Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Snails targeting certain plants... Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Snails targeting certain plants... Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Snails targeting certain plants... Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Snails targeting certain plants... Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Snails targeting certain plants... Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Snails targeting certain plants... Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Snails targeting certain plants... Empty

Snails targeting certain plants...

Go down 
+3
KanJe
Hellonasty
Lachy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

PostSubject: Snails targeting certain plants...   Snails targeting certain plants... EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 7:09 pm

Ahh, snails. The nemesis of many a gardener.

The little buggers have been known to occasionally attack my cacti, but by-and-large will generally leave them alone. However, some plants seem to be constantly munched on by slimy critters, specifically one species of Opuntia (don't ask me which one, I found it growing in my compost heap!), Pereskiopsis spathulata and Echinopsis backebergii. Anyone know why this is so? Are some of my plants particularly delicious?
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Snails targeting certain plants...   Snails targeting certain plants... EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 8:27 pm

Lachy,

All of your plant are delicious to snails and they will eat any of them given the chance. The issue is some of the plants are harder to attack than others, some have too many spines or are a difficult shape but the most common reason is the skin is too tough / thick. Thick skinned plants are harder to munch through and thus are targeted less, it does not mean they will never be eaten they are just harder targets.

I have heaps and heaps of problems with snails at my place.....I hate them.

HN
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Snails targeting certain plants...   Snails targeting certain plants... EmptyFri Oct 23, 2009 9:38 am

Crackle crackle, squish squish.

I learnt this the hard way, they love most of my trichos.
Lesson of the day: dont put tricho pots next to vege garden. Snails targeting certain plants... Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
https://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/KanJe_Garden/
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Snails targeting certain plants...   Snails targeting certain plants... EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 4:15 pm

Lachy,
You may want to consider putting down some snail pellets around your plants to kill the snails (and slugs too). I have used these with good results. Mind you be careful if you have pets/small children around which may frequent the treated area.
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: Snails targeting certain plants...   Snails targeting certain plants... EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 9:08 pm

Cheers for the suggestion, Lewis. I generally dislike using any sort of pesticide in the garden however I have found some bait that is supposedly "pet safe". I've also moved some of the more attacked cacti to a place that should be less accessible to slimy critters.
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Snails targeting certain plants...   Snails targeting certain plants... EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 8:09 pm

My only gripe about snail bait is that if you have bluetounges in your area and they eat a baited snail it will digest and kill them. The above mentioned pets and children is not such a big issue as stated you can get petsafe versions.

I always found moving them up off the ground and REMOVE! any uneeded shady plants/ ground ferns or other such plants they will be lurking in away from where you grow your cacti. luckily I faced that problem last year. and now I have a great baren backyard to teraform into a giant cacterium. with not a snail in sight.... however now im facing burn issues as I have no shade.

You cant beat em.....so SQUISH EM!!
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: Snails targeting certain plants...   Snails targeting certain plants... EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Well, I've tried a few things to deal with the snails, and as much as I hate to say it the metaldehyde-based baits seem to be the quickest-acting and most effective thing that I've seen yet. It's a shocker of a chemical, but it does the job for sure.

This is the result of an overnight rainfall and the subsequent tossing out of a few handfuls of bait...

Snails targeting certain plants... Snails10
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: Snails targeting certain plants...   Snails targeting certain plants... EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 2:38 pm

My poor bridgesii!

Snails targeting certain plants... Grrr10

Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Snails targeting certain plants...   Snails targeting certain plants... EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 5:28 pm

Ah..so im not alone in having fresh new growth on bridgesii scarred up night after night,more slugs though than snails. I havent been growing many leafy greens lately to deter snail and slug population growth...but ever present to more or lesser degree.I havent been caught throwing them over the neighbours fence yet lol (dont worry they have no garden) that poison looks effective lachy
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: Snails targeting certain plants...   Snails targeting certain plants... EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 6:58 pm

Yeah, it's definitely a real nuisance. The little buggers seem to prefer bridgesii and peruvianus to pachanoi and scopulicola (I wonder why..? Laughing) and they really love the soft, juicy stems of chamaecereus, so much so that I've had to remove couple of plants from the garden bed that were just continually getting attacked.
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Snails targeting certain plants...   Snails targeting certain plants... EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 7:40 pm

I found that the slugs hid inside my pots of the plants they attacked ,accessed via the drainage holes. Gave the pots a soak in the laundry tub,drowned the blighters ,good for ridding pots of slaters also of which I have quadrillions...
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: Snails targeting certain plants...   Snails targeting certain plants... EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 7:44 pm

They're all evil little blighters... Inasmuch as I really dislike using chemicals on my garden, I think the snails are leaving me with no option.
Back to top Go down
dvg

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Snails targeting certain plants...   Snails targeting certain plants... EmptyMon May 02, 2011 2:43 pm

Have any of you tried copper strips or even bare copper wire...

...i've heard that it deters slugs, and i'm guessing it would also keep the snails at bay as well.

dvg
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

PostSubject: Re: Snails targeting certain plants...   Snails targeting certain plants... EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 4:23 pm

Grr... the snails are continuing to attack, despite my relentless use of bait. I think it's keeping the numbers of them down, but apparently my pach patch is absolutely delicious to the buggers at this time of year.

Quote :
Have any of you tried copper strips or even bare copper wire...

Does it count if the copper wire is hooked up to the mains supply? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
dvg

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Snails targeting certain plants...   Snails targeting certain plants... EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 4:18 pm

Lachy wrote:

Does it count if the copper wire is hooked up to the mains supply? Twisted Evil

It might not hurt...as long as you don't get across it.

If you have any stale beer, maybe leftover from a party or some such, you can pour some of that in a bowl.

The beer attracts them and then they drown in it.

They also don't make out too well trying to cross a line of salt either.

dvg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Snails targeting certain plants...   Snails targeting certain plants... Empty

Back to top Go down

Snails targeting certain plants...
Page 1 of 1