Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Rot/disease advice? Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Rot/disease advice? Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Rot/disease advice? Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Rot/disease advice? Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Rot/disease advice? Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Rot/disease advice? Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Rot/disease advice? Empty

Rot/disease advice?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Eck

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2012-12-04

PostSubject: Rot/disease advice?   Rot/disease advice? EmptySun Oct 05, 2014 1:06 pm

I have a small clumping TBM that recently developed a rot/disease issue on the tip of one segment.  The affected area appears to be contained and hardened off but who knows.  What, if anything, should I do about it?  The plant cost a small arm and leg so I'd hate losing it all to slow rot.

Rot/disease advice? 345ylvc
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Rot/disease advice?   Rot/disease advice? EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 2:45 pm

Kinda looks like the result of sun burn. I would keep them away from strong sunlight and slowly introduce them to greater light intensity.
Back to top Go down
Eck

PostSubject: Re: Rot/disease advice?   Rot/disease advice? EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 9:43 pm

Hellonasty wrote:
Kinda looks like the result of sun burn. I would keep them away from strong sunlight and slowly introduce them to greater light intensity.

Could be.  The plant was originally in a propagation box under fluorescents when the orange spots one can see around the tip began appearing.  At this point I moved it to indirect light under a verandah and after a few days to stronger light.

If I can be sure what caused the orange spots is no longer a threat, I'm inclined to leave it alone.  Cutting off the affected part would not only look terrible, but run the risk of losing the whole segment if the cut doesn't heal.  The tip is a little more wrinkled since since the photo was taken.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Rot/disease advice?   Rot/disease advice? EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 1:13 pm

TBM's are very susceptible to disease/bacterial problems and this is a result of the mutation weakening the plants immune system. The good thing is TBM's get these bacterial issues all the time but they seldom cause any life threatening or major problems, additionally they usually clear up without any intervention and only cause some moderate scaring.

Back to top Go down
Eck

PostSubject: Re: Rot/disease advice?   Rot/disease advice? EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 10:39 pm

HN, thanks for the info re TBM's.  Hopefully it will put out some pups this season.
Back to top Go down
Eck

PostSubject: Re: Rot/disease advice?   Rot/disease advice? EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 8:02 pm

Just when I thought nothing else could go wrong ...

Checked it this morning and everything was fine.  Came back in the afternoon
to find a fat green caterpillar creating a wormhole in my TBM.  Arghhhhh

Rot/disease advice? Wa3af9
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Rot/disease advice?   Rot/disease advice? EmptyWed Jan 07, 2015 1:48 pm

Cheeky little bugger !
Back to top Go down
hydrophobe

hydrophobe

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2013-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Rot/disease advice?   Rot/disease advice? EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 8:17 pm

Must be something with TBM's as I also found a catepillar on one last year, only time i've ever had one on a cactus.  
Rot/disease advice? Img_2010
Above is the damage it did in short order before my tweezers found it.  Plant is ok but has a nasty scar  Sad
Back to top Go down
Eck

PostSubject: Re: Rot/disease advice?   Rot/disease advice? EmptyFri Feb 06, 2015 10:31 pm

Regular TB's too.  Last year I had a small TB seedling which was attacked by what must have been a snail or slug. This year the same seedling had a caterpillar chewing on it.  Adjacent T.Peru seedlings were left untouched.  I can only assume TB's have a particular smell which attracts the pests.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rot/disease advice?   Rot/disease advice? Empty

Back to top Go down

Rot/disease advice?
Page 1 of 1