Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Greenhouse Robbery Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Greenhouse Robbery Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Greenhouse Robbery Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Greenhouse Robbery Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Greenhouse Robbery Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Greenhouse Robbery Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Greenhouse Robbery Empty

Greenhouse Robbery

Go down 
+13
cryptocarpa
prier
Bobblybook
Navajoa
AmnesiA
shortly
Lachy
Vicki
Hellonasty
CactusPolecat
scarab
lewis
KanJe
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 11:03 am

I woke up this morning, walked out my front door to see a A. asterias
graft out of it's pot next my letter box. So I thought wtf? A couple of
metres away I see another plant out of it's pot, an A. myriostigma,
wtf? I continue to walk around the side of my house to see one of my
bigger T. peruvianus snapped in half with a cut half way through it.
Again my thoughts are wtf? As I get to my backyard I can see all my
Trichos are there out side so I continue to my green house....WTF!

After managing to stop hyper-ventilating I can count 10 trays missing.
Around 200-300 plants all up I think. All of these trays contained my
most rare cacti, mostly mexican varieties. Also the mother plant of a
rare sage maybe 60 cm tall.
Some of the types cacti stolen were as follows,
Lophophora williamsii
Lophophora diffusa
Lophophora diffusa x williamsii
Ariocarpus hybrids
Ortegocactus macdougallii
Astrophytum asterias cv SK's etc. (2 were around 10cm wide)
Astrophytum caput-medusae
Obregonia denegrii
Turbinicarpus (too many to remember, 1 about 10cm wide)
20 x selenicereus wtf?
some weird stapeliads, pseudolithos and trichocaulons
various Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Rebutias, Lobivias.
Cleistocactus

These are the ones I noticed strait off the bat. I'll name more later
when I get home as I was in a bit of a state this morning. If there are
any wise guys out there who are thinking of giving me poop out of
charity or pitty that's not what I want. I just want to put it out
there in case anyone sees any of these plants out there suspiciously
together all of a sudden.
Just putting it out there.
Back to top Go down
https://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/KanJe_Garden/
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 2:13 pm

OMG!

KanJe dude that's not cool!!!

Greenhouse Robbery Icon_eek Greenhouse Robbery Icon_sad Greenhouse Robbery Icon_mad Greenhouse Robbery Icon_evil

What a terrible thing to have happen.

My condolences.
Back to top Go down
scarab

scarab

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2009-08-22

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 3:05 pm

thats freakin disgusting!
i am so sorry for you
someone who really knows the rarity of all that stuff? i mean not just random tools going for lophs or whatever
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 3:21 pm

Thanks. Who knows who it might have been. Not sure if it's worth even thinking my energy thinking about. Best to let go I think. hmm...
Back to top Go down
lewis

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 3:29 pm

Quote :
someone who really knows the rarity of all that stuff? i mean not just random tools going for lophs or whatever

well by the sounds of things they did take the lophs. Greenhouse Robbery Icon_sad

but then again there are a lot of rare specifically collectors cacti in that bunch also.

strange is
20x selenicereus?
Echinopsis??
wtf?

maybe the culprit/s knew poop-all about the plants and just grabbed 10x random trays indiscriminately with whatever happened to be on them?

200-300 plants is a solid cleanout Greenhouse Robbery Icon_mad the collective value of that selection mentioned would be pretty high.

edit: wtf since when does s-h-i-t get edited to poop?
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 4:15 pm

Yeah, I dont have a huge amount of plants but I'd guess that's about half my collection that was taken.
Back to top Go down
CactusPolecat
Calm and Collected
CactusPolecat

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2008-10-06

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 5:09 pm

Lousy mongrels!!! They should be beaten with a large stick. Greenhouse Robbery Icon_twisted

CP
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 10:48 pm

Man this is horrific and against everything this community stands for !! I'm disgusted. How anyone could do this to another cacti lover is beyond me.

I hope your doing ok KanJe I would be gutted
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Calm and Collected
Vicki

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-07-23

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 9:37 am

Omg Kanje that is just awful. Why would anyone other than a cacti collector do this? Most peeps think oh yeah thats just an ugly cactus. Did you report it to the police? Have you asked your neighbours did they see or hear anything suspicious? Has is come to this that we have to lock our collections up?
I am truly sorry this has happened to you Greenhouse Robbery Icon_sad
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 11:04 am

Mate, that is appalling news. I am saddened and disgusted that anyone would do that to a fellow collector, particularly when it seems highly likely that the culprit is also a collector themselves.
Back to top Go down
lewis

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 1:42 pm

I still can't get over something like this could happen.. Greenhouse Robbery Icon_sad
Utterly disgraceful.

hey guys, it might be a good idea to watch ebay and keep an eye out for sudden influxes of rare plants in Vic!
It might also help if members here who are in Victoria watch out for weekend markets and plant sales.
Perhaps reporting to this to the CSSA would be a good move too.

Last edited by lewis on Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
shortly

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 2:07 pm

I could just as easily be someone wanting a quick buck. so keepin an eye out is worth while, but probably will go as a trickle.
I lost most of my Aroid collection several years ago, now I grow mid sized euphorbia's as a hedge around my green houses & keep the doors locked.

Its no wonder some of us are a tad paranoid about letting anyone near our collections.
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 6:04 pm

NOOOO!!!! K'man that really is low bro. Id be locking greenhouse pronto, If you wish to let it go that is all good and understandable.

However, you should report it to police with a realistic $$ value and possibly report it in a local neighborhood watch notice if you have one for your area. ..... and if your insured, CLAIM it... you can claim stolen plants, tho there are some strange rules to it. and you might want pez's boss to write you out what they were worth at commercial value.

it's someone who is a collector, cos random plant thieves grab a handfull of plants not trays worth.... Id be looking into people that may know your addy from other notable forums that are into ethno stuff. I know you aint looking for sympathy and stuff man but I will see what I can do about hooking you up with some new bits and bobs when I come down for the show.

I'll keep my eye out cos your big turb and a few others I've seen are pretty recognizable. Doubt they will show on the Ebay tho. you could check in on markets in local/surrounding area's But id say they be keeping em not selling em.

WE SHALL UNITE AND REBUILD !! CACTUSSUPERSPIKEPOWERSCOMBINE!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Navajoa
Navajoa

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2009-09-15

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 6:39 pm

You just can't have anything these days without someone else stealing or destroying it. The law would probably do stuff all about it too, thinking "so what, some plants were stolen", not realising the time, effort and attachment you have for them.

Sorry to hear this, but as everyone is saying, sounds like they knew what they were after so I guess all we can do is keep eyes open for something turning up somewhere. Have you got any photo's of the more distinctive plants ?
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 9:02 pm

I'd be reporting it to police. If you suspect someone, let the police know and that could be enough to kickstart their investigation.
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 11:08 pm

Amnesia, your crack me up.
I told the police, the agreed with me that I've got a better chance of finding them than they do.
I am insured and I've put a claim in but I anticipate it will be a battle to get it approved. I have photo evidence for it all though. See how it goes I guess.
I'm also looking at beefing up security too.

I really appreciate the words of sympathy, means a lot.
Back to top Go down
scarab

scarab

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2009-08-22

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 12:39 am

thoughts are with you KanJe
Back to top Go down
Bobblybook

Bobblybook

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 3:29 am

Wow. Definately want to get that greenhouse locked so it doesn't happen again - its a shame someone feels the need to steal such a personal collection...
all the best in catching the culprit & sorting things out.
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 6:59 pm

Get a big scary dog ! hehehe that will sort out the thieves Smile
Back to top Go down
prier

prier

Number of posts : 107

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 2:32 pm

C*NTS!!!

**Edit by Hellonasty lets keep this a family forum
Back to top Go down
cryptocarpa
Calm and Collected
cryptocarpa

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 1:27 pm

I just got on here and read all this. I add my voice to the condemnation. There is no honor for the perpetrators! They are lower than root mealy bugs. There is a special torment for such people involving golden barrels and disembowelment for such people.
But seriously karma will get them. Anyone so attached materially to what are truly spiritual plants has lost sight entirely of the bigger picture. Such ignorance will prevent a true appreciation of those plants as well as life in general and cause a lot of bad poop to happen to them with no chance of enlightened understanding. At the end of the day it is better to have no possessions and deep understanding of life than it is to be an ignorant materialistic C*NT!
Why is it that theft is so common with plants? Who can take pride in a collection they stole? Greenhouse Robbery Icon_pale
I hope you rise like a phoenix from this Kanje and go on to build an astounding collection. I know you have what it takes man.
Back to top Go down
Eric clough

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-09-05

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 12:27 pm

What part of Vic was this in? Will keep my eyes open around markets.
Sorry to hear about this, would devastate me if that happened.
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 9:03 am

I live just near the city. All I can ask is for people to keep their eyes out.
Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Gracie
Calm and Collected

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2008-05-02

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 9:10 pm

hope you did report this to police.. the guy i got my stuff from had his collection hit really hard to the tune of a couple of thousand dollars worth and the police were notified . he was pretty P'd off and passed heaps of what was left onto me. hence my good start as a collector.. meanwhile the police were doing their bit. and from the sky found the stolen collection. positive ID was made and the culprits copped it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kilomuncher.com
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 7:11 pm

dude that really sux ,maybe these people are known to you...what about an add in the paper to alert the public , reward offered?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Greenhouse Robbery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greenhouse Robbery   Greenhouse Robbery Empty

Back to top Go down

Greenhouse Robbery
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next