Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Greetings from Melbourne Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Greetings from Melbourne Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Greetings from Melbourne Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Greetings from Melbourne Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Greetings from Melbourne Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Greetings from Melbourne Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Greetings from Melbourne Empty

Greetings from Melbourne

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Walker87
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2014-03-01

PostSubject: Greetings from Melbourne   Greetings from Melbourne EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 7:46 am

Hello!
Just found this forum after doing some research into cacti, have recently embarked on building a cacti collection.
Currently I have a single San Pedro cactus (pachanoii) and a small collection of zygo (unsure if true cacti)
My plan is to build a varied collection neither specie or region specific, basically anything that catches my eye!
I have ordered half a dozen packs of seed through ebay which will mark my first attempt at raising cacti from seed and with any luck boost my collection to a point where it will consist of more than one cactus!
I'm looking forward to discussing cacti cultivation, sharing a tale or two and I'm confident I will be a regular user of the buy and trade forum.

Prickly regards,

Walker87
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Melbourne   Greetings from Melbourne EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 1:14 pm

Welcome Walker87. Great to have you here.

HN
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2013-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Melbourne   Greetings from Melbourne EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 8:43 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Zygos are true cacti (having been in the genus Zygocactus which is now included within Schlumbergera). If you like them then I would suggest looking into other epiphytic cacti like Rhipsalis and Epiphyllum. The cactus family is a truly varied one!
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Melbourne   Greetings from Melbourne EmptySun Mar 02, 2014 10:22 am

Thanks HN, I've found some great info on the forums makes for great reading.

Cheers Ceroid, good to know they are a true cacti, I really only have the bright pink one as all the colours I have tried have failed they don't seem as robust as the standard hot pink one.
Can't say I am familiar with Rhipsalis but will look into them. I've considered Epiphyllum but they need a decent amount of space, if they're the ones I'm thinking of (like zygo but much bigger leaves and flowers?)
I have so many projects around the yard I've had to start restricting each one to its own little spot!
Back to top Go down
supergirl

supergirl

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2012-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Melbourne   Greetings from Melbourne EmptySun Mar 02, 2014 9:34 pm

Hiya Walker87, looks like you've already gone too far to turn back. It starts with one, then the perpetual one more, one more, etc. Look forward to trading some time.
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Melbourne   Greetings from Melbourne EmptySun Mar 02, 2014 10:04 pm

Yes Epiphyllum spp. are similar to zygos but with the larger cladodes and flowers, but those with the colourful flowers (the species mostly have white flowers) are mostly hybrids. Epiphyllum hybrids are actually intergeneric between multiple closely related genera of epiphytic cacti, especially Disocactus and Epiphyllum. If space is limited then some Disocactus species might work if you like that 'style' of cacti. Note also that if searching for these names, there is also the name Discocactus, which is real but is a completely different type of cactus.
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Melbourne   Greetings from Melbourne EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 9:13 am

Think you may be right supergirl, started with one a fortnight ago and I just bought another 5 this weekend and have seeds on their way! If things go well with my seeds I may very well have a few extras in the coming months.

Thanks for the info Cereoid, a family friend has an inormous ephiphyllum so I may just have to ask for a clipping or two! I saw some riphsalis yesterday but cant say I was overly inspired.
Do you think ephiphyllum will do ok in a hanging basket? I think they'd look nice next to the zygo and that would solve the space issue.
Back to top Go down
supergirl

supergirl

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Melbourne   Greetings from Melbourne EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 8:08 pm

Rhipsalis may not be much to look at but I find the way they cover themselves in modest flowers which look very delicate quite endearing. They're also a forgiving plant when it comes to neglect and they take to cutting readily. All combine to make them a lovely addition to the collection.
Back to top Go down
Cereoid

Cereoid

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Melbourne   Greetings from Melbourne EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 8:18 pm

Hanging baskets will work for most of the hybrids and most (but not all) species. E. oxypetalum gets too tall for a hanging pot but most will hang down and be quite nice.

Not to be pushing for rhipsaloid cacti too much, but one other great point about them is that many tolerate wet. Like raining every day kind of wet.
Back to top Go down
supergirl

supergirl

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Melbourne   Greetings from Melbourne EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 8:30 pm

Very forgiving. Wet, dry, light variable. And they do have such sweet flowers.
Back to top Go down
Walker87
Calm and Collected

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Melbourne   Greetings from Melbourne EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 9:15 pm

I can see the Rhipsalis has quiet the fan club. Maybe I was being a little too harsh on them.
Might just have to pick one up next time I'm out and about, I do have an empty hanging basket spot.
Back to top Go down
rickyscactus

rickyscactus

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2013-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Melbourne   Greetings from Melbourne EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 11:20 pm

Welcome Walker87, ive got heaps off this forum and you will too!!
Enjoy!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Melbourne   Greetings from Melbourne Empty

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Melbourne
Page 1 of 1