Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? Empty

Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling?

Go down 
+2
Hellonasty
Sir Cypher
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Sir Cypher

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-03-04

PostSubject: Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling?   Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 8:59 am

Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? P1020210Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? P1020314Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? P1020310Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? P1020315Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? P1020315Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? P1020316Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? P1020312Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? P1020317[url=http://forum.auscactiforum.net/gallery/Personal-album-of-Sir-Cypher/Pink-Turbinicarpus-Pseudopectinatus-005-pic_76.htm]Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? P1020313Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? P1020318

The pictures tell a story.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling?   Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 10:40 am

Who knows, at that early stage it is very difficult to tell could be due to light, heat, water issues, they look like they are getting plenty of light. Some seedlings tend to be slow in producing their own chlorophyll and will begin to do so at a later stage.

What species is that ? Bit early for ID purposes Smile but looks like Lophophora.
Back to top Go down
Sir Cypher

PostSubject: Re: Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling?   Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 11:07 am

Ooops I forgot to mention it in my OP but it is a Turbinicarpus Pseudopectinatus. Before the light induced the pink pigment it was unusually white but unfortunately I didn't take any photographs of this stage. The graft took place at about 1-2 weeks old. The other seedling mates in these pictures are the same species. Well never the less if it is I have already performed the graft and now only time will tell.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling?   Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 2:50 pm

I have grafted a heap of white/pink seedlings, two things have happened. First they shrivel up and die and second they grow and grow normally Sad

Fingers crossed for this one Smile
Back to top Go down
Sir Cypher

PostSubject: Re: Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling?   Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 5:35 pm

Me too! Very Happy Either way I still had fun dreaming about it.
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling?   Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 8:41 pm

It is rare but sometimes seedlings like that will survive and grow to look like this guy...
cacti 081
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling?   Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 9:18 pm

WOW nice one Crypto ! that is awesome.
Back to top Go down
Sir Cypher

PostSubject: Re: Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling?   Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? EmptyTue Mar 08, 2011 7:00 am

Wow I am trying to imagine the pseudopectinatus shape and spine form with that pigment and I can imagine it is just as beautiful as your astro. Thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
Sir Cypher

PostSubject: Re: Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling?   Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 7:14 pm

Well the graft is now about 13 days old or so at this point and things are still looking good. The scion seems to almost be larger than before but it could be an illusion. If it is still nice and plump looking at this point is that point towards a successful graft? When you have grafted seedlings of color like this and they shrivel when is it that they would do this?
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling?   Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 8:47 pm

Sometimes the graft doesn't take and they shrivel 30%
othertimes they bloat but fail to grow and eventually die off after months 40%
still others grow but very slowly and can be easily wiped put by winter,disease or sun scorch 25%
Sometimes they do o.k like my one in the picture, less than 5%
of course this is only my experience from maybe 50-100 seedlings like that I have grafted and it assumes they don't revert to green.
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling?   Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? EmptyWed Mar 16, 2011 8:51 am

Yeah, I had a loveley bright yellow Obregonia that I successfully grafted only to have it revert back to plain old green !! Does look like it might be cresting or something now though, so here's hoping....
Back to top Go down
Sir Cypher

PostSubject: Re: Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling?   Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 10:42 am

Navajoa wrote:
Yeah, I had a loveley bright yellow Obregonia that I successfully grafted only to have it revert back to plain old green !! Does look like it might be cresting or something now though, so here's hoping....

That sounds very cool. Do you have pictures of before and after pictures of the color?
Back to top Go down
Sir Cypher

PostSubject: Re: Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling?   Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 4:42 am

Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? ImageIs this a chlorophyll-less seedling? Image

Just thought I would show you an update on the color of the scion vs the seedling mates.
Back to top Go down
scarab

scarab

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2009-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling?   Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 11:58 pm

whoa crypto that is freakin gorgeous! it looks like an amanita!
good luck cypher
Back to top Go down
Sir Cypher

PostSubject: Re: Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling?   Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? EmptyWed Apr 27, 2011 1:39 am

So far my seedling has not shriveled and died but it has not grown yet either. It could just die one of these days if it doesn't start growing.
Back to top Go down
IXOXI
Cereus about Cacti
IXOXI

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2011-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling?   Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 9:39 pm

Any update on this seedling Sir Cypher?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cacticube.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling?   Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is this a chlorophyll-less seedling?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: Propagation: Seeds & Vegetative-
Jump to: