Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana Empty

Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mr_diesel60

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana   Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 9:37 pm

Hi,

I went out and took some measurements today off all my cactus. I plant to again take the measurements after the growing season around April.

My two Trichocereus pasacana's came in at just over 8 inches tall (or 20cm). When I purchased the second one I was told that it was 9 years old and grown from seed. However, it was root bound and wasn't in the best growing position (maybe getting some afternoon sun). I have since repotted it in a much larger pot.

After doing some research I found a site that claims their Pasacana had a solid 7 inches of growth during the summer months. I have purchaced slow release fertilizer from Collectors Corner which i'll add on September.

Both plants are housed in a small green house with pleanty of ventilation facing north.

I need to put pics up!! They will come within a few days, as the green house is located at the inlaws house.

Regards,

Paul M.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana   Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 11:11 am

Paul,

Like most Trichocereus, Pascana will put on a foot+ of fresh growth in a season no problem if given good growing conditions. Pascana grows over 30 feet tall and is a stunning enormous plant when mature. Put it in a huge pot or the ground and watch it grow.

HN
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana   Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 3:57 pm

Another thing to consider is that as plants mature, the rate of growth increases. So, a small seedling will grow quite well - however, a more mature plant will put on much more growth due to a bigger root system, more extensive vascular network, etc.
Back to top Go down
mr_diesel60

PostSubject: Re: Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana   Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana EmptyTue Jul 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Thanks guys.

Yep, it's in a large pot but it's winter at the moment so I don't think it's growing. It's in the green house. It has developed new spikes though.

Here's some pics of the green house and my Pasacana's

Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana DSC00564

Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana DSC00568

The soil mix that the right hand side Pasaca is in is from Bunnings. The Pasacana on the right's mix is the Garden World's own mix. It seems to have a mixture of bark included as well. A few of my cactus are potted in the same mix and seem quite happy. All have developed good solid roots (they don't come out of the ground if you tug them). The green house is only small but the front flap is open and allows plenty of ventilation through. Can't wait till spring!!
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana   Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana EmptyThu Jul 15, 2010 7:04 am

they look great! great finds!
Back to top Go down
prier

prier

Number of posts : 107

PostSubject: Re: Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana   Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 11:19 am

Ya really don't need em in the green house. I've found that trichos in melb prefer fresh air and some winter rain. i reccomend over potting them with some well draining mix. use the commercial cacti mixes with an additional 30% coarse sand and a healthy dose of slow release.
They probably won't grow much taller over the next two years, they'll just fatten right up. after they're a nice footbal size they'll put on some height. give it ten years os so and you'll get that foot of growth a year.

prier.
Back to top Go down
mr_diesel60

PostSubject: Re: Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana   Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 9:59 am

Ah ok. So they don't tend to rot out? I haven't watered them since may. I know some people have them in their gardens. The greenhouse is very airy and gets lots of wind.

So you think it's ok to give them a little water every month or so?

Also, I have the slow release from Collectors Corner. How much should i use? Maybe a small handful round the base of the plants just underneath the soil? Can I add it now, or maybe wait till late August / early September?

Unfortunately I have repotted them in Collectors Corner mix, and the other in a Bunnings succulent mix, but next time i'll add some sand.

As we rent I have to keep them in pots :-( However, once we get our own place i'll be planting them in the ground.

They were the fattest ones I could find. There is one in collectors corner that is around 2 metres high. $1000 and it's yours!!

Do you have any pics by any chance??

Regards,

Paul M.
Back to top Go down
prier

prier

PostSubject: Re: Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana   Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 10:45 pm

They won't rot if they have a well draining mix. I wouldn't bother watering em, just let the rain do its thing.
Slow release is great, the stuff from collectors corner is just a standard fert, any all purpose will work well. I'd recommend about half a cup for every ten liters of soil. it can be added any time of year. now is fine.

I'm on the road at the moment, but when i get back home i'll post up some pics for ya.

prier.
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana   Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 5:17 am

yeah, please post pics of fatty columnars anyday!!!
Back to top Go down
mr_diesel60

PostSubject: Re: Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana   Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 8:00 pm

So you actually mix the slow release fertilizer in with the soil? I was going to place them around the cactus about 2-3 below the surface?

Yeah, put some pics of your pasacanas up for sure!!
Back to top Go down
prier

prier

PostSubject: Re: Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana   Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 9:19 pm

mixed through is def preffered, but i add a bit to the top layer of soil (like your talking about) when i get lazy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana   Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana Empty

Back to top Go down

Growth rate of Trichocereus pasacana
Page 1 of 1