Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Buying seeds from O/S??? Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Buying seeds from O/S??? Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Buying seeds from O/S??? Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Buying seeds from O/S??? Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Buying seeds from O/S??? Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Buying seeds from O/S??? Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Buying seeds from O/S??? Empty

Buying seeds from O/S???

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TasV

TasV

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2010-03-12

PostSubject: Buying seeds from O/S???   Buying seeds from O/S??? EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 6:15 pm

I've purchased some seeds from Botanical-Archives. I made sure I had the allowable imports list open and at the same time had Desert Tropicals open to make sure anything that didn't appear on the list wasn't actually an old name or a newer classification. One of the lots of seed was Mammillaria albicans, however, it was listed by B-A as Mamillaria slevinii; an old synonym. Albicans is on the allowable imports list whilst slevinii is not. I've tried contacting them three times now to see if they can send them over under the correct name of M. albicans but have not received anything back from them at all except an acknowledgement that they have sent the seeds. Has anyone bought seeds from O/S before and if so how switched on are quarantine? Are they likely to pick up that these seeds really are on the allowable imports list or are they just going to look at the name and confiscate the seeds because it does not appear on their list? If they do confiscate it are they likely to try and fine me? I might try and contact quarantine and give them the heads up that this package is on its way so that at least I have some documentary evidence that I am trying to do the right thing.

EDIT: B-A FINALLY got back to me and it seems they HAD seen my request and have sent it as albicans... so should be all good Smile

Last edited by TasV on Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
WoodDragon

WoodDragon

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds from O/S???   Buying seeds from O/S??? EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 8:50 pm

Interesting result TV.

When I am flush again in the future I am aiming to get some stuff from BA - they have a few species that I've not seen anywhere else.

Might still need to stew up the male twin though... Wink
Back to top Go down
TasV

TasV

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds from O/S???   Buying seeds from O/S??? EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 9:39 pm

Hey WD... there are multiple sets of seeds in this batch... if I get more than two of each one come up you are welcome to some... I really only want to keep two of each (for cross pollination purposes... and small greenhouse restrictions). As I mentioned in my PM to you I'm also happy to split an order too Smile I'm mostly interested in Mams at the moment but will no doubt diversify at some later date.
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds from O/S???   Buying seeds from O/S??? EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 11:15 pm

Shouldn't be an issue TasV, but AQIS won't do any leg work, so if they were wrongly tagged they would have destroyed them, even if they were synonyms. In the old days they'd detain them and you'd have a chance to point out the facts to them, but it isn't like that anymore. These days they destroy first and ask questions....never !
You're in no danger of fines etc unless you're obviously trying to bring unallowed stuff into the country and even then I'd think you'd need to be a serious (ie blatant) or repeat offender....and in your case of it being a synonym, no danger at all. In the old days I had synonyms detained but after sending them a list of valid names, they released them to me.
While quarantine is a serious thing, the way it is now done is a joke. It was much better for us and probably easier for them when it was done by genus...
Back to top Go down
CactusPolecat
Calm and Collected
CactusPolecat

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2008-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds from O/S???   Buying seeds from O/S??? EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 5:32 pm

I've done likewise on a couple of occasions with no issue.
What Navahoa says isn't far from the truth, these days the quarantine dept are pretty ruthless. I have heard a few horror stories from friends in the nursery industry.

I used to import seeds regularly 30 or so years ago, and back then the local Department was very helpful and reasonable - providing you were not importing anything illegal of course as Nav said.

Cheers, CP.
Back to top Go down
TasV

TasV

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds from O/S???   Buying seeds from O/S??? EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 9:22 pm

I'm a big believer in quarantine laws and so always try to follow the rules closely. Unfortunately, I also think quarantine is a joke at the moment. I've recently imported two lots of rose seeds from the U.S. and from India and went to the trouble of finding out what to do, alerting quarantine of their arrival, making sure they were on the allowable imports list, etc. The lot from India came in with a quarantine inspection sticker stuck to it but the one that came in from the U.S. hadn't even been opened despite being clearly marked on the front that it contained rose seeds. The lot of seed that came in from India were very clean and had been sorted carefully to ensure only good quality seed came through. The batch from the U.S. came in and there was fungus growing on some of the seed because the hip flesh hadn't been cleaned off properly and they were too soft (a sign of immaturity. Before they harden they are prone to fungal infections). As a rule I always keep the seeds in tuff plastic bags for a few months whenever I get seeds in from O/S and I'm glad I did with the seeds from the U.S. because a week after arriving a few small adult wasps chewed their way out of one batch of seeds and into the bag. They died in the bag but this wouldn't have happened if quarantine had inspected it and treated it with insecticide as they were meant to have. So... that's why I was anxious about what other people's experience was with their O/S cactus imports (despite having a feeling that it probably would have been ok).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds from O/S???   Buying seeds from O/S??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Buying seeds from O/S???
Page 1 of 1