Australian Cacti Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» How to treat scale pests on a cactus without removing the blue wax coating?
Some planting advice - Espostoa Emptyby gwhite24 Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 pm

» Cacti Identification help.
Some planting advice - Espostoa Emptyby Eck Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:56 pm

» NSW public campaign on Prickly Pear including Bunny Ears
Some planting advice - Espostoa Emptyby Eck Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:03 pm

» Copiapoa ID ?
Some planting advice - Espostoa Emptyby region4 Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:29 pm

» Cactus accident
Some planting advice - Espostoa Emptyby Eck Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:24 pm

» Anyone still browsing this forum?
Some planting advice - Espostoa Emptyby SlightlyHooked Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

Gallery
Some planting advice - Espostoa Empty

Some planting advice - Espostoa

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

Number of posts : 229
Registration date : 2009-11-08

PostSubject: Some planting advice - Espostoa   Some planting advice - Espostoa EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 7:32 pm

I just got this guy on Sunday (pretty sure it is an espostoa) which the seller told me was about 17 years old. I know she's got a tonne of cacti she sells and grows from seed so I think it probably is pretty old, it's quite tall. Anyway it is growing at a strange angle out of the pot and has a bare corked area at the base of the stem. I am not sure whether to plant it down deeper as it is producing offsets, one very large offset and a few new tiny ones, and I will probably put it in the ground later on. What would you guys do with it? I'm just worried it is a bit unstable at that angle but I am guessing it has survived quite a while in that pot...

Some planting advice - Espostoa Th_IMG_3424

Some planting advice - Espostoa Th_IMG_3425
Back to top Go down
AmnesiA

AmnesiA

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Some planting advice - Espostoa   Some planting advice - Espostoa EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 7:44 pm

Nice score. I wouldn't worry about the corking it is old and things go corked as they age. but who really knows. it may be battle scars from long long ago

I would worry less about the position it's a plant and plants do what they want. especially in a pot. they get moved they bend to find sun again. If you worried about angles go look at copiapoas in the wild they all grow on 45 degree angles. dont bury it deeper!! leave it how it is and if concerned put a stake to support the taller arm. Id put it in the ground!!

I recently put alot of my mamms into the ground and they all grow bent in one direction, tho they were happier in pots lesson learnt (IMHO Pots suck),they give you a false sense of realism good for show not for grow. but alas some we have to keep in pots.
-A
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

PostSubject: Re: Some planting advice - Espostoa   Some planting advice - Espostoa EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 7:53 pm

I'm not concerned about the look, just that he'll topple over. When I plant him in the garden I'll just stake him then, I am guessing he'll keep producing offsets over that area.
That's a worry about the mamms, I have two 20-30cm clumps that have outgrown their pot and I was going to put them in the ground, were they looking for sun? That's a bummer.
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

PostSubject: Re: Some planting advice - Espostoa   Some planting advice - Espostoa EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 7:53 pm

Oh I'd love to see some photos of your garden plants if you ever have time Some planting advice - Espostoa Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Hellonasty
Admin
Hellonasty

Number of posts : 1824
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Some planting advice - Espostoa   Some planting advice - Espostoa EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 8:11 pm

Olga,

Nice plant Smile To fix it and stop it falling over: When you plant it in the ground cut that pup off (a week before) and bury the entire corked section and a little say 3 or 4cm of the stem under the soil. This will create strength and wont hurt the plant at all, it will actually help it grow Smile

I would root the pup in a pot and you have a new plant.

HN
Back to top Go down
Darren
Calm and Collected
Darren

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2009-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Some planting advice - Espostoa   Some planting advice - Espostoa EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 8:18 pm

good score olga!! i have a smaller one of these, i love the furry plants Some planting advice - Espostoa Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Olga
Calm and Collected
Olga

PostSubject: Re: Some planting advice - Espostoa   Some planting advice - Espostoa EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 8:27 pm

Yeah I managed to get her down a little on the price Darren, but I just had to have it Some planting advice - Espostoa Icon_smile
HN there's a lot of small offsets on that area though, would they be able to push through? I just uprooted a large golden torch from the garden and he had some really tiny offsets right at the base (in the ground) so I just potted it deep and hope they'll grow through.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some planting advice - Espostoa   Some planting advice - Espostoa Empty

Back to top Go down

Some planting advice - Espostoa
Page 1 of 1