutton your shirt front and catch it full on, I get a special kind of feeling up there when I'm hiking around, it's difficult to put into words and probobly sounds a bit gay but it feels like I'm on a trail homeward or something like that.

The place is going downhill fast though, the numbers of ferral goats are a problem, its getting hard to find native fringed lillies and other plants and they've managed to displace even the emus and roos over the last few years, there is a place up there where I tried planting out a few special cacti but had to give up on that idea as the goats ended up eating them as well.

Pictures of the Mallee 2004_1112ImageA0035
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Mallee   Pictures of the Mallee EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 9:40 am

Nice pic Tula and description of the Mallee as you see it.

That tufty grass is so iconic of a healthy Mallee scrub.
Back to top Go down
PD
Calm and Collected
PD

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Mallee   Pictures of the Mallee EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 10:43 am

I have heard tales of large tricho stands in the west of Vic. Will head out that way one day to search.

I did see a massive patch of trichos on an ABC program once, the propewrty was in SA just over the border from Vic so the stories may be true.........

i can dream cant i hahaha
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Mallee   Pictures of the Mallee EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 1:13 pm

Tula great photo, one day when I finish work early enough I will head up a track towards Hattah Parks and take some more pics as long as its dry don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere with no phone range Smile

I should ask my friends other half to point me in the direction of the mallee chooks as he works for DSE. Their nests are huge............

You mentioned the river and its very low in some spots I took these as I left work last week.
Pictures of the Mallee Abc_0010

Pictures of the Mallee Abc_0011

You can see how low the river is by the steep banks on this last photo. First time I have ever seen sanbars in the middle of the river in 22 years I living up here.
Back to top Go down
Tula

Tula

Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Mallee   Pictures of the Mallee EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 10:36 pm

That's bizzar, I saw a few pics not so long ago taken on the Murray at Mildura in 1917-18, this was said to have been their worst drought ever, There were cars and trucks and people having a picnic all on the dry bed of the river. With all the recent rain up in Broken hill I'm hoping the Greaater anabranch of the Darling finally got some, that one has been bone dry for the last 5 years, last November I walked through it again and there were all these huge fresh water muscles embedded in the dry riverbed, each one of them could have made a meal larger than the average person could eat.
Back to top Go down
PD
Calm and Collected
PD

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Mallee   Pictures of the Mallee EmptySun Jun 15, 2008 10:46 pm

There are spots around here where the "natural course" of the river has stopped flowing this winter. Of course there is still a flow in the deeper creeks that run nearby but she looks pretty low this year. LOL Betty, those pics look like the river here when its full during summer,i guess the river is alot wider downstream though Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pictures of the Mallee   Pictures of the Mallee Empty

Back to top Go down

Pictures of the Mallee
Page 1 of 1