Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Buying seeds from o/s Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Buying seeds from o/s Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Buying seeds from o/s Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Buying seeds from o/s Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Buying seeds from o/s Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Buying seeds from o/s Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Buying seeds from o/s Empty

Buying seeds from o/s

Go down 
+5
trigonus
Hellonasty
MichaelCactus
parrotsheaven
Vicki
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Vicki
Calm and Collected
Vicki

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Buying seeds from o/s   Buying seeds from o/s EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 5:54 am

I see lots of items on Ebay selling seeds from o/s. Are there any restrictions on importing them? What's the possibility of customs seizing the seeds and is there a fine if they do so? I would like to know the experiences of other members please as I would like to try the different hybids of Astrophytums from seed and buying from o/s seems like the only way to get my hands on them.
Back to top Go down
parrotsheaven
Calm and Collected
parrotsheaven

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds from o/s   Buying seeds from o/s EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:43 am

Vicki you must check the AQIS site to see if they are an allowable import

AQIS Search
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Calm and Collected
Vicki

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds from o/s   Buying seeds from o/s EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 7:10 am

I tried that Betty and I keep going round in circles, it finally did my head (and eyes) in that's why I asked here, lol.
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Calm and Collected
Vicki

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds from o/s   Buying seeds from o/s EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 7:24 am

It's ok, just found another post in another thread from Trigonus who states they are allowed, yay and thanks.
Back to top Go down
MichaelCactus
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds from o/s   Buying seeds from o/s EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 8:11 am

Importing of mixed hybrids is apparantly illiegal, as it is too hard for Customs to verify that the mixed seeds arent of another species which arent permitted.
Buying different types of seeds seperately but posting them together is fine, if the seeds arent on the ban list.

I recently bought 150 A.Myrio hybrid seeds, and i asked Lewis if it would be ok, he said it wouldnt, but i asked the seller to *Moderated by Hellonasty*, im still waiting for them, so only time will tell wether they were seized or not.

Michael this is a public forum do not incriminate yourself or the board. Hellonasty
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds from o/s   Buying seeds from o/s EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 1:40 pm

Just a reminder to everyone. This is a public forum and can be read by anyone. Please do not incriminate yourself in any way. Sorry to edit your post MichaelCactus but it is in breach of the forum rules.

HN
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds from o/s   Buying seeds from o/s EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 2:15 pm

Quote :
just found another post in another thread from Trigonus who states they are allowed

Vicki, yes certain seeds are allowed and others are not. You need to check the AQIS site because even if they open and inspect your package, if the seeds are allowed then they just re seal the package and foward it. Hybrids can be tricky, especially mixed hydrids etc. as was mentioned by MichaelCactus.

Also like HN said, this is a public forum, so don't incriminate yourselves.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
Vicki
Calm and Collected
Vicki

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds from o/s   Buying seeds from o/s EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 4:28 pm

Oh ok, thanks all, will have to try and sift thru all the jargon on their site.
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds from o/s   Buying seeds from o/s EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 5:02 pm

It's really easy. Say you want Astrophytum capricorne (is permitted I have checked), or any Astrophytum for that matter. Just type in the genus (Astrophytum) and it should just give you a list of permitted species and some information (which is usually pretty techinical etc.) if it's on the safe list it OK to import.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
MichaelCactus
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds from o/s   Buying seeds from o/s EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 5:47 pm

Woops, thanks for editing that HN Wink
Back to top Go down
WoodDragon

WoodDragon

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2008-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds from o/s   Buying seeds from o/s EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 7:25 pm

I'm a bit puzzled guys. The way I read it, you're supposed to include an importation certificate, which apparently costs $60 for the stuff I have been interested in.

It's this administrative whack that has kept me from buying O/S - is it actually possible to bring in legit seed without expensive paperwork?!
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Calm and Collected
Vicki

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds from o/s   Buying seeds from o/s EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 7:27 pm

Thanks Trig, finally found it. It looks like the seeds that can be imported are the original species, no hybrids No .
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Calm and Collected
Vicki

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds from o/s   Buying seeds from o/s EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 7:29 pm

Here's the AQIS addy for those that are interested:
http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_querycontent.asp
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds from o/s   Buying seeds from o/s EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 7:40 pm

Mostly an importation certificate is ONLY required if the cacti are from seed collected from Mexico (or their native country and it is endangered). On seed lists provided by sellers, these are normally assigned a # symbol, and importing then will need a certificate. All seed collected from Mexico needs a certificate. If the same cacti has been harvested from cultivated plants, then it will be ok (probably) - but you may have to convince customs of that if your package is opened. If you look at Vlado's listing in Australia, he marked the CITES restricted ones also with a #, and charges a premium on the seed because he has paid the import certificate.
Back to top Go down
shortly

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds from o/s   Buying seeds from o/s EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 5:47 pm

Your absolutely right Hellonasty this forum could be read by anyone even gov. officers (a common practice with some departments).
MC if AQIS seize seed though the mail they will send you a seizure notice & you will have the option to return the seed (at your expence) or destruction, & yes i have had sezure notice arrive in the mail instead of my seed.
If they are on the CITES list & you dont have the right paperwork Customs will seize them & they dont give you the option to return them.
On the up side if the consignment isnt to big (i not sure what their exact criteria is yet) & the species are on the allowed list (if its not on the list its "unassessed" so prohibited) its well worth ordering from O/S. if its a larger shipment (mine was 4 species total probably about 800 g before a lost 2 of them, my fault) you are likely to get an inspection bill from AQIS & they know how to charge.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds from o/s   Buying seeds from o/s EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 2:01 pm

I have recently ordered from O/S and as shortly suggests if you have a large number of SP they will go through each one and send you a bill for their time...and it's not cheap. The bill from AQIS was more than the seed cost !!
Back to top Go down
Kada
Calm and Collected
Kada

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds from o/s   Buying seeds from o/s EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 1:28 am

i cant say exactly what is what in Australia, but i do know that without paper work every single package minus 1 did not make it....but you often get a nice little postcard type thing telling what is and isn't allowed to be imported into Australia Suspect
Back to top Go down
http://www.kadasgarden.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buying seeds from o/s   Buying seeds from o/s Empty

Back to top Go down

Buying seeds from o/s
Page 1 of 1