Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
How should i pollinate fockea edulis Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
How should i pollinate fockea edulis Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
How should i pollinate fockea edulis Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
How should i pollinate fockea edulis Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
How should i pollinate fockea edulis Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
How should i pollinate fockea edulis Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
How should i pollinate fockea edulis Empty

How should i pollinate fockea edulis

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
cactuscook
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: How should i pollinate fockea edulis   How should i pollinate fockea edulis EmptySun May 02, 2010 9:55 pm

I have several fockea edulis that happen to flowering i have tryed to pollinate using fine fishing line and pig hair also tryed by touching the flowers together tryed the same last year and i still have had no luck producing seeds. If anyone can help it would be great.
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: How should i pollinate fockea edulis   How should i pollinate fockea edulis EmptySun May 02, 2010 10:55 pm

From reading Desert Tropicals, it seems that this plant is dioecious, so you'll need a male and a female plant to get seed. It may be a silly question, but you're not trying to breed male-male or female-female, are you?
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: How should i pollinate fockea edulis   How should i pollinate fockea edulis EmptyMon May 03, 2010 7:59 am

I haven't been able to find specific diagram, but Fockea are a member on the Asclepiadaceae which as a rule have a complicated flower structure where the pollen mass "locks" into place in the receiving flower. Like a lock and key arrangement, and as such pollination is a little harder to achieve artificially... so even with a male and female plant you might have difficulties without using a microscope and tools etc.....
Back to top Go down
cactuscook
cactuscook

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-04-29

PostSubject: Re: How should i pollinate fockea edulis   How should i pollinate fockea edulis EmptyMon May 03, 2010 9:46 pm

Thankou for your replies i have 18 fockeas of 15 are flowering and the flowers look the same i should put them outside as i heard fruit flys pollenate them although we dont want fruit flys in sth aust hope that an insect might help either way when i go back to cairns ill ask my friend how.
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: How should i pollinate fockea edulis   How should i pollinate fockea edulis EmptyMon May 03, 2010 11:05 pm

Worth a try, I've heard that putting it near water helps also as you get the small gnats and flies etc
Back to top Go down
shortly

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-06-28

PostSubject: Re: How should i pollinate fockea edulis   How should i pollinate fockea edulis EmptyWed May 05, 2010 7:28 pm

Even a feeding station might be worth a try. Austroplebeia bees often polinate my stapeliads.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How should i pollinate fockea edulis   How should i pollinate fockea edulis Empty

Back to top Go down

How should i pollinate fockea edulis
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Australian Cacti Forum :: - :: Succulents-
Jump to: