Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Help growing unknown succ. leaf Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Help growing unknown succ. leaf Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Help growing unknown succ. leaf Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Help growing unknown succ. leaf Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Help growing unknown succ. leaf Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Help growing unknown succ. leaf Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Help growing unknown succ. leaf Empty

Help growing unknown succ. leaf

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Bobblybook

Bobblybook

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Help growing unknown succ. leaf   Help growing unknown succ. leaf EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi everyone, hopefully someone can help me out! Smile

I found (yes, found) a somewhat healthy leaf of a succulent which I took home. I wasn't worrying too much about it, but since it hasn't died yet it's become a sort of side-project of mine to try and save it. I think it may be an echeveria, but I haven't seen it anywhere. I've had it for a few weeks now but it hasn't rooted itself. It seems to have been cut quite cleanly and high up on the leaf, not where it would attach to the plant itself (if it had fallen off naturally). A few brown thingies have poked out of the cut end of the leaf but haven't really done anything as of yet.
The leaf itself is shrivelling up and it looks like it's about to die. I don't want to water it yet until it grows some roots, since I don't want it to rot.

Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Here's some photos - Hopefully you can see how it has been 'cut' and the brown bits poking out the end (close to the middle). That round spot in the middle of the leaf was not visible at first but as the leaf shrunk, that spot didn't, so now it stands out like a blister.

Can anyone help me save this thing before it dies? I'll be willing to send a cutting to anyone who can help me (once it establishes itself), or is this leaf too far gone?
Back to top Go down
KanJe
watchman
KanJe

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2008-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Help growing unknown succ. leaf   Help growing unknown succ. leaf EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 10:32 am

Dunno about this, I think it most likely will die. Some succulent leaves will offset roots better than others.

You might be able to use a root hormone to stimulate root growth, other than that I'm not sure.
Back to top Go down
https://s673.photobucket.com/albums/vv99/KanJe_Garden/
Bobblybook

Bobblybook

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Help growing unknown succ. leaf   Help growing unknown succ. leaf EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 4:00 pm

I see. Oh well, thanks, I guess I'll hope for the best. I'll start a thread over at the ID forum to see if anyone can help identify it - if its an easy species to acquire it may be better just to buy a healthy plant.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help growing unknown succ. leaf   Help growing unknown succ. leaf Empty

Back to top Go down

Help growing unknown succ. leaf
Page 1 of 1