Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Some advice please.... Unkown problem Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Some advice please.... Unkown problem Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Some advice please.... Unkown problem Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Some advice please.... Unkown problem Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Some advice please.... Unkown problem Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Some advice please.... Unkown problem Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Some advice please.... Unkown problem Empty

Some advice please.... Unkown problem

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Some advice please.... Unkown problem   Some advice please.... Unkown problem EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 9:06 pm

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on what this problem might be..

started out 3 days ago and has progressed at a fairly rapid rate. Below is some photo's
A(from 3 days ago)
Some advice please.... Unkown problem Pc010012

B(today)
Some advice please.... Unkown problem Dsc00214

C(starting on the rest)
Some advice please.... Unkown problem Dsc00215
Some advice please.... Unkown problem Dsc00216
Some advice please.... Unkown problem Dsc00217
I've been told it may be a result of cold burns due to temp changes (I have no idea) And would prefer not to lose ALL my loph's. It started out as speckles of discolourations as you can see in some of these. (Pics aint the greatest, sorry bout that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
-A pale
Back to top Go down
trigonus
Admin & Cactus Fiend
trigonus

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2008-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Some advice please.... Unkown problem   Some advice please.... Unkown problem EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 9:22 pm

Looks like orange rot to me. I would suggest some harsh chemical fungicide. Not an organic option but quite possibly your only option besides letting them all die. Which would be real shame.

I might be wrong, see what others say. Looks pretty bad though, sorry to say.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.auscactiforum.net
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Some advice please.... Unkown problem   Some advice please.... Unkown problem EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 9:25 pm

Ohhhh that is nasty and a very common problem with lohpos. It is a fungal disease of the skin usually caused by poor air circulation, are they insde ? Excessive watering or watering from overhead and wetting the skin. Lopho skin likes to be kept dry and clean.

It can also be caused by infected soil, where the plant tansports water and nutrients containg the disease from the roots into the plant.

Check this out, I lost 2 lophos to this disease very hard to control.

http://forum.auscactiforum.net/pests-diseases-id-control-prevention-f8/orange-rot-rust-beginning-on-the-skin-warning-some-viewers-may-find-distressing-t197.htm
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

PostSubject: Re: Some advice please.... Unkown problem   Some advice please.... Unkown problem EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 9:37 pm

Thanks heaps for the quick replies. I got some rogor the other day but have been waiting for a few opinions before treating.

Hellonasty:
Yes they have been inside for the last week,(unfortunatly) I have put them outside where possible. we had some real shitty weather for a whole week with some HUGE rains. As i have no green/hot house all my plants need to be moved into my shed. though this has always been a fine solution.(plenty of filtered light and good air circulation, never had any problems till now.

I can rogor them tommorow morning as the weather cleared up yesterday. Though do you think this will resolve the problem or am i screwed. *sigh*
As i have never used rogor any suggestions for application?

Thanks Heaps
-A
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Some advice please.... Unkown problem   Some advice please.... Unkown problem EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 9:59 pm

DO NOT use rogor on them !!! They are stressed and it will probly kill them. Buy a systemic Fungicide and treat with that.

I will write a bit about treatment later tonight or tomorrow. I'm busy ATM

EDIT: FUNGICIDE

Last edited by Hellonasty on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

PostSubject: Re: Some advice please.... Unkown problem   Some advice please.... Unkown problem EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 10:03 pm

Thanks H, I'll await some further instructions. untill then off to the nursery in the morn to get systemic insecticide. .....

Thanks in advance.
-A
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Some advice please.... Unkown problem   Some advice please.... Unkown problem EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 11:02 pm

Whoos sorry Amnesia I was in a hurry before and put the wrong word. You want an Systemic FUNGICICE. An example is Fongarid, which works well.

Rogor is a Insecticide and is used to treat/kill....insects Smile

What you have is a fungal disease caused by bacteria and you need a fungicide to kill that off. The problem is fungi are very good at what they do.....rot....which makes them very hard to get rid of.

This is what I would do to treat you plants:

Take them out of the pots and get rid of ALL the loose soil from the roots. You may need to use a little water to achieve this but don't get the skin wet.

Inspect the roots for signs of a rot. If roots effected trim off rotted section and allow to dry as per if you were taking a cutting (3 days).

Mix up Fungicide. I have used fongarid with pretty decent results, mix up to the greater strength range on the bottle. Spray entire plant including roots.

Allow it to dry QUICKLY, semi shade is the best with good air flow (in the wind outside). Wait for it to completely dry and re-pot. Do not water or wet the soil at all, if soil is moist allow to dry first.

That it. I think you should be able to save a few of them.
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

PostSubject: Re: Some advice please.... Unkown problem   Some advice please.... Unkown problem EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 10:30 am

Thanks H
That's all good I figured you meant fungacide as i looked on the side of the rogor bottle and then thought umm no this is insecticide.

So I picked up some fongarid. and will follow your instructions as im sure you know more than I.

Though after having a small discussion with a friend im a little curious as to why your recomending a systemic to spray with? as to my understanding this means it needs to be drawn up through the roots?through watering ? From the sound of it you've had success with using it as a spray but why? .... Just curious.

NOTE: I sliced up the worst damaged and found no inherent signs of orange/rust rot. I've seen it destroy before and there was no slush or soft root. The Taproot was healthy and to the best of my knowledge had no damage. i made 4 slices down the whole root. the only place i could find damage was around the base of the plants joining to the start of the root. and this looked like the edges had stayed too wet. looked like it might have dried and healed eventually.
(this was a little soft, though it didn't have the same look as rot. still had good cell structure, If that makes sense.)

Im still going to follow your advice, though based on what I've just told you im even more confused as to what it might be. any thoughts?

Cheers'
-A
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

PostSubject: Re: Some advice please.... Unkown problem   Some advice please.... Unkown problem EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 11:35 am

It is most definetly rust. It starts on the skin and spreads. It is trying to find a way in to the plant to devour it ! It sounds like you have caught it in time, once it gets inside the plant is lost.

I suggest a Systemic due to its mode of action. Systemics don't just work though the roots, wherever you spray the fungicide it will be absorbed by the plant. It works as a dual action first by fighting and hopefully curing the problem on conatct and then it will be transported though the plant boosting the protection.
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Some advice please.... Unkown problem   Some advice please.... Unkown problem EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 9:15 pm

Good Luck Amnesia!
Back to top Go down
watertrade
Calm and Collected
watertrade

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Some advice please.... Unkown problem   Some advice please.... Unkown problem EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 10:44 pm

are there any developments on this? fingers crossed for you Smile
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

PostSubject: Re: Some advice please.... Unkown problem   Some advice please.... Unkown problem EmptyThu Dec 25, 2008 7:02 pm

Thanks for the support guys, I followed instructions as Hnasty suggested. all were uprooted and sprayed heavy with fongarid and allowed to dry. oven baked some soil sterilized pots and repotted all...... Things have not gotten any worse but my plants are not looking like they will win any prizes for show in the next 40 years. Not that I planned on that anyway.

All in all they are holding out. I wont say the battle is won as im still waiting to see some growth on two of them thou the biggest one in 10cm pot has grown a few mm and you can see the fresh growth as pure and green sunny . so looks like he will be fine. the smaller one with multiple offsets has taken a strange white coating which does worrie me, I presume it's some reaction to the fongarid. mayhaps it got too much of a drench. I might get a brush and some water and try wash it off Suspect . As it seems to be halting growth.

I will happily post some updated photo's if anyone wants to see progress.

On a happier note I felt sad and spent way more money than i needed too on some new lophies as a present to myself for Xmas. and my turb flowered twice so far alongs with some gymnos and some lobivias...... Hope everyone had a great XMAS and i wish you all a fantastic newyear.
Some advice please.... Unkown problem 067d_110
Back to top Go down
calycium
calycium

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Some advice please.... Unkown problem   Some advice please.... Unkown problem EmptyFri Dec 26, 2008 2:02 pm

Nice little collection there AmnesiA - don't forget to keep it away from your others - far away (for a while) IF it was poor circulation and watering, then you might want to have a rethink - bottom watering and a different position.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some advice please.... Unkown problem   Some advice please.... Unkown problem Empty

Back to top Go down

Some advice please.... Unkown problem
Page 1 of 1