Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!

Go down 
+8
prier
Olga
lewis
Lachy
Ruthie
Darren
Vicki
AmnesiA
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-12-03

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 9:37 pm

Just thought id share some progress, I been way tooooo lazy and should have built this 4months ago but it has been a bit of a challenge for a non handy - handy man and getting the slab and time to build has been on the bottom of my to-do list, with winter comming i thought id better get more pro active. 16ft x 10ft g/h Cant wait to deck this baby out. and finally get a bit more serious.

And yes my grass is long..... what's your point (I'll try to update as i go)
ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! IMG_0634
Back to top Go down
Vicki
Calm and Collected
Vicki

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2008-07-23

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 8:33 am

Wd, you'll have to keep us updated. As for the grass - it's the bloody weathers fault - I ended up using roundup on a heap of mine was drivin me nuts!
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-09-07

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 3:51 pm

we dont need to worry about round up for our lawns in adelaide.. they are all dead!!! still on heavy water restrictions and no rain in sight.

that greenhouse is going to look great i am sure you will make some people envious... especially me! ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Icon_biggrin

regards
Darren
Back to top Go down
Ruthie

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-10-26

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 5:21 pm

Wow ,Iam so envious ! A new greenhouse and a back yard full of lush green grass. My back yard is dust bowl at the moment! Keep us posted with more pictures
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 5:43 pm

ok so it's a little bit more done since last. and this photo was while i was working on it but all the support arms for the poly panels along the frame and the roof frame are done. bit more work to do with the frame and the 4 vent frames then the polycarb panels will go in. this time you get to see some garden bed.... these will most likely get bigger and span around the greenhouse. P.s that is not a red tricho flower. it is a horrible rose that was pulled out of the really ancient garden bed that was once there.... but it returned. ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Icon_evil

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! IMG_0671
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 6:43 pm

I have serious greenhouse envy right now. Laughing
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 7:27 pm

OMFG wow that's gonna be epic! ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Icon_biggrin

BTW, wow, it actually rains in Gypsyland! nice n green lawn.
it really does look like that trich is flowering too.
i can't wait to see the finished product. very good work so far, congrats.
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2009-11-08

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 11:31 pm

I thought there was one of those red flowering echinopsis there I'm after ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Icon_biggrin
Is that a kit greenhouse?
Back to top Go down
prier

prier

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-04-04

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 12:09 pm

Hell Yeah!!!
bout' time.
those trichos in the background look just lovely;)
Back to top Go down
prier

prier

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 12:12 pm

lewis.
hehehe. that aint a tricho flowering. there's damn weedy roses in that garden bed. almost tricked me too at first.
Back to top Go down
prier

prier

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! EmptyMon Mar 01, 2010 12:16 pm

oh yeah,
loomy, that is the coolest avatar.
"I controls the spice" hehehe.
Back to top Go down
lewis
avid contributor & moderator

Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-05-07

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 3:29 pm

Hey amnesia just wondering how cold does it get in winter out your way?
Back to top Go down
mutant
Calm and Collected
mutant

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2010-01-10

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 9:27 pm

GH envy too here!

fantastic setting
Back to top Go down
mr_diesel60

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-02-22

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! EmptyTue Mar 02, 2010 10:48 pm

That's going to be an epic green house!!!

You know it's not much smaller that the unit that we're renting at the moment!!

Keep us updated!!
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 7:15 pm

Thanks all.... Appreciate the envy! ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Icon_biggrin To answer some questions Yes it is a kit g/h. the slab I had to really dick around to get at a rock bottom price from a top bloke and a fucking awesome concretor so I paid $700 which including getting the truck to deliver paying cost price for materials and some hardyakka a few hundy for him and his offsider and a slab of beam. and then we sat around getting drunk in the sun watching it dry..... But you would pay anywhere from $1000-1400 for a slab of that quality and size. the g/h $900 should have paid about $1400 and in retrospect it may not have been the best quality it's clip'd not grooved panel fittings but for me I aint moving it so I will silicone the panels anyway. just to add to sturdyness. $50 for the dynabolts and brackets etc to set it into the slab. and your owntime which you will need a bit of. so all up so far $1650 I do want to install some better gutters and water tanks and need to buy and fit the shadecloth. so I estimate $2k in total once im fully finished. Having said that (thanks rudd and thanks Taxman) . 2k is HELL cheaper than trying to pay a retailer id say more like 4k upwards ! 16ft by 10ft is pretty darn large. But you could make something rudimentary and just as functional for alot less..... Lewis it does get quite cold but it's more the frosts and rain. you can check the averages on record here http://www.weatherzone.com.au/climate/station.jsp?lt=site&lc=85279

Thanks all. I'll do some more work this weekend so more updates then.
-A
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! EmptyWed Mar 03, 2010 8:42 pm

Olga wrote:
I thought there was one of those red flowering echinopsis there I'm after ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Icon_biggrin
Is that a kit greenhouse?

i planted one of my cuttings in the garden & one is in the hothouse so first pup is yours olga ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 2:25 pm

Hi ,did you need council approval for this greenhouse Amnesia? And was it one of those ones you find on e-bay? I am wanting one or 10 lol, exactly like it but maybe i could do the slab myself if im allowed
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 7:38 pm

I guess that depends on where you want to put it. I think permanent fixed structures (slabs) do need permits but it vary's so much from council to council . it's all BS if you ask me. but it's kinda like your seatbelt. take the risk or dont. choice is yours. yes it is a kit house, you should spend the money on a decent one tho with grooved channels to fit your panels (alot better if your in a windy area) or unless you like me and dont want to move it you can seal all panels with silicone/sealers which is prob just as solid. either way if your going to spend round 1k you might as well spend 1.5k and get the decent grooved panels prob better quality too.....

-A
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 7:41 pm

Darren wrote:

i planted one of my cuttings in the garden & one is in the hothouse so first pup is yours olga ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Icon_biggrin

Thanks Darren! That would be awesome.
As far as I am aware you don't need council approval for structures as long as they are under a certain size, it is 20sqm in our area, I have not read up on slabs though
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 8:53 pm

you would probably understand why the council needs approval when you see the hot house i threw together. all up it cost me $80 and that was mostly the screws to hold the (god knows how old) suntuff that i found on the side of the road on hard refuse day. there was some windy weather here in adelaide a while ago and i was stressing badly about wether it would hold out ... so far so good!!!

BTW olga... no pups yet ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 10:22 pm

No worries Darren, I haven't even started moving the plants to the new house yet ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Icon_eek I haven't got much time other than to do a daily check on them, the garden is months and months off.
I was just talking to the guy who is doing our driveway today and he offered to show me how to pour and finish cement, he said we should be able to do a small area for a greenhouse ourselves
Back to top Go down
blowng
Calm and Collected
blowng

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-10-28

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 11:03 am

Some different plans here for a do it yourself greenhouse i have been perusing... http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1105/ANR-1105.pdf
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 4:05 pm

Update, Things went a little shitty physically and structurally I messed me back up and had some major delays in doing the panel work. A good friend came down and gave me a hand finishing off the panels work. and then for the next week we had extreme winds which tore it pieces multiple times. I had planned to silicone all the panels this weekend but the weather has once again beaten me back . still you can see it's coming together. I shall take a finished product photo once I silicone and weed those beds.
ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! IMG_1337
-A
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 8:32 pm

i am so going to get one of those greenhouses if i get another house with more room, it looks excellent and i reckon my wife might even let me get one.
Back to top Go down
Lachy
Lachy

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2008-04-05

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 9:14 pm

I can't wait to see where this project goes. The bed alone is looking pretty drool-worthy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!   ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE! Empty

Back to top Go down

ZOMG!! GREENHOUSE!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next