Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia Empty

which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
CactiHunter

CactiHunter

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia   which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia EmptyThu May 15, 2008 9:17 pm

Can anyone tell me which cacti genera / species are on the Australian list of prohibited imports?
Cheers!
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia   which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia EmptyThu May 15, 2008 9:23 pm

If you want to do a search to see what you can import go here

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_querycontent.asp
Back to top Go down
CactiHunter

CactiHunter

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia   which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia EmptyThu May 15, 2008 10:03 pm

Groovy, Thanks!
Back to top Go down
slim6y
Calm and Collected
slim6y

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Re: which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia   which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia EmptyFri May 16, 2008 8:05 am

I phoned up the DPI the other day to see what restrictions there were in local content... And there's suprisingly only two that are prohibited - the 'H' ones that I can't recall the name of and a couple of species of opuntia, otherwise he said it was open slather for Qld. Other than the police restricted cacti - but those you need to check with the cops - I believe it is only the lophs that are prohibited.

Then... The CITES prohibited is the next level...

If you do find such a list I am sure we'll be keen to know.
Back to top Go down
San Rainbow
Calm and Collected
San Rainbow

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia   which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia EmptyThu May 22, 2008 7:58 pm

slim6y wrote:
I phoned up the DPI the other day to see what restrictions there were in local content... And there's suprisingly only two that are prohibited - the 'H' ones that I can't recall the name of and a couple of species of opuntia, otherwise he said it was open slather for Qld. Other than the police restricted cacti - but those you need to check with the cops - I believe it is only the lophs that are prohibited.

Then... The CITES prohibited is the next level...

If you do find such a list I am sure we'll be keen to know.

so if you live in nsw or vic would t be legal to import loph sp ?
Back to top Go down
San Rainbow
Calm and Collected
San Rainbow

PostSubject: Re: which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia   which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia EmptyThu May 22, 2008 8:06 pm

its a little over my head... scratch
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia   which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia EmptyThu May 22, 2008 8:11 pm

No reason why you can't as its not illegal to grow it bounce
Back to top Go down
San Rainbow
Calm and Collected
San Rainbow

PostSubject: Re: which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia   which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia EmptyThu May 22, 2008 8:22 pm

the legal jargon puts me off... find it all a little overwhelming. Question
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia   which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia EmptyThu May 22, 2008 8:40 pm

I was under the impression it was infact illegal to import loph seeds from O/S. It's now illegal in two states by the way Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia   which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia EmptyThu May 22, 2008 9:07 pm

San Rainbow did I misread your post........ I thought you meant importing from another state. Like Trigonus said its illegal to import loph seeds from O/S
Back to top Go down
San Rainbow
Calm and Collected
San Rainbow

PostSubject: Re: which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia   which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia EmptyFri May 23, 2008 5:29 pm

are ariocarpus, astrophytum, euphorbia obesa, mammillaria & pelecyphora alright to import?

Last edited by San Rainbow on Fri May 23, 2008 6:25 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia   which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia EmptyFri May 23, 2008 5:35 pm

Some are some aren't

You have to check at the AQIS site

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_querycontent.asp

Just put in the name ie:ariocarpus, scroll through for seeds for sowing and country and will bring up another bit that you click on and it will open what seeds are allowable imports.
Back to top Go down
San Rainbow
Calm and Collected
San Rainbow

PostSubject: Re: which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia   which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia EmptyFri May 23, 2008 6:09 pm

cheers, I thought anything "as listed" couldn't come through Embarassed
still a bit of mission in regards to all the legal paper work and procedures, or is it? scratch
I'm new to this so please excuse my annoying noob questions...
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia   which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia EmptyFri May 23, 2008 6:14 pm

It can be confusing. I have been trying to put in a thread on importing but copying and pasting keeps stuffing up grrrrrrrrr. I will try again later.

I did a search for Astrophytum and it brings up this

Species listing for Astrophytum spp.
See Table 1 for a list of species that are permitted entry .

Note: Any species not listed in these tables are prohibited entry into

Table 1: List of Permitted Species. These species may be imported subject to the conditions C7100, C7179, C7180, C5012.
Astrophytum asterias
Astrophytum capricorne
Astrophytum caput-medusae
Astrophytum coahuilense
Astrophytum myriostigma
Astrophytum myriostigma var. strongylogonum
Astrophytum ornatum
Astrophytum senile
Back to top Go down
San Rainbow
Calm and Collected
San Rainbow

PostSubject: Re: which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia   which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia EmptyFri May 23, 2008 6:21 pm

I have had a quick read through conditions, is it easy getting o/s suppliers to comply with these?
hopefully suppliers have had enough practice with complying with oz customs.
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

PostSubject: Re: which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia   which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia EmptyFri May 23, 2008 6:35 pm

I have never had any problems with this. As long as they send cleaned seeds. If you buy from reputable sellers you will be fine.

Just have to make sure that state/local governments comply with the list. I know that Victoria is fine but not sure about other states now especially Queensland.

I found it very confusing when I started importing trying to read all the conditions.

These are the only two that you need to take notice of.

Condition C7100

Importer’s Responsibilities
1. An Import Permit is not required.

3. It is the importer’s responsibility to check state government/local government requirements to ensure that the seed is permitted entry into that state/territory.

Also make sure that the supplier names the seeds with the correct name. The suppliers I have bought from all do this.

Hope this is helping
Back to top Go down
San Rainbow
Calm and Collected
San Rainbow

PostSubject: Re: which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia   which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia EmptyFri May 23, 2008 6:53 pm

very helpful Betty, you rock! thank you very much Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia   which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia Empty

Back to top Go down

which cacti are prohibited from Importing seeds into Australia
Page 1 of 1