Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses Empty

New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses

Go down 
+3
Navajoa
Lachy
mr_diesel60
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mr_diesel60

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses   New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 12:27 am

Hi,

My name is Paul and I've recently bought my first two cactus plants. I've always had a fascination with cactus but it wasn't until recently I decided to start my collection. I've bought a baby "Golden Barrel" which is around 5 inches in diameter, and I've just purchased a "trichocereus pasacana", which is around 9 inches tall.

I've done a fair amount of reading, so I'm pretty clued up on giving them shade for the few weeks as they have come from a green house environment, watering requirements ect.

However, I do have a question that I cannot find the answer for. I live in a unit so space is a priority. During the colder months (I live in Melbourne) i'd like to put my cacti into a small greenhouse at my mums place.

From what I've read as long as you keep the ventilation up (ie: doors open) you should be safe from fungi infection. Ok, here's my problem:

- Should I put them in a green house for the winter months, or just leave them outside and move them in if frost / heavy rain is expected?

-Should i water them a bit more during winter if they are in the green house? Say maybe once a month? I figured that if they are inside the green house where the temp is higher, they won't remain dormant so much during the colder months.

Thanks for reading. I know it's a bit long winded, but I enjoy the plants and want them to become healthy and well looked after. i think it's a very rewarding hobby, but I still have much to learn!!
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Re: New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses   New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 5:01 am

G'day Paul, and welcome aboard. Very Happy

Trichocereus are a good beginner's cacti for a climate like Melbourne, and as such will generally tolerate outdoor conditions quite well. The key with growing them in winter is to ensure adequate drainage. A free-draining mix is essential for all cacti, and is even more crucial for plants that are to be grown outside during a Melbourne winter. The only thing that would worry me is a heavy frost - in which case, I would bring them inside overnight so they don't get bitten. If they are grown in a greenhouse they should still be in a free-draining soil and during winter will need very infrequent watering anyway so fungus shouldn't be an issue.

I would imagine similar rules apply to the golden barrel.

The only concern I would have with growing them in a greenhouse is humidity. If your mum, for example, is using it to grow tropical orchids the humidity is likely to be around the "dripping wet" range, which will promote rot like there's no tomorrow.

Just a few things to consider.
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

PostSubject: Re: New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses   New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 9:08 am

Those are pretty tough and hardy plants, so will likely survive outside if kept out of the rain and frost. If your going to put them in the greenhouse as Lachy says, be wary of the humidity, but if it's not too damp they'll be fine. No need to water either, and probably safer not too. I stop watering altogether in about May and don't start again until September or so...
Back to top Go down
Emma

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses   New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 9:54 am

Hi Paul,
I'd like to say welcome. I'm new here too and it has been wonderful. And once you start growing cacti I doubt that you'll ever be able to stop.
Back to top Go down
mr_diesel60

PostSubject: Re: New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses   New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 10:14 am

Thanks so much for your replies!

The only plants in the glasshouse will by my cactus. I'll leave a window open to allow air flow going in and out. It's going to be the beginners portable type, but big enough for starters. The green house will be positioned in the sun. So no watering from May through to September. I'll have to remember that.

With the soil, i've purchased the Cacti growing soil from Collectors Corner nursery. It's not too expensive, but in the future I might have a go at making my own.

Yes Emma they can become quite addictive indeed! I find cactus a fascinating plant, and some of the flowers that they produce are simply stunning. I guess that the only down side of the cactus is their growth rate. It takes years if not decades to get them to maturity!!
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2009-11-08

PostSubject: Re: New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses   New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 11:41 am

That is just the best potting mix, any plants I have replanted in that nurseries mix have improved and flourished.
Welcome to the forum, and enjoy!
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-09-07

PostSubject: Re: New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses   New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 8:41 pm

welcome aboard paul!! i have only been collecting since july last year and am now a true cactiphilliac with close to a hundred plants... it gets very very addictive New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses Icon_biggrin

regards
Darren
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Calm and Collected
Vicki

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses   New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 8:45 am

Welcome to the addiction Paul.
I agree with Olga that mix is great, unfortunately it's a 6 hour drive for me to get any!!
Back to top Go down
mr_diesel60

PostSubject: Re: New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses   New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 11:01 pm

New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses Icon_sad Oh dear.... it's a pitty. I just bough more today as I've just re-potted my Pasacana. I live only 10 mins away!! Spoke to the guys there. Really nice and lots of friendly advice!!
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

PostSubject: Re: New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses   New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 11:03 pm

You must be near me Paul, it's very hard on the wallet living so close New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
mr_diesel60

PostSubject: Re: New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses   New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 11:22 pm

LOL true true. It's not too expensive though. A decent sized cactus does cost a bit (a Pasacana was there for $250) and boy, it was tempting to but a foot long Saguaro giant cactus for $60!! I've actually bought a small propagation greenhouse and about to start growing seeds. It's quite adictive and I find cactus a very fascinating plant. Oh, i live in Eumemmering, just past Dandy.
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

PostSubject: Re: New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses   New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 10:21 pm

Tomorrow is my trip to Collector's Corner for some new babies, I've been saving my pocket money New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses Icon_biggrin
I actually just got a baby saguaro online from an excellent seller I discovered, she told me she sowed it in 2006 and it looks about 5cm across, so I don't think it will outgrow me for a long time!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses   New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses Empty

Back to top Go down

New Member in Melbourne. Some questions relating to Green Houses
Page 1 of 1